All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

Hellraiser
Maybe it was going into it with low expectations, but I really liked it. I wanted a competently made Hellraiser film, with some thought and effort put into it and that's what it delivered. The visuals are good, the story is perfectly fine and the Cenobites look great. This might be faint praise, but it's probably the best since the original. 
Is it perfect? No. Is it a great film? Not really, but I didn't expect it to be. It's too long at nearly two hours, but I enjoyed it and I'd like to see the same people make a few sequels to it (hopefully it is successful enough to allow them to do so).

• Paid Members

I watched the two Ju-on: The Curse films and the first The Grudge film and gave up because I had no idea what was happening. Too many films use this non-linear device for no reason.

The Cellar (Shudder)

Awful Irish horror film that has a couple of neat ideas and scenes but the rest of it is the same old haunted house / cellar shit you've seen a thousand times before. At least Elisha Cuthbert's still around though, so there is that.

The Black Cat (1989) (YouTube)

Typically mental Italian horror film. Provisionally titled Demons 6 (it's got nothing to do with the Demons films, although they're great), it's an unsanctioned sequel to Suspiria and Inferno, even namechecks Dario Argento and has a film being made in it which is a sequel to these films. Absolutely next level stuff. It's actually great as well, although I've no idea how.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The film wasn't half as horny as I was led to believe, but Jamie in general is gorgeous. She made the awful Sense8 kind of worth watching.

She was also really good in Designated Survivor.

The original made for TV Ju-on and The Curse 2 theatrical movie are the only ones I enjoyed. 

The made for TV sequel is hilariously shit. From memory it is literally the second half of the previous movie with what I'm assuming was a previously cut final act tacked onto it.

I like the idea much more than the execution. 

• Paid Members

I've been planning this for ages, but finally got my Shining-themed tattoo this weekend. A little colour still to be added (as it goes to the centre, it'll fade into the orange and red), but I'm really pleased with it.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Hagazussa (Prime)

Extremely depressing but brilliant German / Austrian folk horror film. Most folk horror has been awful since The Witch but this is almost as good. Don't watch it in a good mood though!

Sissy (Shudder)

A real rarity - a Shudder original that's quite good! One of the few millennial horror films that isn't patronising or try-hard, even if it does become predictable by the end. Some great violence though.

Antiviral (Shudder)

Really disappointing considering how good I thought Brandon Cronenberg's Possessor was. Lots of ideas but does nothing of interest with them. Sarah Gadon tho.

On 10/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Black Cat (1989) (YouTube)

Typically mental Italian horror film. Provisionally titled Demons 6 (it's got nothing to do with the Demons films, although they're great), it's an unsanctioned sequel to Suspiria and Inferno, even namechecks Dario Argento and has a film being made in it which is a sequel to these films. Absolutely next level stuff. It's actually great as well, although I've no idea how.

I wrote my MRes on Italian horror films between the 1960s and 90s and never got around to actually seeing all of The Black Cat, though I wanted to. I think it was a fairly troubled production - aren't they all? - where the producers ran into money issues. 

It was directed by Luigi Cozzi, a student/friend of Argento's who made some really, really bad films. He also managed (maybe still does?) the Profondo Rosso horror memorabilia store and museum in Rome. I actually delivered a conference paper in front of him where I was (lightly) critical of some of his work, but he was a really generous guy and spoke to me at length about the Italian horror film industry, which was nice of him. 

Edited by SaitoRyo

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

I wrote my MRes on Italian horror films between the 1960s and 90s and never got around to actually seeing all of The Black Cat, though I wanted to.

I'd obviously recommend it, I do think it's actually rather good on top of being really entertaining and mad. 

• Paid Members

My Best Friend's Exorcism (Prime)

Should have been a fun high school comedy horror but turns into something weirdly serious and unpleasant after about half an hour. No idea what Elsie Fisher's doing with career after Eighth Grade, but she deserves better than this shite.

You Are Not My Mother (Netflix)

Expected nothing from this but it was actually rather good. The bullying stuff is the usual shit but there's some great scenes in this and the performances are excellent.

Strange Invaders (ok.ru)

Enjoyable 1950s sci-fi homage from the same guy who made Strange Behaviour, which is even better. Cracking cast for a daft bit of sci-fi as well, it's worth tracking down.