All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'm making my way through a bunch of edgelord East Asian horror/thriller movies this month, capturing that old feeling of getting whatever film I could from Blockbusters world cinema section.

There’s a lad on YouTube called SpookyRice who does pretty good breakdowns of these types of films in a “I watch them so you don’t have to” kind of way if your need any inspiration for what to watch next. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Second came Freezer AKA Freeze Me which is a weird little revenge flick, for something that's advertised as shocking and depraved it actually had quite a bit of levity to it. Especially the murder with the PS1 playing in the background. I'd have really liked this one back when I was like 19..

Yesterday was another Miike joint in Visitor Q where he's at his most shocking for sure, if there's a taboo then it's in here all as an exploration of the Japanese family unit.

I really liked Visitor Q but I generally have a mixed time with Miike. Completely forgot about Freezer, I wanted to really see that back when it got a Tartan Asia release.

36 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I really liked Visitor Q but I generally have a mixed time with Miike. Completely forgot about Freezer, I wanted to really see that back when it got a Tartan Asia release.

Yeah it was looking at old Tartan DVD's that inspired the selection for the month.

@wordsfromleeI'll check him out, I've got the Guinea Pig collection for if I need something stronger.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah it was looking at old Tartan DVD's that inspired the selection for the month.

Me and my ex collected loads of them back in the day. For a few years they toured some of their titles around cinemas in the UK as well. They were a great label.

• Paid Members

The Empty Man

Heard loads about this being an ignored modern horror masterpiece. It's not, but after that first half it could have been close. The second half's boring though until the end scene and it has this modern horror issue of having its best scene at the start. Good effort though.

Return of the Living Dead Part II

Love the first one and this one's a lot of fun as well. Runs out of steam (or gas) near the end but loads of great moments and gore before that.

Return of the Living Dead Part III

For some reason Brian Yuzna decided not to put any jokes in this one - and it somehow works. Or I might be biased because of BDSM zombie Melinda Clarke. The ending's nuts. Big fan of this series now.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Umma

More or less the disappointment everyone has said it is. Really lazy stuff, absolutely nothing you've never seen before, a total waste of Sandra Oh.

Mortuary (1983) (YouTube)

Young Bill Paxton plays a mortuary nerd, which is as entertaining as it sounds. Pretty good slasher, this, with a superb opening scene especially.

Night of the Demon (1980) (YouTube)

Bigfoot adventure horror thing - doesn't quite work out as I expected after the very funny first death and the final third is excellent. Very cheap and badly acted but better than I expected.

Society (Shudder)

An absolute classic. The effects still look incredible even by today's standards. I should make the effort to watch this every year.

• Paid Members

Strange Behaviour (Shudder - as Dead Kids)

Sci-fi horror about a college experiment turning teenagers into murderers. Thought this was excellent - there are not many murders but the story's really good and the ending, too.

Blood Vessel

The awesome title is the best thing about this, clearly, but the film itself was much better than I was expecting. Vampires on a Nazi ghost ship with half the cast of Neighbours and Home and Away.

Nightmare Beach (Prime)

Pretty good slasher with an excellent cast and Annie out of Sunset Beach. Some good murders, which is the least you want from this sort of thing.

The Invitation (2022)

Terrible film that takes an hour to get going and then makes no sense thereafter as it rushes to do something exciting. Nathalie Emmanuel makes the effort but just watch Ready or Not instead.

I watched X.

Not really my cup of tea, but Brittany Snow gets them out, Mia Goth gets them out, so it was 10 out of 10.

In all seriousness it was enjoyably gory, had a decent script and was suitably creepy (rural America always is). I understand there is a prequel, which I'll probably watch, so that shows I did enjoy it. Interested to see what all the actual horror fans made of it.

Might watch all the Final Destinations next.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I watched X.

Not really my cup of tea, but Brittany Snow gets them out, Mia Goth gets them out, so it was 10 out of 10.

In all seriousness it was enjoyably gory, had a decent script and was suitably creepy (rural America always is). I understand there is a prequel, which I'll probably watch, so that shows I did enjoy it. Interested to see what all the actual horror fans made of it.

Thought it was an ok slasher but the standard is so low these days that everyone went mad over it. Mia Goth's excellent though and I'm intrigued by the sequel / prequel.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Might watch all the Final Destinations next.

Oh god don't. I watched them all in one day a couple of years ago and they're all pretty much the same. Just watch the Mary Elizabeth Winstead one as that's the best one because she's in it.