Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

People in positions of authority and privilege breaking the rules with no repercussions at all hasn't really helped. 

• Paid Members

There'd been reports of it having mutated earlier this month, and that up to 80% of new cases in some parts of the country were this new variant. This is what life forms do, and if you think about the lifespan of a virus countless generations of mutation and/or evolution can take place over months. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

There'd been reports of it having mutated earlier this month, and that up to 80% of new cases in some parts of the country were this new variant. This is what life forms do, and if you think about the lifespan of a virus countless generations of mutation and/or evolution can take place over months. 

giphy.gif

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

My daughter is due to be born in the next few weeks and my folks were gonna come up in January to see her (I'm in Scotland, they're in Cambridgeshire) so I've just had to phone my Mum and tell her about the new restrictions and national lockdown in Scotland including the travel ban from other parts of the UK. This now means that she's not gonna be able to meet her first grandchild until the restrictions are lifted and she'll have to see her in video chat until then. Fucking shite. 

It truly is.

Do we know when this travel ban comes into effect? Everything I’ve read just says “throughout the festive period” which doesn’t feel especially clear. We were planning to do a present run for the family (basically leaving them on the doorstep) who live just on the English side of the border on Monday afternoon. If the travel ban is with immediate effect we can’t do that. If “the festive period” starts on Christmas Eve or something, then maybe we still can. We’d absolutely follow every safety guideline if it’s still allowed, but if it’s going to be illegal on Monday we have to rule it out.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

As if the variant in SE England doesn't raise any worries, there's this news out of South Africa...

South African scientists and health officials announced on Friday the discovery of a new lineage of the coronavirus that has quickly come to dominate samples of virus tested in the country.

Scientists are examining this particular variant closely because it includes several changes in the part of the virus that allows it to attach to human cells, which is a key target for antibody therapies and vaccines.

The variant, named 501.V2, has also been associated in a preliminary analysis with faster spread and a higher load of virus found in swabs. It has not yet been linked to any difference in disease severity, and the findings have not yet been reviewed by other scientists or published in a journal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/19/world/south-africa-announces-a-new-coronavirus-variant.html

Apologies if i'm asking a stupid question with an obvious answer here - but i'm not at all clear on my situation with this announcement and would appreciate if any of you could make sense of it.

First of all - myself, my mother, my brother and his family are all tier 4 and we all live within 30 mins of each other. Up until 2 weeks ago my brother, his heavily pregnant girlfriend and my nephew were all living with my mother and had been for the previous 2 years. Brother and his girlfriend moved into their own home 2 weeks ago and planned to just have myself and my mother over. I live alone, but i also look after my 2 year old nephew 2 days a week, have done for the past year (except for lockdown 1) and basically most of his life. Since they've moved into their own place my mother now lives alone again also. But she also looks after my nephew regularly (having lived him his entire life until a couple of weeks ago). As far as i gather that classes myself and my mother as part of their "support bubble", no?

Would we be within the guidelines to visit them? Would we be cunts if we did? In all honesty i'm not saying i plan to, i'd be bothered by my Mum being on her own, but i think she may well say it's for the best not to herself anyway. I can get by on my own, i'm one of those that never discuss my mental health with others when i probably should, it's definitely become more of a noticeable struggle recently. I had to have an emergency operation end of October that has effectively left me predominantly in isolation since anyway, save for looking after my nephew. He's become pretty much the only person i see for quite some time now and i adore my time with him, one of the few things that is good for my mental health. I know that my brother and his girlfriend will insist we still come over and i'd truly be gutted not to hang out with my nephew for the day. Only, even if we were to be sticking within the guidelines by going i'd feel shitty doing it when others couldn't as well as how it would probably appear to their brand new neighbours. His girlfriend will also be having a home birth in the next few weeks so could be getting off on very bad footing with them as it is.