The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chris B said:

However this plays out, there's going to be a moment around two years from now where a heel group are dominating. And the Bucks will come out against them as faces, and bring out Cody. And then bring out Kenny. And then bring out Hangman. And the pop will just keep building.

I genuinely got goosebumps reading that. An then I got sad realising they'd likely play the horrendous BTE music over their reunion. Nothing makes The Elite feels less like stars than that cheap YouTube intro music. They need to bring Jim Johnston in to make his own rendition.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I genuinely got goosebumps reading that. An then I got sad realising they'd likely play the horrendous BTE music over their reunion. Nothing makes The Elite feels less like stars than that cheap YouTube intro music. They need to bring Jim Johnston in to make his own rendition.

While I agree about the music, that won't come until AFTER the big moment. Each individual entrance with music. The moment with all of them looking at each other, then standing together against their opponents. THEN the music hits. That's fine, especially with the crowd joining in.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Unless I missed something, I thought it was pretty clear the Bucks hated Hangman, and Kenny, up until recently, was torn. But FTR's meddling with Hangman has convinced Kenny he was holding the team together and didn't need Hangman, hence his blase attitude to the tag title loss and decision that the next step of his AEW career was singles competition. This is on top of him repeatedly stating that the Bucks were the best tag team in the world, while him and Hangman had the belts, so no doubt Kenny is happy for the Bucks to take the tags from Dax and Cash while he gets singles gold and the Elite are all belted up.

To be clear, all I'm saying is that I don't think it was FTR that convinced Hangman to cost the Bucks the title shot. It was Kenny.

Here's the interview segment with FTR and Page and Omega from before the PPV. Look at Omega's body language when Dax is demanding Hangman tell everybody who put him up to it? Look at his reaction to Dax saying "It wasn't us" and the look on his face when he says "It was you". He practically sighs in relief. I might well be overanalysing it, like, but Omega seems the type to do wee things like that for a reason.

I hope this is the direction they go in anyway. Hangman being manipulated by one his best friends and his tag team partner is a lot better than him being manipulated by a couple of guys who bought him some beer. It also makes Omega a far far more compelling heel and gives a really legitimate reason for the Bucks to hate both of them, whenever they decide to pull the trigger on it.

Bit of a weird one from me, but how do you guys see the drinking story line end?

It's been heavily implied that Hangman is going to come to terms with the fact he's drinking too much.

But the fans really love the hard drinking cowboy who knocks back a beer with them after the match.

I worry that Page coming off the booze may appear to be a little holier than thou if he knocks it on the head completely.

The other way out of it is having him do a Stone Cold and carry on knocking back beer after the match but no-longer be drunk in the backstage skits. Does that make light of real life alcoholism?

• Paid Members

I think if he goes the route of understanding that doing it before matches and backstage was having a detrimental effect on him being the best he can be but he's shown to wolf that he can do it in moderation its not making light of anything, more showing how far a person he's come. 

I don't think they're portraying him as an alcoholic, more that he's so emotionally beat up he's using it as a crutch, if he can work to make himself healthier it works. 

15 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I think if he goes the route of understanding that doing it before matches and backstage was having a detrimental effect on him being the best he can be but he's shown to wolf that he can do it in moderation its not making light of anything, more showing how far a person he's come. 

I don't think they're portraying him as an alcoholic, more that he's so emotionally beat up he's using it as a crutch, if he can work to make himself healthier it works. 

Tell me if I'm wrong for saying this but that seems like such a thin line there, I was saying back when his drinking was first portrayed as a potential problem that they're really walking down a dangerous road.

• Paid Members

It's an incredibly thin line you're right but it comes from a lot of experience, both myself and in family members. 

I've family members who are alcoholics and it's more that they can't go day to day without a drink, whereas I have friends (and my own struggles) where I've at times used alcohol to calm my brain, make me more confident and self assured but it's had a negative effect when I've pushed it too far. Knowing that I try to push myself back but at times it rears its head. It's not that I drink for drinks sake or can't stop, it's that my intentions around it can be askewed. 

I see a lot of myself in Page's story of feeling almost like he's in imposter syndrome and that he doesn't deserve the good he has. It's just that it's manifesting itself into a way he feels he's able to subside it. 

• Paid Members

I love when he turns up always carrying a glass of Jack Daniel's. Reminds me of Julian from Trailer Park Boys:

zfip2.jpg

I hope he keeps the booze aspect of his character but turns it into a positive because he loves having a drink rather than a crutch for his self doubt. That angle they did where he came out with a beer, placed it on the turn buckle, hit a big lariat, picked up his beer and immediately left was absolutely immense. 

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I hope he keeps the booze aspect of his character but turns it into a positive because he loves having a drink rather than a crutch for his self doubt. That angle they did where he came out with a beer, placed it on the turn buckle, hit a big lariat, picked up his beer and immediately left was absolutely immense. 

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with turning up to wrestle sober and ready to kick ass, then grabbing a victory brew after putting in the work.

22 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've said before that I'm pretty convinced that Omega assumed Ibushi would come with him to AEW, and that whatever they're doing with Omega and Page is them retrofitting a Golden Lovers story on to a new character. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kenny Omega almost immediately booked himself into an emotionally motivated tag team break-up story, he just changed things around to fit the change of cast.

I don't think you're wrong in that elements of this angle are something Kenny may have thought of doing with Ibushi...he didn't quite immediately book himself into this tag story in AEW though. Rather, his immediate booking gives me the impression the story of insecurity and self-doubt was actually originally intended more for his own arc. This exciting new company starting up, bringing the guy everyone's been talking about for the past several years and supposed best wrestler on the planet right at the centre of it. Coming in with all these big expectations, only to flounder and lose all his big matches. Particularly the bit that opened Dynamite following his match with Moxley, where he's told he's not cleared to compete, he asks about Mox and the Doc is like 'yeah, he's all good, cleared and wrestling tonight'. Omega seems utterly dejected hearing that and as though he's really doubting himself and the perception he'd come over with. Only for that to get seemingly abandoned shortly after and the angle retconned to fit Page instead and give Kenny a slightly different direction. 

5 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with turning up to wrestle sober

(1) Have I slipped into some parallel universe?

(2) Either I'm grossly underestimating the strength of these characters & their 'stories', or there's a lot of teenage-esque, fan-fiction & man-love being talked on here. Outside of this & similar Twitter bubbles, I don't see any of this stuff (Omega, Paige, Bucks) being even of remote interest to casual/occasional viewers, or people with little or no knowledge of Japanese wrestling and particularly BTE. I'm wilfully in the latter category. How does the Ibushi thing being mentioned link to anything, for the great majority who know nothing of him and little of Omega, or their history? There's a certain level of smarkiness involved. Seemingly, a proportion of you can't recognise the hammiest of piss-poor acting, even when it's manifestly right in front of you. The Paige stuff has been laboured and awful, as have all the BTE angles. I had more belief in Papa Shango. At least he started and finished matches without having to neck a drink, go for a little cry, or worry about what his 'friends' were thinking. With a touch of luck, it'll be blown apart and largely forgotten about. We'll then see what they really have to offer; good, bad or indifferent.