The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I caught the second half of Smackdown tonight - my first time watching Raw or Smackdown since Wrestlemania. It was alright. Nowhere near worthy of the praise it sometimes gets on here but definitely a million times better than Raw.

Roman Reigns has still got it. New music! Finally! I can understand why people would be bored of him if they watched weekly but there’s no denying he’s head and shoulders above everyone else. Of course, that’s half the problem. No-one else feels like a threat or anywhere close to his level. It’s all going to be worth it though if the rumours of Big Match John returning for Summerslam are true. That’s going to be huge if they go through with it. Real main event feel.

Funilly enough, it was the most innocuous of moments that I thought was the most noteworthy. During the Baron Corbin match Michael Cole mumbled something about Corbin fumbling his crown just like he fumbled footballs during his NFL career. The tone of it stood out massively. I’ve no problem with commentators slagging off the heels - Tony Schiavone having absolutely no time for Don Callis or MJF and endlessly calling them out for being pricks is one of my favourite things in wrestling - but this wasn’t like that at all. It was such a snide, shitty little dig. It didn’t get Corbin over as a heel, nor Cole over as a babyface. It didn’t even push the story. If anything, I wanted Corbin to find out Cole had said it and knock him out. It was typical of WWE in that it felt like a snarky, twatty comment to pop the boss.

I know AEW vs. WWE discussions can be tiresome, but that one moment highlighted a huge difference in why I’ll never miss a Dynamite but barely watch any WWE these days. Jim Ross aside, AEW feels like a show written, produced and performed by people in a relatively good mood. Corny, feel-good moments are always around the corner. That’s almost never the case with WWE. Beyond Bianca Belair at Wrestlemania, I’d struggle to think of any. It’s a show that feels written, produced and performed by people in a bad mood. A terrible combination of snides, bullies and people sulking through the motions, where the toxic working environment seeps into the product everywhere you look. Smiles on faces, indeed.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I didn't think that was Cole that said that about Corbin, I thought it was McAfee, being an ex footballer and who's character is neither a face or heel, rather a snidy prick and how Pat used to room with Corbin back in the day.

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

That ending is exactly the type of stuff they should have been doing while fans haven't been in. Just genuinely, terrifying stuff that didn't look hokey or cut away long enough to hide the crash mat. Camera trickery that I didn't know WWE even had in them anymore in the era of 50 cuts per minute. 

Whilst I agree, no one seems to be on Romans level, it's great to have such a dominating champion for the first time in years, a champion that doesn't go 50/50 in each feud, a champion that doesn't say daft stuff like 'suffering succotash' , a champion that knows his worth and refuses to go anywhere in the card other than first or last. Maybe if more people knew their worth or acted their worth in WWE, there would be more force for change. I'm all in with Roman, the one act in the whole company I will go out of my way to watch the each segment he is involved in.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, KJHenley said:

That doesn't even make sense, Corbin was an Offensive Lineman. Sure it wasn't Cole?

Watched it back and you're right it was Cole. It is a bafflingly stupid line but you'd assume it's one he's been fed to say by someone who clearly had no idea which position Corbin played.

On 6/12/2021 at 3:29 AM, Supremo said:

It was such a snide, shitty little dig. It didn’t get Corbin over as a heel, nor Cole over as a babyface. It didn’t even push the story. If anything, I wanted Corbin to find out Cole had said it and knock him out.

Oh, wow. I never thought anything could make me a fan of Boring Corbin but him punching out Michael Cole would be a start.

What's Bayley's gimmick now then, I've seen bits here and there and it looks like she's just glued a load of old Gilda Radner bits together and cobbled a weird character. I know WWE kind of brought her to the main roster and made her a child and an idiot, but what's her latest bit about. She acts like a teenager on too much sugar hosting an imaginary talk show she'd host in her room, but has real guests. 

Also Reginald, manager? Just a bloke? Does he work matches? 

Edited by Chili

It's like Broken Matt's laugh. It strikes me that they did that noise backstage or on a podcast once and the wrong person heard it and decided that was their gimmick now, and both of them shrugged, figuring "Hey, at least that's another 6 months on TV." 

36 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

It's like Broken Matt's laugh. It strikes me that they did that noise backstage or on a podcast once and the wrong person heard it and decided that was their gimmick now, and both of them shrugged, figuring "Hey, at least that's another 6 months on TV." 

Oh like when Kurrgan danced and Vince clocked it. Money. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Honestly Bayley comes on the TV and I switch it off. It's another example of them completely missing the mark with a heel character.

Edited by Shy Dad

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Also Reginald, manager? Just a bloke? Does he work matches? 

Little bit of all 3, really.

He's more of a second than a proper manager - was introduced as Carmella's personal sommelier, started favouring Sasha Banks over his boss after about 3 weeks which got him involved in the Banks/BelAir storyline for a bit, then he dropped out of that and re-emerged as Nia's boyfriend.

He's had 4 or 5 matches, all against women IIRC. They are mostly based around him performing gymnastic evasions etc - he was Cirque du Soleil before joining WWE. 

To start off with the women mostly beat him up, but he pinned Shayna Baszler the other week (like everyone does these days).

1 hour ago, burchybabi said:

It’s been announced that the HIAC match between Roman & Rey has been moved to SmackDown tonight instead of the PPV.

Don't know what's more indecisive. WWE's booking or the search for the next Spurs manager.