The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

45 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Assume everyone’s waiting for them to finish that stunner before commenting on the show.

I can’t believe how purposeless Smackdown feels right now. Up until the draft/wildcard rule it was a show I consistently enjoyed. In its current form it’s just...dull. 

I haven't watched a full episode of WWE TV since pre-Mania but just going off consensus and what I can imagine really annoying me if I was tuning in, surely the wildcard has to go down as one of their all-time worst ideas? Not seen any argument in favour of it. And I suspect most of the other contenders for that title would have been ditched fairly quickly, rather than this that's just obliterated at least 6 months worth of TV. They've got to sort it out with a proper draft after Summerslam, but probably won't.

As an aside, I remember in 2016 people complaining about PPVs happening too often (because they were mandatory viewing, apparently), but I think the single-brand PPV model works way better than what they're doing at the moment. They have too many wrestlers to do it this way. Two 2.5 hour single brand shows per month > one 4 hour slog that will still have people going "where's [NXT call-up #339]?" despite them having already crammed 83 matches onto the card. 

Edited by sj5522

17 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Weirdest sign ever in the crowd at Smackdown.

"Here for Sexy Boy"

Who calls him Sexy Boy?   "here for HBK" or "here for Shawn" would be OK.

Here for Sexy Boy though, especially weird when the person holding up looked like a 6 year old child.

How do you know they were referring to HBK? More than likely Baron Corbin, he's the moist maker nowadays.

14 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Weirdest sign ever in the crowd at Smackdown.

"Here for Sexy Boy"

Who calls him Sexy Boy?   "here for HBK" or "here for Shawn" would be OK.

Here for Sexy Boy though, especially weird when the person holding up looked like a 6 year old child.

It might have been referring to the song.

• Paid Members

God, Randy Orton's good. Every time I forget he pulls out something like that promo on this show, which was fantastic and immediately made Kofi vs. Orton my most anticipated match at the PPV. Kofi having a brilliant match with AJ shortly afterwards only added to that. Hopefully they eventually have a PPV match between Styles and Kingston because they've got some great chemistry together.

Imagine if Orton ever went to AEW and played the heel to all these little pricks? It'd be the greatest thing in the history of the business. Seriously. Joey Janela vs. Randy Orton. Absolute dream match.

That fucking ending though. Proper WCW shit. Roman walks down a corridor, some stuff sort of falls on him, he gets up unhurt and walks away. And that's the cliffhanger. Amazing.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

That fucking ending though. Proper WCW shit. Roman walks down a corridor, some stuff sort of falls on him, he gets up unhurt and walks away. And that's the cliffhanger. Amazing.

Just watched this bit on YouTube. Not a bad idea, but cut to black immediately after the accident. This is obvious surely? Would also help not telegraph it if they didn't show Charly from 100m away introducing Roman as it's a camera angle they never use. I understand Vince rewrote it Tuesday morning as per so no wonder they didn't block the shots properly.

Laughably bad. 

• Paid Members

I’m all for a fun whodunnit storyline. One of the biggest things I think their shows lack is a reason to tune in next week. That wasn’t it though. This wasn’t a cliffhanger. The only question I was left with was, “how the fuck did that make it to air?!” The photo they released is hilarious, too. Less, “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” and more, “Who Slightly Annoyed Roman Momentarily?” 

468EF20B-42BE-46E2-B885-BF66DF35BE5D.thumb.jpeg.20af5e93f830942b204e8cb57a8124a6.jpeg

You have to wonder if Bischoff was involved because this was the first time where it really felt like different people writing the different shows, with completely different directions. Roman has a brilliant brawl with all his mates on Raw, it seems a certainty we’re getting a wild 8-Man Tag of some sort at Summerslam, and then the next night it’s like none of that even happened. Mad.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m all for a fun whodunnit storyline. One of the biggest things I think their shows lack is a reason to tune in next week. That wasn’t it though. This wasn’t a cliffhanger. The only question I was left with was, “how the fuck did that make it to air?!” The photo they released is hilarious, too. Less, “Who Shot Mr. Burns?” and more, “Who Slightly Annoyed Roman Momentarily?” 

468EF20B-42BE-46E2-B885-BF66DF35BE5D.thumb.jpeg.20af5e93f830942b204e8cb57a8124a6.jpeg

You have to wonder if Bischoff was involved because this was the first time where it really felt like different people writing the different shows, with completely different directions. Roman has a brilliant brawl with all his mates on Raw, it seems a certainty we’re getting a wild 8-Man Tag of some sort at Summerslam, and then the next night it’s like none of that even happened. Mad.

1449343593851.png

Clearly it’s Romans tribute to Drake. Or Vince just saw the Hotline Bling video for the first time

Edited by Hannibal Scorch