The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

That Hangman promo. Holy hell, that was good. Just utterly heartbreaking. "Inside, I'm made of blood and bone like everyone else, but I feel like from head to toe, I'm just full of poison." That was perfectly delivered too. And the way he convinced himself that it was just a glitch and that he and Kenny were still a 'we'. 

You just watched it, like 'oh, you poor sod'. And not in a bad way either. He's going to get his heart broken, hit rock bottom, and then build up to the main event again. I have no idea if they can pay this off well, but I'm so invested in the long-term story with him and Omega.

Edited by Chris B

Fair fucks to AEW, thats a decent number. I'm naively hoping they can continue to increase their numbers and force WWE (if they are capable anymore) to change things up a bit and produce compelling TV again.

I know WWE have turned Roman and FINALLY split Sasha and Bayley but I have lost all faith anything good long term will come from it. 

• Paid Members

To put it in comparison, Raw got a 1.7m rating this week to AEWs 1m but AEW scored higher with the key demos so you could argue it's getting better ratings than Raw at the moment. Absolutely crazy that both companies are in this position.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Chris B said:

That Hangman promo. Holy hell, that was good. Just utterly heartbreaking. "Inside, I'm made of blood and bone like everyone else, but I feel like from head to toe, I'm just full of poison." That was perfectly delivered too. And the way he convinced himself that it was just a glitch and that he and Kenny were still a 'we'. 

You just watched it, like 'oh, you poor sod'. And not in a bad way either. He's going to get his heart broken, hit rock bottom, and then build up to the main event again. I have no idea if they can pay this off well, but I'm so invested in the long-term story with him and Omega.

Absolutely! After the lacklustre Pay Per View I was completely over the teases and nuanced baby steps in this storyline, but this show pulled me back in. Both promos from Omega and Hangman were fantastic and I’m super interested to see what happens now.

Has anyone in pro-wrestling ever created a sympathetic character like Hangman before? A complete screw-up, full of flaws, yet you’re desperate to see him get it together and succeed? Fair fucks to them for even trying it, never mind succeeding. 99% of the time this would either result in a heel turn or him being positioned as a loser not worth caring about, whereas here I nearly cried when he mumbled that poison line. Genuinely poignant.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

One thing I forgot to mention about Dynamite, is do we now have to add Cash Wheeler to the list of wrestlers badly wearing suits? Harwood looked brilliant in his suit, but Wheeler looked a mess with his oversized trousers and no socks.

• Awards Moderator
On 9/10/2020 at 8:23 AM, FelatioLips said:

End to end in terms of pacing it was one of the best Dynamites they've done. Flew by with some good matches, some good storytelling and a nice little surprise like Miro thrown in. Probably could have been better ways to debut him but still. 
Dustin is fantastic and I was glad to see his match go long with Brodie rather than get flattened.

This is my feeling too. Great episode of television which I enjoyed from start to finish. Showcased plenty of people, progressed plenty of angles, I’m already looking forward to next week’s.

The Page and Omega interviews were definite highlights, but I’m also invested in Wardlow, Best Friends, Sonny Kiss, Ricky Starks, Shida, Conti, Cabana and Uno, Jungle Boy, and Miro. That’s a lot of people in one show - especially when for the last few years I could count the number of wrestlers on a show I cared about on one hand, It’s nearly a year in, but the work AEW have put in really feels like it’s paying off.

That main event was sublime. I loved it. Dustin Rhodes is incredible, and it was probably the best singles match Brodie Lee has ever had. Superb TV main event.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator