The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

So seemingly the only reason they moved the Roman match to Smackdown was because someone decided at the last minute to make Bianca vs. Bayley a Hell in a Cell match and I guess three Cell matches was one too many for one show.

I’m not complaining. Anything that tightens up the Pay Per Views is a plus. It’s nice that they’re finally showing some restraint in that sense. I’m just not sure if doing a mostly dull Hell in a Cell match on Friday, filled with the same boring weapon spots, is the sell job they think it is for Sunday. For as good a job as they did hyping it up as the first Cell match on free TV in forever, it wasn’t much of a match, was it?

I have to give them credit though. They’re going all the way with Roman. All this chat onscreen about him being the best ever is really working and fills me with excitement for when Cena’s music hits in front of a live crowd.

Pat McAfee is ace at the desk, too. No real surprise given how great he was in NXT but his instincts and enthusiasm are brilliant. It’s going to be interesting to see if we can pinpoint exactly when he gives up and becomes just another lifeless WWE commentator.

Bianca and Bayley just doesn't interest me at the moment. Even less in the Cell. Doesn't feel like it's got that momentum but I guess quite a lot of Cell matches have been like that with it being a regular calendar event. I would've been happier with Owens/Zayn being in the Cell but I guess that's not one of their bigger feuds right now. Still, they would do a great job.

Roman and Rey was alright. Don't think they would've done much more on PPV. Good story told and Rey put up a decent fight all things considered. I like that Roman isn't invincible and there's just enough there to give hints of someone beating him eventually. The balance is just about right there at the moment.

Still scared by Otis' face.

• Paid Members

Watching the Highlights show on Paramount and they edited a portion of the Owens/Big E Vs Zayn/Apollo match so that Sami Zayn got tagged in, then they cut to Owens in the corner on the ground and then Zayn tagged out again. What's the point of a daytime repeat of a wrestling show if they edit the wrestling out? Between the edits and Kevin Dunn's camera cuts it's barely watchable. Feels more like a David Lynch movie than a wrestling show. 

• Paid Members

They managed to edit the Reigns/Mysterio Hell In A Cell down to 2 minutes during the highlights show on Paramount this week, 90 seconds of which was footage of the cell with pretty much nothing happening. The only offence we got was Rey's second splash and the kickout, the hurricanrana attempt that got reversed into what I presume was a powebomb into the side of the cell from the ring (which got cut), and Reigns grabbing Rey to apply the guillotine (which they also immediately cut straight to the bell ringing as Cole tells us that Reigns tapped out).

The Bianca Bel Air/Bayley segment got more time than the main event. 

They also for some reason edited Commander Aziz giving Kevin Owens a big boot, but left in Bayley hitting Bel Air with a running knee to the head. It's. Borderline unwatchable at times. I really don't see the point of it. I'd rather have Scott Stanford or Wilson Philips in a studio shilling the WWE network for an hour. 

• Paid Members

They’re really going to do Seth vs. Edge as a dream match, aren’t they? Amazing. In the summer of 2021, I genuinely don’t think there’s a less appealing match you could come up with. Are they hoping if you put two of the most boring men together it might go all the way around and somehow become exciting?

Seth is so so fucking awful it beggars belief. I'll never get their obsession with him. I mean, even with Baron Corbin, they've found a role for him. He's a perfectly solid, effective midcard heel. Seth's is just utterly toxic. Draining the life out of absolutely everything he's involved with, with his whiney, phoney, clueless dork energy. Every time he's pushed beyond a midcard/tag team and has to start cutting promos, he bombs. His matches devoid of any heat or emotion. 

They're slinging shit at the wall and nothing sticks. Cesaro, Edge, Roman, Bayley. You can't link him to anyone and make him interesting. If/When Becky Lynch returns, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just bypass their waste of a women's division, and stick her straight into some storyline with Seth. In their 4000th attempt to give him some character.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

They’re really going to do Seth vs. Edge as a dream match, aren’t they?

Presumably Edge did exactly what he did at the Royal Rumble and is just booking his own feuds because nobody else has the initiative (or, in this case, stupidity) to actually suggest something for themselves. Still, at least we'll get to see who has the least convincing angry beard gurn with wet hair in pro wrestling today.

1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Presumably Edge did exactly what he did at the Royal Rumble and is just booking his own feuds because nobody else has the initiative (or, in this case, stupidity) to actually suggest something for themselves. Still, at least we'll get to see who has the least convincing angry beard gurn with wet hair in pro wrestling today.

I’ll tell you now, it’s Seth. The only time he’s looked legit mad about anything was when he was getting his arse kicked on Madden during his recovery documentary 

• Paid Members

Can't think of a wrestler I've ever soured on as much as Seth Rollins. Had a brief resurgence in interest when he put his faction together with Murphy and them big lads but that lasted about a month. Honestly, there is nothing he could do now that I'd check out for free on Twitter or YouTube. If he turned up on Dynamite, I'd be devastated. He's atrocious. 

And bollocks to using Seth to even somewhat defend Baron Corbin. That fucker is on the level of IRS and Dino Bravo. Where's the remote?