The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

I'm quick to moan when it's shit but I've been enjoying WWE lately.

The Kevin Owens resurgence, the Roman Reigns/Daniel Bryan storyline and the KOTR tournament giving so many potential stars a platform too.

More good than bad for me at the moment.

That was a very good show, nice amount of storylines and some great performances from Buddy & Reign,s plus Bryan is absolutely fantastic on the mic and in those segments. Liking the Orton/Kofi feud too, Orton looks motivated and in top quality condition at the moment.

Edited by DCW

• Paid Members

Considering how laughably shit the original angle was, this Roman/Bryan/Buddy Murphy thing has done a complete 180 and turned into a brilliant little storyline. Buddy vs. Roman was a cracking match and Daniel Bryan's performance on this show was nothing short of spectacular. What a horrible little shit. You'd never think this was the same guy who once had people crying with happiness when he announced his in-ring return. He's the best.

The inevitable Buddy Murphy vs. Daniel Bryan match is going to be fucking great!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

This is where WWE benefit from having an audience of weird sycophants who watch every week regardless. If it was a book or a film, you'd turn it off and burn it after the first chapter because it's fucking horrible. They do a decent job of recovering from stuff like this and hope you forget that this thing started with the worst backstage skit they've ever filmed and a release on their website that found the official reason was a forklift error.

Bryan is great in that backstage skit. That said, if I'm ever in danger of getting the shit kicked out of me, I hope they just chuck me at a pastic bin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The ending of last week’s show was something else. Just when this whodunnit storyline looked to have legs they did one of the weirdest, shittest things since...well, a few weeks ago when some stuff half fell on Roman and he walked away bemused.

Again, how the fuck did this make air?!

I can’t lie though. I could watch shit segments featuring Daniel Bryan trying not to laugh all day long. His face was hilarious!

Quality of that latest segment notwithstanding I’m liking this slower burn approach that’s being taken with this story, considering at one point it looked like it was going to be used to shoehorn Bryan/Reigns onto Summerslam. It’s allowed Murphy to have some good moments too since.

• Paid Members

Oh, absolutely. No matter how bad some of these Roman segments have been, having actual storylines that span numerous shows is still infinitely preferable to when they just had self-contained shows where wrestlers wrestled  some wrestling matches. For the longest time, the closest you had to a long-term storyline was just Stephanie making everyone else look like a prick show after show after show. 

Really liking the Roman whodunnit and how they’ve kept it going for a while. It’s elevated Murphy & Rowan and allowed Bryan’s more heelish character to flourish. Looking forward to the pay off.

Also the KOTR tournaments been great for the likes of Ali, Alexander & Andrade.

Could we finally be on the verge of them making new stars?

• Paid Members

The best thing about the massive pile of shite they think is a "Whodunnit" was the Buddy Murphy involvement and that potentially superstar making match with Roman.

So, of course, he then gets thrown around into plastic bins like a jobber and this week he's losing to Ali and taking it like a happy go lucky loser.

KOTR has made for good TV matches and might make someone but almost every single promo for it has come straight out of 1995. Just because the concept is thirty years old doesn't mean the execution and outcome MUST be.

Making stars? Not a fucking chance.

Yeah, as much as I'm enjoying some of the matches, it's very unlikely that anyone will be coming out of this as a star. I'd say it was possible if they had it as a one-nighter, but I'm not a fan of dragging it out over weeks.

It's a shame as some of the guys could really benefit from it, but they're falling into the same trap of having great matches but not really any reason for us to care about the wrestlers per se. Ali and Murphy are basically doing the same stuff from 205 Live to the same minimal reaction because there's not been any consistency with either 'character'. Same with a guy like Andrade who often has the best match on the show but in terms of real killer character moments... nothing.