All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

55 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Anybody here old enough to remember watching "Ghostwatch" live on the BBC TV in 1992? Place full of young yins now? I must admit to nearly sharting myself but there you go. Looks really, really shit now. Still the odd bit gets me though (like where that strange voice starts appearing, or where you spot a random "Pipes the Ghost" sighting). Probably couldn't do it now. I'd love to see someone try it.

I slept with the light on that night, my mum had so much trouble getting me to go to sleep. I rewatched it years ago and it didn't have the impact it did when I was a kid. No way would they be able to do something like that now. 

1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Anybody here old enough to remember watching "Ghostwatch" live on the BBC TV in 1992? Place full of young yins now? I must admit to nearly sharting myself but there you go. Looks really, really shit now. Still the odd bit gets me though (like where that strange voice starts appearing, or where you spot a random "Pipes the Ghost" sighting). Probably couldn't do it now. I'd love to see someone try it.

Fantastic. This traumatised me as a kid, and every year I repress it all for 11 months, and every October someone brings it up, and I have to sleep in a duvet fort for a week.

It's usually Astro, but you've usurped him this year. It was terrifying.

• Paid Members

Ghostwatch is one of those shows that you had to experience "live" to fully understand. Looking back on it now, the acting from much of that cast is soo wooden and crap(although, the non-actors like Parky, Sarah Green etc are really believable) that you wonder how you could be taken in by it. But live, it was truly terrifying. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Probably couldn't do it now. I'd love to see someone try it.

The closest thing now would be the live episode of Inside No. 9 from a couple of years back - they did a bunch of interviews leading up to it about the studio being haunted, and it plays off a lot of other famous live TV disasters. There's a bit where the live feed cuts out and they apologise and start playing another episode, but then that episode starts getting fucked with too, and a bit where you see the actors in their dressing room reading out Tweets to prove it's going out live. 

It disappears up its arse towards the end, but it has some fantastic moments and one or two genuine scares. It's another that I don't think really works if you weren't watching it live, though my brother watched it on iPlayer and still got caught out because he said he never even considered that the "technical issues" were part of the show. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Ghostwatch is one of those shows that you had to experience "live" to fully understand. Looking back on it now, the acting from much of that cast is soo wooden and crap(although, the non-actors like Parky, Sarah Green etc are really believable) that you wonder how you could be taken in by it. But live, it was truly terrifying. 

You can truly believe that Michael Parkinson was the spawn of Satan in that show. He was excellent.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Watched the original Halloween for the first time last Halloween. Going to watch 2 tonight.

Anyone recommend any "halloween" films for a 3 year old? No recommendations and we watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and that's on you. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Watched the original Halloween for the first time last Halloween. Going to watch 2 tonight.

Anyone recommend any "halloween" films for a 3 year old? No recommendations and we watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and that's on you. 

Nightmare Before Christmas is a good starting point.

• Paid Members

we ended up watching Halloween 2; my girlfriend enjoyed the first movie (she's not really a big horror movie fan, and I sold her on it by saying that it's more about tension building and suspense than gore and violence), and wanted to see where it went, and I wanted to try and explain the whole multiple "timelines" of the sequels (i.e., 3 doesn't count, 4-6 follow on from 2, but H20 follows 2 and ignores 4-6, while the new ones ignore 1 and follow 2...I think I got that right!).

I hadn't seen this one in a long time, and while there are worthwhile elements - I like that it manages to pick up exactly where the first film ended is great (though I would argue it kind of downplays the ending of the last film a little - I always took Myers' body vanishing at the end of the first movie to be a way to make the audience leave feeling unsettled and uncomfortable, rather than fishing for a sequel, which I don't think was the intention, or really the norm in Hollywood at the time. Donald Pleasance's performance is great, and I'm a fan of Sam Loomis as a character in general, even if he is often just a vehicle for exposition. Introducing "Samhain" as a significant element kind of prefigures what comes next in the series, and gives the suggestion of there being a more supernatural side to Myers, and why he's seemingly indestructible, and obviously there's the revelation of who Laurie is, which is surprisingly downplayed, considering that it forms the bulk of the plot of the sequels, and of Rob Zombie's awful remakes. 

Mostly, though, I thought it was pretty dire - I know the series gets worse in this regard, but it really takes the focus away from tension and atmosphere and towards gore, excess, and gimmicky kills. The first film has a surprisingly low body count, whereas this one fits slasher movie tropes wherein if a new character is introduced, it's pretty much a countdown until when they're killed in some elaborate way. In the first movie, Michael only really murders people by stabbing or strangling them, he's a very visceral and immediate killer, there's nothing really goofy or gimmicky about it. In this one, he does all sorts, including at one point draining someone of their blood with an IV. But in this film we also learn that he's motivated to kill the surviving member of his own family - if his motivation is that single-minded, why is he going out of his way to kill other people in increasingly daft and unlikely ways? It's far less scary.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Most Haunted are doing a live stream on youtube currently, and they're doing an angle where Karl Beattie claps out like Christen Eriksen. I'm all for trying to remain current, but fucking hell lads?

I've just watched a bit of that. Yvettes had a great character arc. She used to be petrified of ghosts but now shes cutting full-on shoot promos on them. "Come out you coward!" 

She's just started singing Ring a Ring o' Roses aprosos of absolutely nothing.

Edited by Lorne Malvo