WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

I went to the taping in Cov on Friday night. My first BritWres show in about 15 years and only my second live wrestling show in that time. I won't bang on about the fans because someone will cry but safe to say the biggest similarity between Hull Ice Arena in 2004 and Cov Ice Arena in 2019 is the weirdos that frequent the shows.

The young fans were ace though. Loved seeing all the kids walking around with replica belts in their mouths.

The crowd seemed pretty shitty. The ring announcer said at the end that only a handful of tickets remained for the Saturday night show which seemed a desperate tactic to help the crowd.

Will put some thoughts in tags in case anyone following spoiler free. No match results but there are spoilers for matches/appearances.

Best bits for me were Devlin vs. Banks in a falls count anywhere match, Noam Dar's appearance, seeing Moustache Mountain (who didn't wrestle) and seeing Pete Dunne. Devlin/Banks was loads of fun and Devlin is a great. He's got a terrific look, good act and works decent.

I like Eddie Dennis too but I think that's mostly because he looks like my mate DJ. His aura was somewhat dampened when he charged at a little girl in the crowd and she didn't flinch.

Dar cut a good promo to say he was part of NXT:UK full time and kicked off a programme with Mark Andrews. Kay Lee Ray also debuted but that was a bit of a damp squib.

Pete Dunne is incredible. Stayed behind for a good 20-30 mins at the end having pics with every kid and overgrown kid all around the ring and aisle. What a top, top man.

Best "live" moment was seeing a ref slid into the ring to turn over and position the UK title so that Dunne & Walter could do the old Bret & Shawn "step on the title" deal. He wasn't very subtle. Aichner had to immediately do a spot he fucked up and didn't do it much better the second time. If that still airs, the one more time chants will be confusing. he was visibly gutted. His partner marcel was really good though.

Didn't like:

Kassius Ohno is a big lad live. That's not a compliment.

Ligero. What a bag of wank. And not just because unoriginals in the crowd are shouting "he's from Leeds" constantly like it's some sort of secret despite him being announced as from ... Leeds.

Wasn't into Walter either. Sure he's bigger than most of these guys and his chops sound good but he sells way too much and his work is average. Dreadful look too IMO.

Nearly every tag team was hokey as hell. Some seriously underprepared women on the shows too.

Edited by tiger_rick

Where was this weeks show filmed? Crowd was a lot quieter than usual.

This needs to become the Rhea Ripley show. Everyone else comes  across really poor in the non in-ring segments. She’s money.

Slightly disappointed they didn’t turn WALTER and put him with Aichner and Marcel. A run of trios matches with BSS and Gallus in the run up to takeover would have been lovely.

13 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Where was this weeks show filmed? Crowd was a lot quieter than usual.

This needs to become the Rhea Ripley show. Everyone else comes  across really poor in the non in-ring segments. She’s money.

Slightly disappointed they didn’t turn WALTER and put him with Aichner and Marcel. A run of trios matches with BSS and Gallus in the run up to takeover would have been lovely.

The ones currently being shown are from Phoenix when they were at the Royal Rumble Axxess events. Quieter because there were fuck all people there, it showed last episode too.

Next set of shows from over here are the ones that were done in Coventry over the weekend, and will probably be on in 2-3 weeks. Then it’s onto Glasgow, Download Festival and then Plymouth 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

https://www.wwe.com/shows/nxtuk/article/new-superstars-join-nxt-uk-february-2019

WWE have announced 5 new signings for NXT UK. Kay Lee Ray and Jazzy Gabert has already been shown onscreen at Takeover Blackpool, Primate has now signed proper, and they’ve also signed Oliver Sauter and Ilja Dragonov (whom they’re referring to as Ilja Rukober)

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, JNLister said:

So the main event of last night's NXT UK show was an Austrian against an American in a match taped in America?

It was two Brits against a Brit and an American, actually. The match you refer to was on halfway through the show.

The Bate vs Gallagher opener this week was a lovely little technical match. Don’t think the crowd could have been quieter if they’d tried but I really enjoyed it.

Catching up on the bits of the show that I want to watch, and thank fuck we’re past those shows they did in Phoenix at Royal Rumble Axxess. Tyler Bate and Jack Gallagher put on an enjoyable technical match and you’ve got Ohno and Walter in a big lads battle, but you could hear a pin drop because there are fuck all people there. I don’t know if they’re planning to do the same at Wrestlemania weekend, but I’d be surprised if they do based on the last 3 weeks of TV from here.

The whole thing is very much Progress TV with the occasional NXT guy turning up. I know it’s Jim Smallman et al that’s writing the show and Shawn Michaels is producer, but it’s not exactly the “best of the U.K. scene” that it leads to believe, everyone with exception of Rhea Ripley and Gallus (who I’m sure have been in Progress at some point, but not totally certain) who gets any decent amount of airtime is a Progress Guy/girl.

Travis Banks is fucking shit. Someone needs to take his Low Ki tapes away and teach him how to work, brother

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Well it took me a little while to get past his appearance but I'm officially on board train Jordan Devlin. Really enjoyed the LMS match. It was fun getting to see around the arena wherever this was taped. Some brutal looking stuff in this match as well. Devlin using the ring apron for pin leverage was a cool little spot I'd never seen before. Ref bumps will always get a cheap pop out of me. Drake is my favourite ref, loved him selling the effects of it through the match even if the bump turned out to be pointless in the match story. I don't really get Travis Banks though. Watching this made it look like Banks was the Finn Balor trainee rather than Devlin, what with his stomps and general nothing-muchness

What's Jarrett's role in NXT UK? Big surprise seeing him amongst the unwashed.

Holy, moly! Barthel/Aichner are bloody wonderful to watch. Aichner is a tank, like a shorter, less goofy Cesaro. Them vs Grizzled Young Vets sounds mouth watering and it seems like they're in the Dusty Classic too. Awesome. 

Whoever's running promo classes has their work cut out for them. Some weak sauce on this show and it brings it down.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:16 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

It was two Brits against a Brit and an American, actually. The match you refer to was on halfway through the show.

The Bate vs Gallagher opener this week was a lovely little technical match. Don’t think the crowd could have been quieter if they’d tried but I really enjoyed it.

Even in a week loaded with quality action this match stood out as special and unique. I wish it finished with the wacky roll up sequence though, for the big pop. The ending was slightly flat after that. Still that's a minor gripe and I absolutely loved that match. It'd be great to see more Gallagher on this show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm intrigued by the route there're going with Ohno in NXT UK, as the American who's had to come over to show the "pretenders" what the British/European style is supposed to be.

It'll be interesting to see how it might translate in ring. I'd be up for a few weeks of him tying the Amir Jordans & Kenny Williamses of the world in knots.