The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Genuinely didn't think much of the KO promo. Lots of people losing their bollocks over it on t'interweb and social media, so I got a bit giddy and excited that maybe we had another one of "those" moments, but it was just Owens flapping and shouting and tying himself in knots.

Reminded me of this:

• Paid Members

Yeah, I saw a load of people raving about it on Twitter earlier so checked it out. I do like Owens as a promo guy usually but this just came across as a really shit attempt to recreate the Pipebomb moment.

How long are they going to rely on this 'have faces moan about WWE management to get over' shit? It seems since it worked for Punk it's the only idea they've got.

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Genuinely didn't think much of the KO promo. Lots of people losing their bollocks over it on t'interweb and social media, so I got a bit giddy and excited that maybe we had another one of "those" moments, but it was just Owens flapping and shouting and tying himself in knots.

Reminded me of this:

Scott...thank you for bringing that in to my life.

”I’ll do fuck all cucumber” has floored me.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Owens is one of the few I like in WWE at the moment but he's done better promos than that when he's not been trying nearly as hard. It sounded to me like he was ad-libbing a fair bit waiting to have his mic turned off, which probably didn't help him. Still, at least they might do something interesting with him for 3 weeks like they did with his mate.

That was a fun way to start the show at least!  Someone was saying they'd not seen a backstage street clothes brawl, well there you are.

Has someone had a word with Nakamura?  That was the best showing from him I've seen since NXT.

• Paid Members

Far superior to Raw for at least having normal matches that weren't filled with mad stipulations and mid-match restarts to get around the advert breaks. For whatever reason, the USA Network feed I caught simply allowed the longer matches to take place picture-in-picture as the advert breaks occurred. Reading online, this is something they've been doing for a while. I've no idea why they can't just do this every week for both Raw and Smackdown. It's infinitely easier to watch than the ridiculous shit they've been doing recently. You genuinely can't relax, waiting for them to do some convoluted shit in time for the next ad break.

I liked the opening. Felt fresh, chaotic and exciting, even if it ultimately came across as a bit of a CM Punk Pipebomb knock-off. Glad to see Kevin Owens back as a babyface, too. It felt like they definitely left money on the table ending that New Day run so quickly. He was great fun in that. Interesting that they've made Shane shitting up all the shows part of the storyline though. That means they're at least aware of it. I have no faith whatsoever that this will result in Shane getting fucked off though, He'll probably beat Kevin clean at Summerslam.

However, credit where it's due to Shane. No matter how much he's made the shows completely unwatchable recently, the deadpan backstage segment with him, Drew and Elias on this show was really funny. Completely unlike anything they normally write, it genuinely made me laugh. Shane and Drew talking about how they're going to beat up The Undertaker on Sunday, Elias suddenly pipes up that he's come up with the perfect funeral song for him.

Shane: "Is it spooky?"

Drew: "It better be spooky!"

Elias, looking close to laughing: "It's spooky."

It probably isn't funny at all written down but I loved it. More of that please!

The Owens segment was fantastic. A fresh, red hot start to the show and a proper palette cleanser after what was an alarmingly bad Raw. I would love to see KO spread his wings as a babyface and prosper in this role. He looks like the fans he's speaking on the behalf of, and unlike Punk, he's likeable and funny and easy to root for.

They've made it hard for me to get excited or have belief in these angles anymore though. They've developed a habit of addressing their flaws on TV and proceeding to do fuck all about it. Poor Baron Corbin was cancer a few months back, took the blame for their declining ratings and was stripped of his power. And here he is, still in his dinner jacket, in his third PPV main event in a row. And no more Shane? Shane Fucking McMahon. The guy who's feuding or aligned with, what, 75% of the roster at the moment? How did we get to this? Fuck off.

I can't help but think it's another desperate attempt to get buzz that has no real destination point. Still, Owens as a face is definitely a step in the right direction.

The Bliss/Cross thing was bubbling along nicely for a while but they've completely blown it. If they're not turning Bayley heel then they've killed her dead as a babyface. Again. What a dick. And Nikki Cross! The only likeable person in this feud, the one they were using to build sympathy for and they . . . turn her heel!? At least I think that's what they're getting at? Who knows anymore.

Nikki hasn't turned heel. Surely by default she's on the heel side by being against Bayley, but I've always assumed that the end game would be her or Alexa turning on the other. I don't know which way they'll play it. Maybe have Nikki nearly beat Alexa only for her to steal it away from her? Or will they go down the Nikki smartening up part like Batista/Evolution? I don't know. My problem, much like others that have mentioned it, is that this Bayley is quite unlikeable and that's not what she should be.