Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

The majority of Olympic events are dull as dishwasher anyway, but the Highland Games I could stand and watch all day. If your grandad doesn’t chat shit about his youth, is he even your grandad?  He still sounds like a character and I’m sure you’ll all have a laugh about it when the time is right.

Tragic news about your cousin, it sounds like you have a close knit family and I’m sure you’ll help each other through this. 

So, in work related fun...

Under government guidance we kept our libraries open for reserve and collect and PC access. When that was proposed I mentioned all my concerns to my manager including the fact that people were travelling across multiple sites, both staff and users.

This was discussed in my manager's 1-2-1 with the head of libraries. This 1-2-1 was then accidentally shared with me by the head of libraries. In it I was described as argumentative and that my mental health was impacting my performance at work.

This week 2 libraries had to close because, hold onto your hats, they had failed to take my advice about the bubbles seriously.

Despite the fact that 2 sites ended up with Covid outbreaks, rather proving that the sites aren't Covid secure, they are still going to be hosting support groups for vulnerable people in the libraries. 

Looking forward to my next 1-2-1...

• Paid Members

Bristol almost certainly going into Tier 3 when lockdown ends. With fortnightly reviews, that means there'll be a maximum of six days between the official position here being "too dangerous to go in a pub, watch sport, go in anyone else's house, leave your area or be in a group of 7 in a garden" and "it's safe to bring three households together for five days of Christmas."

I'm not without sympathy for the argument that people's mental health needs to be considered. But there have got to be better ways than saying "Oh go on then, if you can't kill your nan at Christmas when can you?"

It's absolutely being done to spare Johnson's image and it's reprehensible.

And just like the "Fuck off 2020, can't wait for this year to be over" sentiment, folk need to accept that as far as it relates to pandemics and recessions and celebrity deaths, our twelve-month calendar is fucking arbitrary, and there's no more reason to relax in December or January than there was in October or November. This shit won't be over till we put in the work together over a sustained period, not when Jupiter aligns with Aquarius on a low tide.

• Paid Members

I sometimes things politics and politicians live in a weird bubble outside of reality, like wrestling. People can see they’re fucking idiots and making stupid decisions. They can’t answer yes or no questions without skirting around it, yet no one does anything about it.

If a person on the street said, “Fuck the kids, they don’t need free meals” you’d call them heartless. If you asked someone a yes-or-no question and then they just starting jabbering on about something else, you’d just interrupt them and tell them to answer the fucking question. But politicians? It just gets brushed off as, “Well, that’s what politicians do! lol” and abhorrent decisions just lost in a news cycle.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Vamp said:

If the most important thing for Christmas was for families to get together wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the current half arsed lockdown going until then? 

They need shops and places open at the busiest time of the year to keep the economy going. Johnson can't declare himself the Superman of Capitalism if all the shops are closed.