All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Just finished watching it on Peacock.  Very silly, but a fun hour and 45 minutes.  Plenty of gore, just don’t expect a classic horror and you won’t be dissapointed.

Spoiler

I can't help but think that the film was sponsored by a stair manufacturer. 90% of the film is people running up and down stars. 

Just finished watching Halloween Kills.

The middle film in a trilogy is always hard to pull off, and there was very little in terms of stakes in this. Not as good as the last one, but it’s still infinitely better than either of the Rob Zombie efforts and a couple of the other sequels.

One thing that does stand out though, as it did with the last one when I watched it a couple of days ago is John Carpenter’s score, it’s fucking amazing. I could could quite easily just listen to those on their own

• Paid Members

I don’t get the hate on Halloween Kills. Yes, as the middle of a trilogy it’s hard to make it work sometimes but loved 

Spoiler

The Dr Loomis bits. And the whole flashback stuff, thought that was great

I however wish

Spoiler

Judy Greer made it to the 3rd. I kind of wish it ended with Michael “dead”. The 3rd instalment could of kicked off with that. 

But overall I got what I went in expecting, albeit with much more gore then the last.

• Paid Members

I had a few issues with Halloween Kills.

Spoiler

1 - It's doing this weird thing of using some of the benefits of the long-running series without any reality behind it. It doesn't make sense that this one night, decades ago, is enough to have the town on the edge of chaos 40 years later. It made sense if Myers was the Myers of the previous franchise, because of the repetition. In the first film, Laurie was the outlier - the one person believing he'd come back. And that made sense. But the same night, the entire town is running around like 'Evil dies tonight!'? Everyone just accepted it too much. 

2 - 'Evil dies tonight!' isn't a thing. Don't try and make it a thing. There was plenty of dialogue that was just too on-the-nose to be real. "He's turned us into the monsters" was another bone-headed example.

3 - The whole scene with the other escapee had absolutely no drama, because it was immediately obvious what was going to happen. If it had been built up as a revelation, it might have worked better - with some element of confusion for the audience as well, where they're suggesting he's heading to the hospital, while it turns out he's actually heading home... I could see that working. Not great, but at least being something, in a kind of that scene from Silence of the Lambs way. Instead, it just came across as thinking it was being profound.

4 - The fuck is Michael Myers fighting like Darth Maul for? I don't need to see ninja-reflex Michael. I want to see stalking, inevitable terror Michael. The one point where they hit that was when the woman woke up and he was calmly sticking knives in a body. Other than that, it seemed to think the scary thing about Myers is how quick he was. "Ooh, when he moved faster than the firefighter, he was like a wolf, Stew. He was so fast. Like Zephyrus, the wind, Stew." One surprising fast kill, would have been fine. But they were all fast. 

14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Watched all the Halloween films this weekend and the Halloween code is: FuckoffRobZombie

After watching the Friday the 13th's last year, I'm going to be doing the Halloweens this (it was either them or the Nightmare on Elm Street films). Probably going to start them next weekend, got the first eight and Halloween Kills already downloaded.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

After watching the Friday the 13th's last year, I'm going to be doing the Halloweens this (it was either them or the Nightmare on Elm Street films). Probably going to start them next weekend, got the first eight and Halloween Kills already downloaded.

Oh boy, best of luck. I think overall the Friday the 13th films are far more fun.