WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Brilliant. Shawn Michaels doesn’t know enough about today’s wrestling, so Jim Cornette should be doing his job.

Or... "whoever are deemed to have the same qualities in today's wrestling climate?" You missed that bit out.

I still maintain that Cornette would do a better job, based on the amount of different jobs and roles he has had compared to Michaels mainly being a wrestler (in between two lengthy bouts of inactivity), but neither are up to speed on today's wrestling.

14 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Or... "whoever are deemed to have the same qualities in today's wrestling climate?" You missed that bit out.

I left that alone because of how stupid it is, but as you’ve highlighted it... That’s not an actual suggestion, is it? It’s just shite that further demonstrates you’ve no grounds to comment on Smallman or Michaels. Deemed by who to have which “same qualities”?

• Paid Members

Jim Smallman took a promotion from a venue with a capacity of a couple of hundred people to running Wembley in under ten years, and played a significant part in giving the wrestling scene in London a much-needed kick up the arse. I'm not even a Progress fan, but there's not many others in the UK scene now or ever that could boast that kind of success, and he seemed to manage it without having to have worked a bunch of odd jobs in wrestling beforehand, so I'd struggle to think of anyone more qualified for the position. And given that your answer is "a hypothetical modern day Jim Cornette" rather than being able to actually name names, it seems you can't think of anyone better either.

Besides, NXT UK has never been about "taking over the UK market". It's barely even about making money. It's about, politically, putting the kibosh on WOS Wrestling, and it's about creating a clear direction of travel from indie wrestlers they have an eye on to getting into WWE in some capacity. The live shows are a means to an end, not the end itself.

Edited by BomberPat

What about the appointment of Shaun Michaels, which was the most puzzling of the two positions, for me?

His qualifications seem to be :
1, A former world class in ring performer.
2, Reformed drug addict, who was a complete arsehole to most of his colleagues for years.
3, Mate of Triple H (this is the most important qualification).

Did you see him at Wrestlemania on the panel with a tie around his neck and a t-shirt? What a bellend!

OK i concede that Smallman is not the worst appointment in the history of wrestling (i only said he "would not be my first choice"), but Michaels is defo "Jobs for the boys"

Not dissimilar to when Stephanie McMahon went from college to "The Head of Creative" 😝

There are some very experienced and talented people behind the scenes at the WWE, but there are also a huge amount of people who are on the payroll that seem to be put in positions within the company to almost give them something to do?

Wrestling seems to hire a lot of people on "Who you know" and in more extreme cases "Who you blow!"

It's probably best i end this on a positive note and tell you who i think was a fantastic appointment and that was Rob Brookside as trainer at NXT, yes he is mates with Regal, but he has a tonne of experience and a real passion for what he does. I don't begrudge him a penny for all the years of hard work (and crappy money) it took him to finally be in a well paid job he is very worthy and capable of doing.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

His qualifications seem to be :
1, A former world class in ring performer.

Is this not a hugely valid qualification for training others how to wrestle? Not forgetting he's had a hand in training his fair share of talent over the years, such as Daniel Bryan.

I think it's fair to say wrestlers in development can learn a hell of a lot from one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time.

You're right in that Robbie Brookside is a fantastic appointment, I know from first hand experience that he's an excellent trainer. But how is he a good appointment and Michaels isn't, when the reasons you've outlined for Brookside being a good appointment also apply to Michaels?

Edited by PunkStep

If guys like Michaels and Angle (maybe in the near future?) and others of their level are interested in getting into backstage roles and passing on knowledge to the new guys then WWE would be crazy not to utilise them. Jobs for the boys? Hardly. Why would they not want some of the best wrestlers ever working with their upcoming talent? Really can't see why anyone would be against that.

18 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Is this not a hugely valid qualification for training others how to wrestle? Not forgetting he's had a hand in training his fair share of talent over the years, such as Daniel Bryan.

I think it's fair to say wrestlers in development can learn a hell of a lot from one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time.

You're right in that Robbie Brookside is a fantastic appointment, I know from first hand experience that he's an excellent trainer. But how is he a good appointment and Michaels isn't, when theJim Smallman is the head writer, and Shawn Michaels produces the shows reasons you've outlined for Brookside being a good appointment also apply to Michaels?

There was no mention of training in the original post, all it said was "Jim Smallman is the head writer, and Shawn Michaels produces the shows". I have no doubt that Michaels could be useful as a trainer, but as a TV Producer????

I maintain that Michaels would not be my first choice as a TV producer and the reason he is in that role is because of his friendship with Triple H.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, PunkStep said:

You're right in that Robbie Brookside is a fantastic appointment, I know from first hand experience that he's an excellent trainer. But how is he a good appointment and Michaels isn't, when the reasons you've outlined for Brookside being a good appointment also apply to Michaels?

I don't disagree with your overall point, but the first isn't necessarily a given, no? As is often noted, people who are great at something aren't necessarily good at teaching it, and a lot of great teachers and coaches weren't necessarily great at the subject/discipline they teach.

Also, the second point: I remember someone on here saying that Michaels didn't have all that much of a hand in Bryan's training - not sure how accurate that is, though.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I don't disagree with your overall point, but the first isn't necessarily a given, no? As is often noted, people who are great at something aren't necessarily good at teaching it, and a lot of great teachers and coaches weren't necessarily great at the subject/discipline they teach.

True, but that's usually more applicable when teaching from the ground up. At NXT UK you have wrestlers that have been doing this for years, which is where Michaels' input would be invaluable in taking them to the next level. I've known veteran wrestlers that aren't great at training newbies but are excellent when it comes to taking somebody experienced and helping them reach another level, especially when it comes to psychology.

48 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

There was no mention of training in the original post, all it said was "Jim Smallman is the head writer, and Shawn Michaels produces the shows". I have no doubt that Michaels could be useful as a trainer, but as a TV Producer????

Ah, I misread producer as trainer in the first post. But even then, as producer, hasn't he flanked Triple H while he's produced NXT over the years? I've seen him alongside Trips with headset backstage at events whenever footage is shown. By that token, he's surely the best choice? Essentially this is a show produced very similarly to NXT, and if Michaels has been there first hand with the original brand, then it makes perfect sense.

So if WWE want somebody to produce this show in a similar vein to the original NXT, ideally with relative experience, who do they go for?