Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Absolutely gutted. The only possibility of seeing people indoors for months, dashed. The three of us here are despondent, and angry with others flaunting the rules. 

This is the most depressing thing. Basically everyone who has stuck to the guidance and rules have been given a massive fuck you, worse then when Den served Angie the divorce papers on Christmas Day. And I still don’t think it’s clear as we had planned to see our Mother in Law on Boxing Day who lives alone, who is in tier 4 as well. But she’s a few towns away also in tier 4, and as it’s a different borough, now she’s not allowed, even though she’s our support bubble. It’s all too confusing.

10 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Why? That’s his name…?

As pointed out, if you extend first name terms to all other politicians then fair enough. “Boris” is a well constructed media caricature whose bumbling persona affords him a jovial reception. Haha that Boris, he’s such a character with his posho messy hair and big words and stumbling in sentences. Even that zip line going wrong and him getting stuck was all orchestrated. 

Boris Johnson on the other hand is a nasty piece of work who has been fired from two jobs for lying, left his cancer stricken wife for his mistress, has an undisclosed amount of children from marriages and extra marital affairs, conspired to have a journalist beaten up and loads more. 

Perception is important. The more he is called Boris, the more he is allowed to get away with it. Remember those Facebook memes about how we should leave him alone because he’s doing his best? They wouldn’t be afforded to anyone else because they aren’t a ten year old falling behind in Maths class, they’re a politician. “Boris”is a Ralph Wiggum type and that’s why the threshold of scrutiny was lower. I think more people who voted for his party are seeing through it now but guaranteed, if he wasn’t able to form the Boris persona over years and years of media appearances, such as HIGNFY, he wouldn’t even be an MP, let alone a PM. Because Boris Johnson would’ve been held to a higher account than a cartoon buffoon. 

1 hour ago, LariatTom said:

Making that phone call to my mum 15 minutes ago to tell her we wouldn't see them sucked. 

I hear you man, was on the phone to my sister when the news broke and we called my mum, devasting stuff. Haven't see her all year or my sister, was looking forward to travelling down and spend some time with them, dashed in a second.

Looking like Christmas on my own or just travel down anyways, which must be the thought process for alot of people right now. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LariatTom said:

Making that phone call to my mum 15 minutes ago to tell her we wouldn't see them sucked. She had no idea what had just happened on the news because she was buying stuff for Christmas dinner.

This was pretty much the same situation for me, gutting. My partner's had to do the same with her mum who lives alone. On the plus side, this will be the first Christmas we've spent together. 

My daughter is due to be born in the next few weeks and my folks were gonna come up in January to see her (I'm in Scotland, they're in Cambridgeshire) so I've just had to phone my Mum and tell her about the new restrictions and national lockdown in Scotland including the travel ban from other parts of the UK. This now means that she's not gonna be able to meet her first grandchild until the restrictions are lifted and she'll have to see her in video chat until then. Fucking shite. 

• Paid Members

They did what they had to do. They fannies around by getting everybody all excited for a "normal Christmas" to encourage them to go and buy things first, but they needed to do this given the new strain. They don't go as far as to completely stop people from meeting on Christmas day as they'll be chartering helicopters and speeding around in their limos from their second homes in areas that aren't in tier 4 to spend Christmas with their families, but experts had been advising them to take this kind of action since November. 

I feel for everyone. 

I've not been able to fly back to see my family or friends this year, which is the shits. My folks must be dying inside, since they've not been able to see our son yet (born October 1st) and it's been a year since they've seen their granddaughter (who is almost two and a half).

Luckily for my family they're from/in the North East so they can mix and celebrate Christmas together. I've got a lot of mates and family in the south though who are just gutted. 

I think, when this whole thing finally fucks off, everyone is going to be a lot more determined to spend time with their loved ones. 

I've been on a bombing run of Hide Notifications on Facebook this evening. Tons of aquaintances posting every essay from a minor scientist with "lockdown doesn't work"in the title (conveniently missing the actual argument of the article being" lockdown doesn't work if not enforced rigorously"), arguing that the vulnerable should be isolated forever so the rest can 'get on with things', and pouncing on every loophole to justify why they should be allowed to ignore the new measures. I get it. It's shit. It's been badly managed. I say I've tried to stick to the restrictions from the off, but even I admit I've handled loose trolleys in the supermarket trolley park without sanitising my hands first, and let people pet my dog on our walk out. Ultimately, nothing has really changed since March. The restrictions have been by and large the same, but too many people have been given an inch and taken a mile, and this is dragging on further. I don't buy into the hoax and conspiracy theories. We're still in this because we're fucking it up, not just the pols but the people.

Sorry. Bit of a rant. Keep calm and carry on, etc.

• Paid Members

My mum was going to pick my lady and I up, take us to my gran's for some dinner and presents and then bring us back boxing day. Her pub's big enough that we can be ostensibly isolated in our own areas anyway so contact would be minimised, but with the restrictions being just Christmas day now it makes things a bit awkward for coming back. She's said she'll come over on a present run, and I've ordered hers and my gran's presents to be delivered by amazon so they're there already. If the worst comes to the worst I'll try and hunt down a Cumberland ring to stick in the air fryer and hijack some of the potatoes and veg that the in-laws are making for their dinner. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So we’re all leaving our Spotify on repeat during the night to drive up the streaming numbers, right?

YouTube as well. Make a playlist of it.