Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

3 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Cheers buddy. Unfortunately my cousin, who was extremely close to my grandpa, didn't deal with the news well and took her own life so I've been checked out completely last few days. Family is struggling big time.

And, as with any of our heroes, all wasn't as it seemed. The "Olympic' medals (which I hadn't seen for about 25 years) aren't Olympic at all. They're medals from Army and Highland games throughout the late 30s, 40s and 50s. All predominantly tug of war and strength sports. Eugh. Still, it's been cool to look through the old photos and stuff. 

Anyway, I really appreciate the messages folks, it's another example of the community and care on here that enticed me to eventually sign up and start posting after a decade of lurking around.

Funerals are Thursday and Friday this week. Grandpa's is going to be tough because due to COVID there's no embalming, body won't be dressed, didn't get to see him other than by video call and casket won't leave the hearse basically as it's minimal contact. Hard to think that it'll be less than 20 folk allowed considering the whole community would ordinarily have turned out. 

Numb is the best way I can describe my current feeling. Clichéd I know but it's just a bit strange at the moment.

I wish you and your family all the best in this tough time mate 

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

The "Olympic' medals (which I hadn't seen for about 25 years) aren't Olympic at all. They're medals from Army and Highland games throughout the late 30s, 40s and 50s. All predominantly tug of war and strength sports.

Your situation is awful, I'm really sorry for what you and your family are going through. I can't even begin to imagine.

I hope you can look at this thing about the medals as funny and endearing though. I'm sure there's no malice in the lie at all.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I'd prefer a clear message (obvs big fucking LOL with these jokers) that it's an *easing* of measures and here are the eased measures in 72pt Arial Black

Absolutely. I'd really like "sorry, best we can do is 2 households in one place. Please don't breach this, because infection rates" etc. And the Queen backing it up like she did in April would be helpful to that generation.

Instead it'll be woolly, full of holes, ums and ahs and a weird new phrase that Boris's scriptwriters have invented that'll be repeated every day for two weeks. My money's on "this virus is in abeyance."

And be prepared for mega lockdown in January, already the cruellest month.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Your situation is awful, I'm really sorry for what you and your family are going through. I can't even begin to imagine.

I hope you can look at this thing about the medals as funny and endearing though. I'm sure there's no malice in the lie at all.

We found out at my step-granddad's funeral that he hadn't been a policeman during WWII as he'd told us, but had in fact been in prison for counterfeiting £5 notes. We found it very funny, he was a lovable rogue type. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Bet some of your relatives were red faced though when they heard that.

I wonder if I've ever made a post on here that I've not had to edit? You'd think I'd learn to proofread them, but I absolutely won't. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I wonder if I've ever made a post on here that I've not had to edit? You'd think I'd learn to proofread them, but I absolutely won't. 

It's nothing I haven't done myself. 

Not going to pretend to know how you’re feeling @Suplex Sinner, but for what it’s worth you have a whole forum of wrestling fans and socially awkward wronguns in your corner. And the Highland Games is so impressive, I’d be proud as fuck.