WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Considering they’ve spent a load of money setting up a performance centre, it’s not going away anytime soon. 

It’s a warehouse with a ring and a Few Argos weight benches. If could go away without a jot of notice 

36 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Are we talking about Vince here or just your opinion on NXT UK?

Vince. Just because he has spent money on something doesnt mean it's around to stay. He as a history of getting bored with things/cutting his losses and I guarentee he has likely spent WAY less on this than the original XFL, the WBF and countless other things.

Wouldn’t be a surprise to see this gone within another year or so. It was only ever launched to kill off WOS in the first place, which they probably didn’t even need to do. They’ll either keep who they want and intergrate them into the regular NXT or do like they were before and have a bunch of guys on contract and let them work certain indies again

• Awards Moderator

The show’s actually been getting better the past few weeks. The addition of Imperium as a unit to the top of the card has given their main stars of Dunne and Moustache Mountain some focus, the women’s division’s got a few storylines ongoing and there’s been a lot less of ‘stick two random lads in a match’ than they’ve been prone to do in the past.

If it is then they might as well jack it in now. That match has been done already and I’ve no desire to see it again. Depends what comes out of these Plymouth tapings, but at this stage Takeover is quite far down the list of priorities.

I’d be more concerned about trying to make the place look half full on the night as you can still get tickets quite easily. They’ve got another taping day at the same venue the day after aswell, which according to the seat plan is setting up for half as many people. Surely these shows arn’t making any sort of money

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Wouldn’t be a surprise to see this gone within another year or so. It was only ever launched to kill off WOS in the first place, which they probably didn’t even need to do. They’ll either keep who they want and intergrate them into the regular NXT or do like they were before and have a bunch of guys on contract and let them work certain indies again

It depends on what their motivation for wanting to kill off WOS was - if it was about another company having a better UK TV deal, or someone else muscling in on the UK market, then they might see NXT UK as another front on which to fight off AEW.

I suspect that the reason they were so aggressive towards WOS is that they set a precedent for wrestlers getting union coverage, and WWE wanted to nip that in the bud. The "WE ARE INDEPENDENT" T-shirt lads seem to be pushing for wrestlers to get Equity membership, so WWE might still have their eyes on the UK. Or it might just be a holding tank to stop people signing elsewhere.

I watched the latest episode yesterday, first one I've watched since Piper Niven's first appearance. I know it was at Download, but the atmosphere was fucking dreadful. Dead silence for Toni Storm vs. Candy Floss, aside from an incongruous "we want tables" chant during a wristlock. No heat for anything. The whole set-up looked so out of place with WWE commentary and a WWE logo in the corner, and it genuinely surprised me they'd be happy to stick their name on a show that looked this bad. I'm a fan of a few of the guys in the main event, but your Dave Mastiffs and Joe Coffeys don't look special when you book them in matches with five other big fuckers with massive beards as well. 

If I needed any more reason to not believe WWE's claim that Takeover Cardiff was booked months before NJPW announced their UK show, or AEW announced the date of their next show, it would be that they're trying to build to it on the music festival shows that they knew would look like this, and are only ever dull house show fare.

I watched some of the stuff filmed at Download. You’re never going to get the crowd you want because you’ve got this mix of people who watch the show, lapsed fans, people watching something while they kill time before watching something they want to see and people heading to the first bit of shelter they can find if any rain hits.

At least with the regular tapings/Takeover, you’ve got people who have decided to buy a ticket, whereas something like Download you’ve got unfamiliar/uninterested people just milling about.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

On 7/12/2019 at 9:31 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

[...]

At least with the regular tapings/Takeover, you’ve got people who have decided to buy a ticket, whereas something like Download you’ve got unfamiliar/uninterested people just milling about finding shelter from the weather.