Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

2 hours ago, patiirc said:

Sorry to hear the news butchi.

This year continues to be shit, another one of my mates has gone missing. Shes got a lil boy too:( 

3 days and counting 😢

Updated, she's been found alive, not sure what condition she's in but she's alive. 

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Has she got Covid?

No idea, just had an update from her sister about 10 mins ago to say she's been found. 

Mental health and Covid has been shite up here. Tier 3 or lockdown for a long time and people are starting to come undone under the pressure. 

Welfare check for someone else last night after they sent what was effectively a suicide note. 

The other halves boss is self isolating, and suicidal another mate has had a miscarriage. 

I'm exhausted, I cant keep keeping people together, provide support or in some cases alive in either the day jobs and personal lives too. It's just not working, and I'm emotionally burnt out from keeping a county wide cohort going on my own for 6 months. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, patiirc said:

No idea, just had an update from her sister about 10 mins ago to say she's been found. 

Mental health and Covid has been shite up here. Tier 3 or lockdown for a long time and people are starting to come undone under the pressure. 

Welfare check for someone else last night after they sent what was effectively a suicide note. 

The other halves boss is self isolating, and suicidal another mate has had a miscarriage. 

I'm exhausted, I cant keep keeping people together, provide support or in some cases alive in either the day jobs and personal lives too. It's just not working, and I'm emotionally burnt out from keeping a county wide cohort going on my own for 6 months.

You know this already, but you need to do your own oxygen mask before doing others' sometimes. Being the person that supports is an amazing thing to do, but it's exhausting sometimes. If you're at the level of providing support for your other half's boss, then you might need to restrict the circle a little bit more. It can't always be your job to support.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

You know this already, but you need to do your own oxygen mask before doing others' sometimes. Being the person that supports is an amazing thing to do, but it's exhausting sometimes. If you're at the level of providing support for your other half's boss, then you might need to restrict the circle a little bit more. It can't always be your job to support.

Thanks! It was just an overwhelming day yesterday. Message read loud and xlear, I'm looking at changing one of my jobs because of burn out, ideally need a long rest but haven't had the holidays for a long break as most of them got used for surgery. 

Other halves boss has been in contact with Covid positive person and picked up some equipment from my partner before finding out. They were already chomping at the bit to get back to the office after lockdown 2.

It's not been a fun few months 

• Paid Members

Increase of more than 100 cases in Jersey over the weekend. We've gone from just over 100 three weeks ago to more than 500 today. On Saturday, when we were still officially at 440, I said I wouldn't be surprised if we were at 600 within a week and people said I was being pessimistic - at this rate, I think we'll be closer to 1000. It'll be at least another week before we start to see if preventative measures have had an effect, as the rate of recovery is still far lower than rate of infection.

I'm pretty sure we're now at a higher number of cases per 100,000 than anywhere in the UK, and one of the highest rates of infection in the world. It's terrifying how quickly this can spread through a small community. 

The Education department called an emergency meeting this morning, only to then tell us all that they had no intention of closing the schools. Complete waste of time that was.

• Paid Members

As of Wednesday I am redeployed to work in a testing centre, I dont know if I will be on the desk or talking people through the tests as they do them. 

Worried, but relieved to be back from furlough. However, is this something high up the list for the vaccine? Seems to be to me, but I was unsure and wondered if anyone could guide my thoughts.

Just now, ReturnOfTheMack said:

As of Wednesday I am redeployed to work in a testing centre, I dont know if I will be on the desk or talking people through the tests as they do them. 

Worried, but relieved to be back from furlough. However, is this something high up the list for the vaccine? Seems to be to me, but I was unsure and wondered if anyone could guide my thoughts.

Well, they’ve issued the top five priorities but the initial vaccine supply barely covers the number one on the list. Best bet is ask the question when you’re back or consult your union. 

• Paid Members

Well I've had to do the zoom funeral thing today, which I suppose given my history is probably for the best. 

It was my friends dad. He caught covid in hospital. He wasn't in the best of health and it was only going to get worse so catching covid didnt prolong his suffering at least. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Well I've had to do the zoom funeral thing today, which I suppose given my history is probably for the best. 

It was my friends dad. He caught covid in hospital. He wasn't in the best of health and it was only going to get worse so catching covid didnt prolong his suffering at least. 

Sorry to hear that. It’s definitely an odd experience.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

NHS and social care workers get their vaccines first. I saw a list of what order they were in on the BBC website the other day. Looks like my lady and I will be part of the 4th group. 

Screenshot_20201202_175944.jpg

• Paid Members

Jersey's on 536 cases as of yesterday (roughly 511 per 100,000), waiting on today's update which, based on current trends, should push it up beyond 600. That's assuming an R rate close to 1 - if it's closer to 2, we could be seeing it get up to 700 by today or tomorrow, if recent restrictions haven't started to take effect.

There was a hastily arranged press conference last night that was more damage control than anything I've seen from then in a long time - no attempt at new restrictions or even new guidance, even though we were due guidance on "festive bubbles" on Friday that still hasn't come out. They've pivoted away from "the number of cases is unmanageable" and towards "well, actually, 98% of tests have been negative so it's not as bad as it looks". They made it clear that they had no intention of closing the schools or going back into any type of lockdown, so it's basically "ride it out and hope for the best".

That said, the good news is that the first dose of the vaccine is due to be given out in nursing homes on Monday, so there's something like light at the end of the tunnel.

EDIT: hilariously, after weeks of people asking for a demographic breakdown - because a while back the government were openly blaming teenagers, and have issued no apology when having to now say that there's been no spread among school groups, and after a private event a hotel said, "we shouldn't play the blame game" in spite of having done exactly that when they could shake their fists at kids - they gave the demographic of most cases as "working age, between 20 and 65". Well, that narrows it down.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here. The primary school in the village I live in is tiny, less than 100 pupils. My neighbours boy has been sent home because there has been a positive Covid test in his class. His sister who is in the class above him but 2 years older still has to go to school along with the rest of her class.

That is madness isn't it.