WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

I was honestly surprised when I saw he'd worked the tapings - maybe they just don't give a toss because he's "only" a referee, but normally RevPro is one of WWE's blacklist promotions. For him to work RevPro and NJPW and NXT UK is politically kind of interesting.

• Paid Members

Yeah seems like the tide is with him at the moment. Really hope he gets a full time gig. He's been working his bollocks off since he was 15, so it's great to see him get to where he is after all the hard work. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I was honestly surprised when I saw he'd worked the tapings - maybe they just don't give a toss because he's "only" a referee, but normally RevPro is one of WWE's blacklist promotions. For him to work RevPro and NJPW and NXT UK is politically kind of interesting.

Whats the deal with RevPro and WWE, never heard about that before?

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Whats the deal with RevPro and WWE, never heard about that before?

It varies all the time with how WWE treat their UK contracts - at one point they could work anywhere so long as it was cleared by WWE, then it was anywhere but a set list of promotions (of which RevPro was one), then any booking that fit a list of WWE's demands (e.g., that they had a medical professional on hand), then just a set list of WWE's acceptable promotions, and so on.

RevPro not being allowable has been one of the constants, though - largely because of their relationship with NJPW. RevPro aren't able to book NXT:UK talent - Quildan was complaining about this on a podcast since before the NXT:UK brand was launched.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

RevPro not being allowable has been one of the constants, though - largely because of their relationship with NJPW. RevPro aren't able to book NXT:UK talent - Quildan was complaining about this on a podcast since before the NXT:UK brand was launched.

It wasn't always like this. WWE even name-checked Rev Pro at the press conference when they launched the UK tournament in late 2015, not sure what happened in the since time, but I assume the NJPW relationship is a major part of it. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It wasn't always like this. WWE even name-checked Rev Pro at the press conference when they launched the UK tournament in late 2015, not sure what happened in the since time, but I assume the NJPW relationship is a major part of it. 

It's absolutely the NJPW relationship, and the gradual marking out of territory as to who gets to work with who. 

In the early days of "WWE UK", Fight Club Pro held a six-man tag of The Elite vs. British Strong Style, which would never happen now. More recently, Toni Storm was pulled from a match in STARDOM against Bea Priestley because Bea's signed to AEW.

It's an ever-changing set of rules and exceptions to rules that makes a UK promoter's job an absolute nightmare, but - aside from the one constant that WWE bookings are prioritised - it feels closer to a CMLL/AAA relationship where you can work one but not the other, and working for one will generally rule out you working with a partner company of the other...but then you get two or three steps removed in terms of partner companies and it gets more confusing.

For example, PROGRESS and WXW, both very much on Team WWE, are running a show with SMASH Wrestling in Canada over Summerslam weekend. But, that same weekend, OWE - a partner company of AEW - are working with SMASH as well. 

18 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I haven't listened to Andy Quildan's podcast so I could be dead wrong on this, but I'm pretty convinced there was a key point at which RevPro basically had to decide whether they were going to lean into their WWE relationship (their footage has been used on NXT and WWE TV at times, and there was definitely some sort of relationshp there) or into their relationship with New Japan. Obviously they made their decision and are seeing the relative merits and demerits of it.

4 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I haven't listened to Andy Quildan's podcast so I could be dead wrong on this, but I'm pretty convinced there was a key point at which RevPro basically had to decide whether they were going to lean into their WWE relationship (their footage has been used on NXT and WWE TV at times, and there was definitely some sort of relationshp there) or into their relationship with New Japan. Obviously they made their decision and are seeing the relative merits and demerits of it.

They've certainly made the correct choice as well. Good on Quildan for sticking to the partnership that brought RevPro into a proper spotlight.

Was surprised when I seen him, he got a farewell at Progress Wembley show so thought he was away on the other side. May have just been a short notice needed a ref tho, since that taping have seen Chris Sharpe who works as a ref for nxt uk reaching its trying to build a database up of trained refs, so they may have just been caught short with the Scottish refs they use being unavailable for the tapings