The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

14 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

'Just because you can doesn't mean you should' - what Scott Hall told Kevin Nash after he did a leapfrog in a match.

Big Sexy still busted one out vs Goldberg at Spring Stampede '99, workhorse that he was. The place exploded for it, as probably did his knee.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

If he did he clearly hasnt changed his style as he's still bumping and doing flippy stuff.
'Just because you can doesn't mean you should' - what Scott Hall told Kevin Nash after he did a leapfrog in a match.

but also, as Meltzer pointed out recently - Luchasaurus has been wrestling for 11 years, amounted to nothing in FCW/NXT and nothing on the indies before Lucha Underground, and for that entire time he was following the stock "wrestle like a big guy" advice. He only started making waves when he started wrestling the way he does. 

• Paid Members

Luchasaurus definitely seems to have lost some of his speed and fire since returning from injury. I still love him though, because he's a ninja dinosaur and that's cool as hell. If he wrestled like a traditional big man he'd be boring as fuck. More ninja kicks, chokeslams and flips please. 

Really good show. Glad they focused so heavily on promos, angles and stories over wrestling this week. Pretty much everything worked this week and everyone's characters are just really popping off the screen. There's a lot going on and I'm really excited by everything.

Edited by LaGoosh

Been watching Dynamite since the debut episode as it was nice to have something a bit new to watch. Generally they've got a hell of a lot more consistent on TV recently and week to week it's a pretty enjoyable show with lots of stuff happening but not in a mad Russo/ADHD way. Anyway this week.

*Jericho and MJF are both brilliant heels. I love the little interactions they occasionally have, like two high school bullies who guard their patch and act a bit pally, but slag each other off on the sly. I think it is too soon to have Wardlow do a hulk smash version of the Virgil turn on MJF but hey-ho they look like their going ahead with it. Good segment. Jericho going off to do tags is a good move for a bit and it keeps Hagar in tag matches. Sammy probably going solo, though it feels a bit like the Inner Circle is having one of them break-ups that's not a proper big angle break-up, which would be a shame. 

*Given that the spark for the tag feud was smashing up a moms minivan, I really love the PNP/Best Friends stuff. Just a nice mid card tag feud. Parking Lot fight next week should fun, also good call on having Orange Cassidy get a showcase match but keeping him as the background this week. Interesting to see what they do with him going forward.

*Not really into the Kingston gang of lads as a group. It's probably going somewhere but they look a right misfit bunch. Might be because it's two tag teams and I just find it aesthetically jarring. They're positioning Kingston to be a somebody which is good, never seen much of him but he feels real. Happy to see the Lucha Brothers split if I'm honest, they can do something with both of them on face/heel side. The Butcher still looks brilliant.

*Bloody love me a bit of MIRO. Delighted to see the handsome lug turn up. Him slagging WWE there was fine by me. He was being gaslighted by his boss, the fucking weirdo.

*Lots of other good stuff on the show, Brodie/Dustin was a beauty, god Dustin is something isn't he. But I really liked the new avenues taken for the Bucks/Page/Kenny stuff. Blinding work from all three here, Bucks doing a dead simple little segment sparking out that interviewer, nice. Kenny sounded actually quite natural in his promo and it had a great end bit saying Hangman should probably consider some other options and Kenny just admitting teaming with Hangman made him look at him differently, nice that he kinda said that he liked the team but it was just a thing, in contrast to Adam Page.

*Adam Page, what a wonderful character he is to follow. The sit down with Big Tone felt nice and real and Hangman just giving out about being a fucking idiot was great character. Especially his 'I just feel full of poison'. He breaks my heart the handsome bastard, an incredibly relatable character. Can't wait for him to find his groove and start buckshotting fools. He's their Sting, and he's ace at it.

Edited by Chili
spelling

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Luchasaurus definitely seems to have lost some of his speed and fire since returning from injury. I still love him though, because he's a ninja dinosaur and that's cool as hell. If he wrestled like a traditional big man he'd be boring as fuck. More ninja kicks, chokeslams and flips please.

I'm not questioning what he's doing, I just don't think he's very good. @BomberPat suggestion that he should just be there for the hot tag is fine but that limits him massively. That he's been going 11 years and is this clumsy is insane. Hopefully it's just recovering from his injury but I'm not convinced.

Luchasaurus shouldn't be wrestling the standard big man style and ditching the kicks and flips, but at the same time, no one should be getting heat on him. He's designed for the opposing team to absolutely want to keep him out of the ring, because once he gets the tag, he's unstoppable. Fewer kick combos, more big fuck-off spin kicks that take guys down in one shot. No doubling-over on gut kicks because that's a cue for one of the opponent's signature combos which he can THEN counter; just no-sell the fucking thing and spin kick 'em. As soon as his back hits the mat, his aura's gone.

-Dustin Rhodes is a fucking boss, we all knew that, if he's still going in a few months, him with the tnt belt teaching lads how to work an 8 minute TV match would be fine by me. 

-It's amazing how a simple piledriver can still make me lose my shit, in a world of destroyers and poison ranas, it's still the most devastating looking move. 

-The Hardy thing was fine, him and Guevara need never cross paths again. 

-Hangman and Omega should only meet in the main event for the belt, not before, and hangman should win in 30 seconds. 

-Why didn't Chuck Taylor say shit? He had a live mic....... 

But most importantly....... 

EDDIE KINGSTON WAS NEVER ELIMINATED..... 

Never been a fan of Rusev/Miro but hope he does well, just no more bitter ex wwe stuff it's been done to death by everyone for over 20yrs.

Hope he adds new stuff to him gimmick rather than just rehashing "miro day" although I'm sure prowrestling tees have made it already, guys like Cardona and Spears have shown how not to do it.

Wish fans would stop with "ex-wwe/tna/aew castoffs" because guys moving from company to company keeps them relevant and all rosters fresh, 80s/90s guys never overstayed there welcome, hopefully in years to come when aew is proper established and not as new guys will be able to move about with the stigma of "ex" to them 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scouseman said:

I am very happy to see Miro and what the future will hold for him in his new home in AEW. If you had told me that he would debut with blond hair wearing a $650 Gucci Disney shirt I would not have believed you. What I don't like is all the former WWE guys shitting on WWE when they leave just like last night. Things happen move on take the opportunity to prove people wrong. Don't shit on the company that gave you the opportunity and name value. I know they they may have legitimate reasons but it is just in poor taste. Look at Eddie Kingston have many times has that guy been knocked down can keeps coming, To quote him "Be a mark for $ signs and not the letters".          

I get the logic, and I agree that it gets tiresome when every new signing comes out with that, but I can't say I agree with those particular points. He doesn't owe them any more than the performances he gave them for the money they paid him. And after a point, their employment was detrimental to his career, because they deliberately placed a glass ceiling over his head for frivolous, stupid reasons. 

Not quite analogous, but Robert Pattinson is well documented as hating having to do the Twilight series. Like any other actor, he recognises the necessity to his career of having to work on projects you hate in order to get ahead, but it's not in poor taste to shit on it if the quality was poor, or if you feel it affected the direction of your career. 

Yes, WWE gave Miro a break, but they also decided to play silly buggers with his career after he did everything that they tell their workers are the right things to do, i.e. getting over, selling tickets/PPV buys, generating views, moving merch. Worst fucking CPD programme ever.

I've seen comments about how smart and "meta" AEW are bringing him in doing a wedding angle it's "so tongue in cheek etc"!!

To me that's the goofy shit that "held him back" all these years from being a top guy or whatever he should be, he's a fun guy so not saying bring him in wearing black and serious but don't copy same shit that only got you so far.

Rusev day had its day but no sure what more he wanted from it.

6 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

I've seen comments about how smart and "meta" AEW are bringing him in doing a wedding angle it's "so tongue in cheek etc"!!

To me that's the goofy shit that "held him back" all these years from being a top guy or whatever he should be, he's a fun guy so not saying bring him in wearing black and serious but don't copy same shit that only got you so far.

The 'goofy shit' is arguably what got him over to the level where people actually gave a shit about him. And all things considered it sounds like Vince just never believed in him enough to really get behind him.

He's one guy that really does feel like he could've gone further than he did. Whether that's Vince's fault or not, only time will tell. But certainly guys like Pac thrive outside of the WWE environment and show that they can amount to something far more. It's not the case for everyone - Cardona obviously, and Spears to a point - but it'll be interesting to see how much Miro thrives in this environment going forward.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

From what I've read, one of his grievances with WWE was that he felt he could be like Kurt Angle: enough of a goof to do comedy, but convincing enough to be a threat all the way up to main-event level. I've seen only a bit of his work, but I'd concur with that assessment. Think that's consensus on here, too. Not to mention that, in sheer measurable, monetised terms, it would seem the crowd agree.

Yeah I saw his Kurt Angle idea and could see it working for him.

I had to problem with goofy stuff he did because he did it well, but it's more the "when the handcuffs are off I'll you" type stuff...then does the same thing that only got him so far, very early days for him and it's a foot in the door.

Morrison was a similar thing years ago, not being used properly, ideas ignored etc then goes to every company and looks and does same thing...and still does today 10yrs later