The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

While I'm happy to see Miro in a different setting (because he's amazing), if I have to see one more ex-WWE employee show up and do the whole "angry former employee" speech I'm giving up on AEW. It's just a really lazy, unnecessary trope now. I'm all for AEW picking up the guys who WWE wasted and letting them shine to their true potential, but no more of that nonsense please, it's tired. 

Outside of that, a really good show with some interesting hooks for next week. 

I think pairing Miro with Kip is a brilliant idea. Miro doesn't have to be shoehorned into the main event scene just for the sake of it and of course Kip gets a huge rub just by being on-screen mates with him. It's actually kind of hilarious what an upgrade Miro is over Kip's former best friend. Oh, and there's the obvious fact that Miro IS the 'best man' and I'm sure whatever he's booked to do he'll make the best of it and rise to the top of the card. He looked like he was having the time of his life in there and I'm so happy for him I almost shed a tear.

An interesting way to debut for sure and on Miro Day of all days!

I was pretty happy to see him debut in a different way than being a surprise top level title challenger or something similar. It helped that he was wearing that lovely pink top and had new hair. I was afraid if he did debut it would be something darker and more serious like so many others have tried over the years so to see him bound out into a more storyline driven angle in the midcard where they can work out where to go with him over time was wonderful to see.

As said the only thing that was wrong was to do the whole "brass ring, FU WWE" bit at the beginning which I never really think is classy thing to do and the coolness factor of it wore off by about 2005 in TNA.

• Paid Members

5315C773-B04C-4738-BE62-442BDE1F0CAD.gif.1de6e3ce4a9c9847a29fec3dd4332bf2.gif

It’s borderline genius they brought him in for a wedding angle. I can’t wait for skits involving him and Kip trying on suits, tasting cakes and going on the Stag Do. I thought I wanted him coming to the ring in a tank but this is a million times better.

Yeah, the bitter-ex-WWE-guy thing is massively played out, but I think he’s so fun, so lovable and so handsome that he won’t be able to stop himself from immediately moving on and carving a new niche for himself. Guys like Cardona, that’s all they’ve got. Once they’ve done the chip-on-my-shoulder thing there’s hardly anything else there, whereas I honestly think the sky’s the limit for Miro. Even his new music is great! I’m a happy man.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The, "shove your brass ring up your arse!" thing reeked of TNA, but whatever. Miro! I'm so happy. There's no more lovable oaf in the business. He'll rise to the top with ease.

It's the ECW debut. Got to show up and shoot on the cool brand. It's been ripped off ever since. It'll be redeemable the day someone like Randy Orton shows up, points out he doesn't give a fuck about the Elite and Tony Khan is a nerd but he cashes his cheques.

58 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Just makes you wonder why they wasted the Joker spot on Matt Sydal, knowing Miro was in town.

I'm not sure I'd have debuted Miro like they did but you don't waste surprises like that on PPV, IMO, unless you've made it a real big selling point of the show.

Thought aside from the obligitary "shoot", that was a great promo from Miro. He looks the business with bleached hair and a Mickey Mouse T-Shirt. He's just got it.

Tell you who hasn't - Luchasaurus. I liked him last summer. Being a big guy in a promotion of midgets, he stood out. But I was listening to a pod recently where they talked about how he's regressed and I'd thought it was just me. He's horribly clunky in everything and nowhere near good enough to pull off the things he's trying to do to be "lucha".

Don't need to get into the good show/bad show stuff. What I like about Dynamite is that it isn't trying to be a good show for one week. Even on the shows that don't have a killer angle or a great match, everything moves forward. It's not some brave new world. They're building a wedding angle. That FTR segment was right out of the WWE 101 playbook. They're teasing dissension all over the place. Stuff WWE would get battered for because it's not the stuff, it's the feel of death. AEW feels alive. Even if JR barely does.

There's a lot of people who are angry and bitter about their time in WWE if you listen to various interviews. It's the easy thing to to say on AEW shows that WWE sucks when a portion of your fan base are frustrated, disillusioned fans that thing WWE has gone to the dogs (and they would be right) 

Also, Miro comes across as a very angry man judging by his anti-Meltzer rant on Twitch which would have made even Bischoff go "easy there fella"

• Paid Members

I think the best part of the show for me was Alex Marvez' face while knocking on the Bucks' door, kept turning to the camera with a stupid puzzled look before knocking again, I was pissing myself. 

Along with Tony shuffling out of the ring when Kip kicked him out was brilliant also. 

The only part of the show I found weak, was the Rose / Conti match. Conti is green as grass as she hasn't had much experience at all, but she has a lot of upside. Vicky doing her 10 year old schtick can get to fuck though, Nyla doesn't need her and it's bringing her down if anything. Nyla should be the tippy top of the women's division taking on all comers. 

EDIT: I've said a few times in the past that I've tried to get into Dynamite and I've struggled as it doesn't seem to be for me, however I must say it really is growing on me, to the point I actually looked forward to Dynamite this week and haven't watched NXT at all.

Edited by Nick James

Another brilliant Dynamite, I enjoyed pretty much everything aside from Vickie Guerrero. 

Totally agree with @tiger_rick as far as Luchasaurus goes. He was perfectly fine in today's match, but his offence frequently looks messy and at times even unsafe. 

All the slips and trips recently do worry me a little bit, and leave me cringing every time they try a piledriver or something that could leave someone seriously injured. Excalibur (I think)  acknowledged how hot it was, and you can see sweat dripping from each wrestler from very early on in each match. I hope they drop some of the riskier offence until it cools down a little, if that even happens in Florida. I don't want to see someone get hurt. 

On a more positive note, I can't believe how great a signing Colt Cabana has ended up being for AEW. I'm far more excited about his eventual showdown with Brodie Lee than I am about a Brodie/Cody rematch, or almost any other match AEW can offer right now. They've handled this storyline perfectly. 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Just makes you wonder why they wasted the Joker spot on Matt Sydal, knowing Miro was in town.

I think if they debuted someone like that in the battle royal, he has to win doesn't he? Anything else feels like an anti climax.

I'm fine with the way they have done it, let him simmer for a bit beating nobodys, then an eventual clash with Brodie Lee could be fun over the TNT title.

• Paid Members

I love Luchasaurus, but he's not being booked well - he's a hot tag guy who comes in with a burst of energy for all his big moves, not someone who should be expected to carry a chunk of the match or work extended sequences. 

16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I love Luchasaurus, but he's not being booked well - he's a hot tag guy who comes in with a burst of energy for all his big moves, not someone who should be expected to carry a chunk of the match or work extended sequences. 

Someone also needs to tell him to stop bumping. I get that they're all mates and bumping has become synonymous with "making the other guy look good", but if there's one guy who shouldn't be leaving his feet to sell kicks from cruiserweights, it's the 6'6" human T Rex.

Didn't he have a big injury or something and he had to change his style? I remember someone on here saying a while ago how amazing he once was as this gigantic flippy lucha dinosaur and then he had to change how he worked.

I think he's trying to wrestle somewhere between how a big guy is seen as being supposed to wrestle and the flippy stuff. He does look clunky at times but I can't help but like him. I'd be happy with him being the hot tag guy, big boots and all that sort of stuff, maybe the odd dive or flip but let Jungle Boy do the majority of the work and let Marko get the shit kicked out of him and bump like a madman.

I am very happy to see Miro and what the future will hold for him in his new home in AEW. If you had told me that he would debut with blond hair wearing a $650 Gucci Disney shirt I would not have believed you. What I don't like is all the former WWE guys shitting on WWE when they leave just like last night. Things happen move on take the opportunity to prove people wrong. Don't shit on the company that gave you the opportunity and name value. I know they they may have legitimate reasons but it is just in poor taste. Look at Eddie Kingston have many times has that guy been knocked down can keeps coming, To quote him "Be a mark for $ signs and not the letters".          

• Paid Members

I mentioned a little while ago that I wasn't ruling out Matt Cardona showing something that he hadn't shown before. He absolutely hasn't. He's the blandest guy on the roster, and they've got Jack Swagger.

Delighted that Miro has turned up. And if anyone has earned the right to do a promo about being mistreated, the guy that was told 'the fans don't like you, they're teasing you', after being depushed for having a too-hot wife for his weirdo boss is the guy who can do it.

22 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Didn't he have a big injury or something and he had to change his style? I remember someone on here saying a while ago how amazing he once was as this gigantic flippy lucha dinosaur and then he had to change how he worked.

If he did he clearly hasnt changed his style as he's still bumping and doing flippy stuff.
'Just because you can doesn't mean you should' - what Scott Hall told Kevin Nash after he did a leapfrog in a match.