The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

7 hours ago, Perry said:

So we'll just have to take your word for that

You don't have to believe anything, my friend, just telling you what I know - I saw the text message chain where the writer explained what happened. Feel free to think I'm lying if you wish, I have nothing to gain by doing so. 

• Paid Members

Worth checking out the first 15 mins just for that pop for Edge. A proper moment.

Of course, the first person they sent out in front of the crowd was .... Vince McMahon. These fuckers cannot help themselves. But in fairness, it didn't hurt the great reactions for the six man.

Rest of the show had all their usual flaws. I don't know when I last watched a Smackdown but it felt like the same show. It's like a time warp. No one feels like a hot new act on the way up. 

That they thought what this show needed was a bigger telly says everything about them.

Credit to the 4 lads killing themselves in the main event. Of course they spotlighted the fella who'd mentioned his spat with Edge 7 years ago and they showed him cashing in MITB 6 years ago. Time warp.

Those pops though, great stuff.

Finn coming out to interrupt Sami but still doing his perfectly choreographed entrance looked a bit ridiculous. Why wouldn't Sami (who was losing his rag with the crowd before the interruption) just cut him off? 

I dunno, was good seeing fans back but the whole show seems so sterile and played out. I'll stick to dipping in & out of AEW I think.

I really wanted to like this, and while it wasn’t bad, it just didn’t feel special in the way that I’d hoped. I think I’d have really enjoyed this if Dynamite didn’t exist. Heck, earlier this year I was really liking Smackdown. It just feels very repetitious. I hope they break out of that pattern now that crowds are back, there are still a lot of WWE performers that I enjoy watching. 

The first 30-40 minutes was ace. Felt like a PPV with the monster reactions to Vince and everyone in the six man, plus the match was really fun and the crowd were into it. Then Sami and the return of Finn Balor, who at least appears to be keeping some of his Prince presentation for now- was big time.

After that seemed to settle into business as usual for a regular Smackdown. Couple of big spots in the Fatal 4 Way but the match overall was standard fare until Owens' madness.

• Paid Members

I managed about an hour before getting bored and switching it off. At first, the return of the fans was absolutely magical, especially watching Roman glare and jaw jack with them. It'll always be incredible that the one man they refused to turn heel for all those years had this act in him. He's one of the best heels I've ever seen. Just a horrible bastard.

But yeah, it quickly became just another WWE show and the novelty of the fans being there wore off super quick. Overproduced, micro-managed, badly-written, everyone doing the same thing they've done then, now and forever. Finn Balor's big return being him doing the choreographed entrance he  practiced with Prince Albert a thousand times. Seth Rollins still doing his awful, tired act. Shotzi and Knox having a rematch of a match from last week to set up a rematch of the same match next week. Liv Morgan and Zelina Vega bitching and bickering in that awful, grating way WWE script their women, where you genuinely can't figure out who the babyface is. And yeah. Fucking piped in crowd noises. What is the  point of fourteen thousand people even being there if you're just going to press the button for the same cheer and boo sound effect we've heard for the past year?

Still, always fun to get another, “what is wrong with him?!” moment from Vince. Such a weirdo.

Edited by Supremo

I think Dynamite has completely ruined it for me. Just two completely different worlds. WWE just continue moving further and further away from that vibrant outlaw energy that makes pro wrestling. After 30 minutes the novelty had already worn off and it was back to that uncanny, soulless and manufactured WWE world. Everyone still inside their little bubble hitting the same entrance poses and promo cadence. The crowds might as well not even be there.

Then I heard the piped in boos and EST chants. Fuck all the way off.