All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

After watching the Friday the 13th's last year, I'm going to be doing the Halloweens this (it was either them or the Nightmare on Elm Street films). Probably going to start them next weekend, got the first eight and Halloween Kills already downloaded.

I've been to marathons of the Friday 13th (first five) and Elm Street films (first seven) at the Prince Charles. They're both enormously fun, but I was completely surprised just how much I enjoyed each of the Elm Street films individually - even The Final Nightmare, which I had no good memories of. The genuine nastiness of it, which was moving away a little from the 'Bitch!' stuff, was interesting in places. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I enjoyed each of the Elm Street films individually - even The Final Nightmare,

You're easily pleased.  Final Nightmare was just boring as fuck.  A bit like Jaws 3, their focus was on the 3D effects rather than the plot.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Perry said:

You're easily pleased.  Final Nightmare was just boring as fuck.  A bit like Jaws 3, their focus was on the 3D effects rather than the plot.

To be fair, it was 5am by that point. But I'd totally forgotten about the 'origin' story in there, and while it was unpleasant and nasty, it wasn't bad compared to the previous couple. Also, the whole circle and time thing with Elm Street being fully controlled by Freddy was more nicely done than I remembered.

• Paid Members

Can confirm Halloween Kills is absolutely miserable. Like, it's not even just a case of a sequel not being good, it's just actively terrible. How can this have been made by the same people? Nobody's innocent either.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can confirm Halloween Kills is absolutely miserable. Like, it's not even just a case of a sequel not being good, it's just actively terrible. How can this have been made by the same people? Nobody's innocent either.

Yep completely right. I actually thought it had potential and I didn't mind the idea of two more sequels but fucking hell. They've taken me from vaguely positive about it to absolutely dreading another one.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It really is stunning how wrong they got it.

5r4lz0.jpg

Went to see Halloween Kills, and enjoyed it. Fuck the haters. Plenty of good kills, and a few nice nods to the original movies (liked the Silver Shamrock masks in the playpark scene).

It's a horror movie, if you go looking for plot holes you'll find them easily enough. I want a passable story and some eye-watering violence, such as the doctor guy being stabbed up through his eye. My sinuses tingled just watching that.

If I want amazing acting, beautiful camera work and a top notch story I'll go see a Scorsese movie. Horror simply is what it is, we all know what we're getting. Enjoy it or don't.

1 minute ago, David said:

If I want amazing acting, beautiful camera work and a top notch story I'll go see a Scorsese movie. Horror simply is what it is, we all know what we're getting. Enjoy it or don't.

Don’t let the Elevated Horror people hear you say that!

54 minutes ago, David said:

I mean that's absolute bollocks really isn't it? "Enjoy it or don't." Can say that for anything ever.

For a start, I've enjoyed hundreds of horrors that I wouldn't consider include "amazing acting, beautiful camera work and a top notch story" so it doesn't really come down to that.

I'm more than happy to watch something daft as long as it's entertaining. It doesn't even need to make sense!

Halloween Kills was fucking stupid in the worst way though. I mean let's all be honest - no one's watching a long running franchise like this and expecting an Oscar worthy movie are they? My standards are fairly low for horror. But if I have to hear 'evil dies tonight!' one more time I'll go crazy. It's like they watched Scream, took all the typical horror tropes and then used them without any irony or whatever. And don't get me started on how Michael was portrayed in this one. It's just so inconsistent.

For me, what made the original Halloween so successful was its simplicity, subtlety and the fact that I actually wanted Laurie to survive. I couldn't give a flying fuck about 95% of the characters in Halloween Kills and Laurie was pretty damn irrelevant in this chapter of her own story. That was probably the most disappointing part to me - and sure, I bet she'll have her chance to shine in the next one but right now I couldn't care less about seeing the next one and that's a problem.

So yeah I guess if you're looking for "passable story and some eye-watering violence" then I can see why you enjoyed it, although "passable" is probably pushing it. But for me there's plenty of other options out there for that and this movie should've given us something a little better.

Well, I enjoyed it. And that's all that matters, really. 

EDIT: To me, obviously. If you didn't enjoy it but take some sort of solace in the fact that I did then that's great, of course. But yeah, I enjoyed it, and will likely enjoy the next one, which no doubt everyone who moaned about this one will still go see regardless.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I rather believe that horror can be, y'know, good. The last Halloween was gory in places, but had plenty of suspense, ratcheting it up into something a bit more interesting. This one had shockingly little suspense, and even the jump scares weren't even jump scares. The group sequences were all weirdly like a murky Darth Maul fight scene. If your approach to horror is 'well, it's all shit, innit, so might as well enjoy knives in faces, because there's no point in expecting better', then... good for you? 

I mean, yes, obviously, I'll watch the next one. I'm not saying I dislike bad horror films - they can be enormous fun, and there are some fantastically bad films that contain something interesting like a specific scene that really works. I just wish this one had something I could latch onto as enjoyable other than a decent Easter Egg. As it is, this film didn't even have the best death of the nurse from the original film - the opening scene of Halloween H20 does the same thing so much better, where a character does everything they're supposed to and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.