WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

* 28-year-old Dubliner Karen Glennon, a seven-year veteran who competes under the name of Martina. Known for her irreverent behavior inside the ring, Glennon is currently a titleholder in Scotland and has toured the U.S. and Japan, in addition to throughout the U.K.

* Popular Londoner Candy Floss, 19, who has made many appearances in NXT UK. A freestyle wrestler in her youth, she began training for sports-entertainment at age 15.

* Six-year pro Bethany Jefferson, aka Shax, who has previously trained at the WAW Academy in Norwich headed by Paige’s parents, Saraya & Ricky Knight.

* Italian wrestler Sabrina Casiraghi, who’s gone by the aliases Jokey and Aivil. Casiraghi made her debut in March 2015 and is currently a champion in Italy. She has also competed regularly in Glasgow-based Insane Championship Wrestling.

* Professional bodybuilder and bikini model Heather Schofield of Manchester, England. Schofield began training at Marty Jones’ Squared Circle Wrestling Academy in Manchester last year.

* Ireland’s Valkyrie Marie Cusak, 22. After initially learning the ropes in Bray in 2014, she traveled to England to study at various wrestling schools. She holds the women’s title for Over The Top Wrestling in Dublin.

* Australia’s “Python Powerhouse” Steph De Lander. Before training for the ring, De Lander played soccer and danced in various styles, including ballet and tap.

* Jamie Hayter, from Southampton, England. The 5-foot-8 Hayter, who recently battled Piper Niven on NXT UK, has four years’ experience, including touring with Japan’s Stardom promotion.
WWE U.K. Performance Center tryout, June 2019: photos

* 24-year-old Winona Makanji, better known as Kanji, a high-flyer who made her in-ring debut in December 2017.

* Philippine-born Gisele Mayordo, from Canada. Trained by Lance Storm, the 5-foot-7 Mayordo wrestles as Gisele Shaw. She wrestled in high school and was a competitive figure skater before turning to the squared circle.

* 22-year-old “Rhio” Rhianna McDonnell. A two-time Preston City Wrestling Women’s Champion, McDonnell is a multi-sport athlete who has a background in karate and taekwondo.

* Former powerlifting champion Kaydell Joyce, from Dublin, better known as Debbie Keitel. She began her training three years ago and has since learned under the likes of England’s Marty Jones and Japan’s Emi Sakura.

* 20-year-old Mariah May Mead, a wrestler and model from England. Training since January 2018, she made her in-ring debut earlier this year. While in high school, Mead ran track and field and cross country, including in national competitions.

* British wrestler Jade Noble, aka “Poison Princess” Jayde. The 5-foot-10 Noble held titles for APEX Pro Wrestling and HOPE Wrestling.

* 20-year-old Emma O’Sullivan, aka Raven Creed, from Cork, Ireland. A black belt in karate, O’Sullivan has been wrestling for five years in Ireland and the U.K.

* Liverpool’s Hannah Simpson, aka Jessica light. The 25-year-old learned the ropes at the Fighting Spirit Wrestling School headed by NXT UK Tag Team Champions Grizzled Young Veterans.

* British wrestler Chloe Smyth, better known by the ring alias Dani Luna. Making her pro debut in late 2016, Smyth is the reigning women’s champion for the Wales-based Dragon Pro Wrestling.

* 25-year-old Mercedez Blaze, an independent wrestler who competes on the U.K. indie scene.

Edited by King Mal the Glorious
Posted the full list of try outs, now can't type outside the spoiler box...

I get the roster are desperate for this to be a success, but it’s hard to see people as stars when to help with sales they are quite tweeting about how you can get a hotel in Newport for 50 quid a night. 

8 minutes ago, Louch said:

I get the roster are desperate for this to be a success, but it’s hard to see people as stars when to help with sales they are quite tweeting about how you can get a hotel in Newport for 50 quid a night. 

I must admit, I've seen a couple of NXT UK performers tweeting about how tickets are 'flying out already' and to buy now to avoid missing out.

all I can think is "I'm fairly sure they can't be if you're all tweeting begging folk to buy tickets"

Haven't heard of many of the girls as i'm pretty detached from the UK scene these days, I would expect them to snap up Mariah May, something got shared on my instagram regarding her or from her a while ago and I said to myself then she's exactly what they traditionally look for and vince would "Apollo Crewes" her if he met her. Never seen her wrestle so not making comments on that good or bad.

3 hours ago, simonworden said:

Haven't heard of many of the girls as i'm pretty detached from the UK scene these days, I would expect them to snap up Mariah May, something got shared on my instagram regarding her or from her a while ago and I said to myself then she's exactly what they traditionally look for and vince would "Apollo Crewes" her if he met her. Never seen her wrestle so not making comments on that good or bad.

I think she’s had about 4 matches, I could see her being brought in as a backstage interviewer or an announcer.

I found myself enjoying NXT:UK far more than it’s brother/sister-brand this week. Fine matches, with solid finishes, no one looked out of place, and a few stand-out performances, especially Dragunov who looked ridiculously good, (must look out his pre-WWE stuff - any suggestions?). Main event was fun, and everything I could ask for. Go Team UK! 

2 hours ago, ThumpSquids said:

I found myself enjoying NXT:UK far more than it’s brother/sister-brand this week. Fine matches, with solid finishes, no one looked out of place, and a few stand-out performances, especially Dragunov who looked ridiculously good, (must look out his pre-WWE stuff - any suggestions?). Main event was fun, and everything I could ask for. Go Team UK! 

He had a great match with David Starr in Progress last December. They knocked absolute lumps out of eachother

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ThumpSquids said:

His match vs WALTER at the WXW 16 Carat Gold 2017 finals is essential viewing. It's on WXW's subscription service (Link the event HERE). The whole tournament is fantastic, as is 2018s and this years. 

Talking of 16 Carat 2018, that's where Ilja returned to WXW after a hiatus to one of the biggest pops you'll ever here. Everyone, including top brass like Steve Austin and Kevin Owens, were chatting about it;

(Conext: WALTER is set to face sneaky heel John Klinger for the championship, and promised to dethrone him. WALTER also has the ability to add a stipulation for the title match, thus, he makes it a three-way dance with the returning Ilja, the only guy who has had Klinger's number).

Edited by Accident Prone

7 hours ago, ThumpSquids said:

He had a belter of a match against Chris Ridgeway for Breed Wrestling at Sheffield City Hall just prior to his WWE debut. I'd seen very little of him prior to this but yeah, he's great. Intense and exciting.

The whole match is here: 

Cheers for reminding me about that match from Breed Pro, been meaning to watch it for ages.

Don’t know if it will make the NXT UK TV Episodes, but the Download Frstival app has let slip that

Adam Cole, Kyle O’Reiley, Shayna Bayzler and Matt Riddle

are set to appear over the course of the weekend

First time I've given this a look in a while but it feels like things are falling into place for the show. 

Appreciated the video packages. Happy I finally got some sort of explanation behind El Ligero's goofy mask gimmick, he's the perfect babyface to build up the old sympathy with. They did a good job of fleshing out Travis Banks and giving him a bit of likeability to hook onto as well.

Love what they're doing with Jinny as the monster manipulator, her and Jazzy could be a fun dynamic. Still haven't seen a women's match on this brand that I thought was particularly good though. Shame Millie Mckenzie seems to be gone, she was the most exciting worker of the lot from the little I saw.

This Dragunov guy is . . . different? Different is usually good, especially when put against Joseph Conners, but I think Ilja should tone it down a bit or the act will grow old real fast. Loved his torpedo-whateverthefuck finisher. Suitably bonkers.

The Imperium entrance is just wonderful. Cool as fuck. Loved the six man tag too, everyone played their role perfectly. WALTER has finally *clicked* for me now he's full on heel. The dominant monster champion that occasionally gets staggered by the smaller babyface challengers for the hope. Classic 101 stuff.  Never got Trent Seven as a singles guy but he's pretty ace in the Ricky Morton type role. Wolfe stuck out like a sore thumb standing next to the other Imperium guys, it'll be interesting to see how he fits in.

I'm not rushing to judgement on Dragunov - I'm sure he's earned his fine reputation and we'll hopefully see him showing how in time - but I can't say I've liked the look of him so far. He really reminds me of a little boy playing wrestler, unaware of how his physique and general appearance do not fit at all with the character he's pretending to be. Honestly, he looks so dweeby I feel like his ring gear may as well be pants and vest, so every time he no sells something it just makes me roll my eyes.