Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

I'm sorry to hear that, Ralphy. My nan is a similar age, and I'll be devastated when she passes - it's obviously frightening with Covid, but at that age, it's not really a question of whether or not something will happen, it's just a question of what it'll be.

If she was that loved and well-thought of at 90, that's something we can all aspire to. Grief is horrible and natural, but it will pass, and you'll have had the luck and privilege of her being such a big part of your life.

Sorry for your loss Ralphy.

Definitely try and let some stuff out to someone somewhere. It's one thing to be strong for someone else but you also need to make sure you look after yourself. It's an incredibly difficult balance but I know from experience that those feelings don't go away if you just bury them. They'll always be there so better to try and deal with them as you go along. 

• Paid Members

My deepest condolences, Ralphy, but also I echo the others saying that your grief is a sign of how much she meant to you. It is a lucky person indeed who has ever had someone like that in their lives. I hope you're holding up OK.

@Ralphy

Being an IT fucking idiot I can't link.this but if you googlevUKFF Hugh Thesz and Grief you will understand my position

All I can advise is let grief be an.arsehole, for which it is, but don't let it make you one. Inam proud that I did not

I swear on.my life, I mean that, this is not a joke.

If you do have a relationship with alcohol it can become an issue due to stress, boredom or habit. Trust me on that one.

Hope you are well or as least as can be. Same anout your Mum.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, KingofSports said:

So, a 28 day lockdown, supposedly planned to end on 2nd December. At best, that'll leave the daily infection rate remaining at a ridiculously high level. End the lockdown, go straight into Christmas and its ensuing carnage, necessitating a longer lockdown shortly after.
An alternative would be some kind of return to the tier system, which at best will stave Covid off to a degree, but ultimately won't work. It's Johnson's project & he's been right on absolutely nothing so far.
The other possibility is that they already know the lockdown must continue and will simply extend it. They wouldn't have the balls to announce it now.
I would ask why we always have to be 2 months behind, but it's simple, we have dangerously stupid 'leaders', lacking in courage, weak and scared....I'm a fucking sage compared to these chumps. The money and lives they've cost through piss-poor judgement, in so many areas. Anyway, Covid will be  having a lovely old Christmas...best ever. Ho ho ho.

So here we go again. Being right is no consolation. Just fucking depressing.

• Paid Members

Jersey's up to 782 cases per 100,000 as of yesterday, so will be over 800 by the end of the day. Higher than anywhere in the UK. The worst case scenario prediction a few weeks back was 1100 by Boxing Day, and we look on track to smash that unless the effect of closing hospitality venues really starts to take effect soon. The Health Minister had to admit that he no longer knows what Jersey's R number is, though people are speculating that it's more likely he knows and doesn't want to announce it it, as it's probably somewhere between 2 and 3.

As a government employee, I was due to be tested again in about six weeks, but they've cancelled all workforce testing for all but frontline workers as they can no longer cope with the numbers. Schools are still open, but more than 50% of students are isolating as a result of direct contact or track and trace. Cases are increasing in the hospital and care homes for the first time since April.

Part of it is that, as a small island community, we've got a much better handle on track and trace than larger countries (that's reflected across some other equivalent jurisdictions), and are doing far more comprehensive testing. The government have pivoted most of their comms to saying "98% of tests are negative" rather than focusing on the case numbers, but the rate of infection is still terrifying, considering we spent most of the year barely in double figures. The hope is that, just as a handful of events caused the spike, similarly a commitment from relatively small groups could see the trend reversed. 

The feeling at the moment is very much that the government has lost control of it, though. There was a lot of speculation on Monday that there had been another death (there have been very few, thankfully), but the government figures don't reflect that. Rather than assuming that it was an unfounded rumour, ordinarily sensible people are thinking that the government are hiding the truth.