WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

It's not in direct competition with AEW either. Aside from the NXT:UK audience being about 12 people, the time difference means they're not up against each other. The only people who shit out are the ones who'd go to both this and NJPW. How many is that realistically?

Notes from Wrestling Inc

He probably wasn’t even aware of New Japan announcing a show for the same date at the beginning of January then...

Triple H spoke to the media after this weekend's 

NXT "Takeover: XXV" special and said the date had nothing to do with AEW. He said the date for "Takeover: Cardiff" was booked before WrestleMania 35.

"I will just say this to everybody in here, contrary to I'm sure some of the buzz, the date of August 31 is a date we've had for a long time," Triple Hsaid. "That building has been booked with us in Cardiff, geez, long before WrestleMania 35 I think. We just hadn't announced because it wasn't the right time, and you don't want to announce something for a brand 6 months out or whatever, at least I don't the way I see it. Tonight was the right night to do it, it had nothing to do with anybody else, to be honest. We will take place live in primetime in the UK and be on in the afternoon here in the US, so it is what it is.[\quote]

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not in direct competition with AEW either. Aside from the NXT:UK audience being about 12 people, the time difference means they're not up against each other. The only people who shit out are the ones who'd go to both this and NJPW. How many is that realistically?

There's definitely crossover audience, as both brands are geared more towards the "diehard" crowd, and both are shows hoping you'd travel from out of time to see them.

I don't buy Triple H's line that this has been planned since before NJPW was announced, as the timing of it means their go-home TV will be the stuff they're filming at Download, which would ordinarily be a glorified house show, rather than expecting any ongoing storyline stuff.

I'm convinced NXT UK's whole reason for being is to try and get a stranglehold on the UK scene - we've seen it with them timing events and major announcements around WOS's stuff, so why would they be any different around another competitor in the same market? 

If nothing else, NXT UK puts paid to their "the brand is the draw" argument, when no fucker watches it, and those of who follow the UK scene aren't going to pay over the odds to see their live shows when everyone worth watching wrestles elsewhere for a lower entry fee.

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's definitely crossover audience, as both brands are geared more towards the "diehard" crowd, and both are shows hoping you'd travel from out of time to see them.

I don't buy Triple H's line that this has been planned since before NJPW was announced, as the timing of it means their go-home TV will be the stuff they're filming at Download, which would ordinarily be a glorified house show, rather than expecting any ongoing storyline stuff.

I'm convinced NXT UK's whole reason for being is to try and get a stranglehold on the UK scene - we've seen it with them timing events and major announcements around WOS's stuff, so why would they be any different around another competitor in the same market? 

If nothing else, NXT UK puts paid to their "the brand is the draw" argument, when no fucker watches it, and those of who follow the UK scene aren't going to pay over the odds to see their live shows when everyone worth watching wrestles elsewhere for a lower entry fee.

WWE book most their venues a year in advance.  It's not beyond belief that they booked this venue 5 months ago. Also, "Download would ordinarily be a house show".  This is the first Download since NXT UK begun.  Given they've done TV tapings at Axxess, them doing it at Download doesn't mean anything unusual.

6th most watched show on the Network last week.  3 of the top 5 were one off specials.  More viewers than 205 Live.  Saying no one watches it is silly.

3 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

Well im going to try and make it as the Blackpool Takeover was good fun.

I dont know Cardiff at all, does anyone know where this is likely to be held?

The Motorpoint Arena is probably the most likely venue. It’s right in the middle of town and it’s where all the WWE house shows are held. The Ice Arena would be an outside bet, but a better option I reckon.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, The Dart said:

6th most watched show on the Network last week.  3 of the top 5 were one off specials.  More viewers than 205 Live.  Saying no one watches it is silly.

In 205 Live’s defence, I haven’t seen last week’s as I’ve been on holiday, so about half their regular viewership was missing on last week’s figures.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The Dart said:

That's not really saying much. Y'know Dunne vs WALTER 2 happened a couple of weeks ago on NXT-UK, but you wouldn't know it as no fucker cares. The only people chatting about it on social media were wrestlers who are employed by WWE and the few accounts who GIF every WWE show. The same goes for every other episode of WWE-UK TV.

WWE-UK is a stale, stagnant, lifeless, creatively void product which has been tremendously coined as 'Placeholder Wrestling'. It's just a vehicle for WWE to keep their grubby fingers in the wrestling pie in a scene that feels worse off due to their continued presence. It exhibits none of the style, edge or exuberance that brought BritWres to it's current popularity peak and is an embarrassing representation of the scene. You could even argue that the current BritWres boom-period started to settle and die down when WWE started to dig their heals into the soil here.

I wish Takeover:Cardiff every success and it hope kick starts some much needed life in the brand, but it's real easy to see through their attempts at hitting the competition (maybe they've realised that their foothold isn't as strong as they thought?). I'll be an New Japan that day, and I do feel like I've chosen the superior product. I hope that I'm proven wrong.

in fairness to NXT-UK - Blackpool takeover was an excellent show. now granted, I don't watch the weekly product either, but I'll tune in for the next Takeover.

I don't know how quickly Blackpool tickets went - but I'd envisage a similar take up for this, despite the NJPW show in London.

• Paid Members

Good point from Alan Boon over at Love The Graps: If this has all been planned for months, why didn't they announce/plug Takeover: Cardiff when they did a WWE house show at Cardiff a couple of weeks ago, complete with a Pete Dunne-Walter match.

4 hours ago, JNLister said:

Good point from Alan Boon over at Love The Graps: If this has all been planned for months, why didn't they announce/plug Takeover: Cardiff when they did a WWE house show at Cardiff a couple of weeks ago, complete with a Pete Dunne-Walter match.

Have they ever used a main roster house show to plug NXT UK events before? Or even to plug NXT tours? If they have, I’d say it’s fairly clear this wasn’t planned that far out.