All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members

Disappointed with the new Chain Saw. My expectations weren't necessarily high, but that was just weird. The ghost town was a weird addition that felt like it was two entirely different scripts just mashed together. It also took itself oddly seriously - one of the best things about the original is that it's trying to be funny in places, but misses the mark and tips over into nightmarish delirium (if you watch the second and see what Tobe Hooper was aiming for in humour, it's right there in the first one too).

It feels like it was just wearing the iconography of the original like a skin (which is kind of appropriate). There was potentially a good film in there, but it wasn't a Texas Chain Saw massacre film.

• 3 months later...

All Of Us Are Dead (Netflix)Ā 

South Korean Zombie outbreak series that ticks pretty much every box if that's your kind of thing.

Starts slow but once the shit hits the fan it's the most I've enjoyed something Zombie related in lord knows how long.

Really strong cast of characters, I'm absolute dog shit at remembering Korean names but almost everyone still stood out enough to be memorable.Ā 

Also wears it's influences on it's sleeve with High School of The Dead being the most obvious one.Ā 

Bring on S2.Ā 

Edit.Ā 

Want to add that one consistent complaint I've see about the show is that it's too long and could have been cut to 10 or even 8 episodes.Ā 

Fuck that.Ā 

Sure it dragged a little here and there but the longer run time meant more time building up the characters and their relationships, struggles, etc.Ā 

And that is what kept me hooked. The characters.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Rewatched the first twoĀ [REC]Ā films last weekend. I like the second one a bit less every time I see it but like the original a bit more. Best found footage film ever made until The Medium came out last year.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KJHenley said:

Ah! Thanks for reminding me of the originals existence. Loved that film so much when it came out. Time for a re-watch!

First one's on Prime and the second one is on Shudder at the moment.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, chokeout said:

It will always be this frame.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

41B40C72-3FBE-40BC-A369-B7E877CC4CA4.jpeg

It's a really good film overall as well. Just takes the bits of The Exorcist it wants and does its own thing. There's a brilliant tribute to this scene in a shitty (but fun) horror film from a couple of years ago called The Drone.

• Paid Members

I watched Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time when I was about 10 and that scene with Freddys arms stretched out stuck with me forever. So fucking creepy. I wasn't arsed about the blood pouring out of the bed but long arms? Fuck that.

That along with the Evil Dead basement jump-scare lead to a lot of young Lorne bed-wetting nights.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's a really good film overall as well. Just takes the bits of The Exorcist it wants and does its own thing. There's a brilliant tribute to this scene in a shitty (but fun) horror film from a couple of years ago called The Drone.

If there had been no shitty Exorcist 2 then I 100% believe that it would be spoken about in a similar way to Alien / Aliens in the great sequels that mixed things up.Ā 

The original ANOES is still one of the few things that makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable when I watch it. The music and the visuals come together to make something really chilling.

I still really rate the original Texas Chain Saw film too. They nailed the vibe on that one. It's not explicitly violent like many others that completely miss the point. Leatherface with the sliding door always sticks with me.

The first scene in a horror film that absolutely terrified me was probably the scene in the shining when the elevator opened with all the blood coming out of it for some reason it really got me.

I watched that on my own in the living area at the nursing home my mum was managing at the time, I had too sleep there that night because the babysitter let my mum down and it was dark as fuck and it really got meĀ 

• Paid Members

Going to provide you all with updates ofmy daily horror binge because I'm very single and work from home, but not necessarily in that order.

The Man Who Changed His MindĀ (YouTube)

Creaky old British sci-fi horror with Boris Karloff discovering how to swap people's minds. Not as mad as it should have been but the ending was excellent.

Mother Joan of the AngelsĀ (Mubi)

Polish film that's quite similar in theme to The Devils except, well, not as insane. Still really atmospheric and enjoyable though - there's one mass possession scene set in a chapel that has to be seen to be believed.

SeanceĀ (2001) (YouTube)

Kiyoshi Kurosawa is becoming my favourite director, I think. A loose adaptation of Seance on a Wet Afternoon, it's much different from the 1964 film (which is awesome btw) but mashes crime and horror together as Kurosawa has done well so many times.

Ā