The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Zelina Vega has gone 0-3 since returning, didn’t even get an entrance here and then lost in under three minutes. I wonder how she feels about publicly supporting unionisation now?

Toni Storm is a great addition to the main roster’s women’s division. I’ll never understand why it took so long but there’s a lot of potential there.

The stuff at the festival was outright painful. Thousands of people looking bored as fuck and some of the most obvious piped in crowd reactions of all time. Would it have killed them to send some of the bigger stars like Mysterio? Montez Ford still displays more potential than anyone they have in the company though. Didn’t look out of place at all strutting down that catwalk.

Roman and Balor has got to be one of the most handsome combinations of wrestlers of all time, surely? Two very attractive men.

I keep waiting for the Cena/Roman thing to click but it hasn’t yet. Hated Roman’s promo in particular. Talk about how you’re the best and you want to beat the other guy! Stop doing all this cute shit insulting each other’s promos or appearances. Bore off. I don’t know if AEW’s promos being so great recently has further exposed this stuff but I spend the entire time waiting for someone to say something of actual substance that makes me want to see them fight. I’ve got to respect the cheek of this company though. Scripting Roman Reigns to slag someone off for doing the same thing week in and week out. Incredible.

44 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Scripting Roman Reigns to slag someone off for doing the same thing week in and week out. Incredible.

He's a heel. Of course he's going to say that. Plus to be fair he's changed his entire attitude and got Paul Heyman and new music etc etc. So he's in a prime position to mock Cena in that way.

• Paid Members

If you think the writers thought, “Roman is a heel so it’ll be excellent shithousery if he mocks someone for doing the same thing week in and week out after he’s done nothing but mumble backstage with his cousins for about nine fucking months,” then you’ve more faith in them than me. Forgive me for being cynical but I suspect the irony was completely lost on them.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I know I’m the idiot for expecting anything else. This isn’t the company to watch for character development or new ideas. It’s a company where you find something that works and then you do it forever. I can’t help myself but dream though. Roman’s so good in this role and his delivery is so great. Can you imagine if he actually went off on the fans for everything they put him through? Fuckers ruined every big moment he ever had. Booed him out the building when Lesnar caved his skull in. Made his life hell for years. This guy with that amount of ammo to run down the fans? They’re leaving magic on the table just having him mumble, “acknowledge me,” every single week.

Edited by Supremo

Thing is this version of Roman is still relatively fresh and new compared to Cena. So his argument isn't wrong. I get that things do end up repetitive but Reigns is hardly the first act to do similar things week in week out. That's fairly standard for the majority of wrestlers. They all have their catchphrases. They all have their moves. They all have their entrances etc.

An angry heel who shed the majority of his former character vs a guy who has barely wavered from his core character in however many years. Its a fair point. And it's a feud that has literally only just started this week so it's interesting to see people writing it off already. There's still a month to go. There's still time to intensify and make it more personal. I wouldn't expect their best promos in the first week.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:55 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

WWE got a centre stage slot at a music festival. A chance to get a crowd of people who wouldn't necessary know the product, who could be lapsed fans, or maybe could be new fans. And have people on Smackdown who have feet in hollywood and outside of wrestling, and they decide the best person to send out first is Otis. FFS. The set up looked great on TV as well which made it more annoying.

The show was a bit of a mess outside of when Paul or Roman were on the mic. Interesting they have got Balor involved in the title picture so soon, but I like him so happy to see if it leads to anything.

They could have sent out Hulk Hogan and it would have done nothing crowd wise anyway.

The people there had waited 18 months to see a hip hop festival, not wrestling. A waste of time. Hip hop fans and wrestling have nothing in common. It’s not the 2021 version of rock n wrestling that Vince McMahon seems to fancy it as.

5 hours ago, FUM said:

Hip hop fans and wrestling have nothing in common

This just isn't true. There is a massive crossover potential of fans, but it just will never be as big as it once was. Wrestling that is, so any attempt looks small time compared to 'rock and wrestling' or the 'nu metal bands playing' days, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

This article explains it better than I can.

https://www.fanbyte.com/wrestling/after-bad-bunny-wwe-has-no-excuse-not-to-embrace-hip-hop/

On 7/24/2021 at 11:49 AM, Supremo said:

Zelina Vega has gone 0-3 since returning, didn’t even get an entrance here and then lost in under three minutes. I wonder how she feels about publicly supporting unionisation now?

What was the point in bringing her back? She has to be having second thoughts now? She looks already settled into Enhancement talent role, she is going to spend the rest of the year jobbing to Liv Morgan and Natalya whilst her husband and the man she used to manage rip it up in aew.

I get why WWE resigned her, but i will never understand why she put pen to paper once more.

9 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

What was the point in bringing her back? She has to be having second thoughts now? She looks already settled into Enhancement talent role, she is going to spend the rest of the year jobbing to Liv Morgan and Natalya whilst her husband and the man she used to manage rip it up in aew.

I get why WWE resigned her, but i will never understand why she put pen to paper once more.

Her values, beliefs and principles didn't matter as much to her once she started earning less money.

Edited by The Dart

1 hour ago, The Dart said:

Her values, beliefs and principles didn't matter as much to her once she started earning less money.

I don't think that's fair at all. From a human point of view, she's likely to have left a workplace in which she has a lot of close friends. In the time she's had to reflect, her love for the job, and love for the people she is close to may outweigh her views on unions. As for the point on money, I may be misinterpreting your tone, but I don't think it's something you should talk about dismissively. When faced with the reality of earning less money, and looking at her options, if WWE is a preferable option for her, then so be it. Perhaps she'll regret it, perhaps she won't. But I don't think it's fair to judge her negatively based on that decision to go back. 

• Paid Members

It's incredibly spiteful but she deserves it. She, still employed by the company, kicked up a huge fuss about Unions which she was right to do and it was admirable and then got let go. Instead of carrying on with the Union sword that she fell on, or even going to another company or the indies with more work flexibility where she can wrestle under her own terms, she went crawling back to the same shitty company she was gagging to leave, in a worse role for probably less money.
She's incredibly naive and stupid at best. What a bizarre yet completely predictable situation she's now in. Probably locked in for years. She's an idiot.