WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, uklaw said:

Very good referee, well respected and has the distinction of being about 6’3, so taller than a lot of the wrestlers he’s in the ring with, in contrast to the norm of referees being smaller.

He must absolutely tower over most of the NXT UK lot then. I can foresee that being a problem for me; good referee or not, I like my refs to look smaller than the wrestlers.

So August 31st is looking stacked for wrestling fans

NXT Takeover:UK in Cardiff

NJPW Royal Quest in London

AEW All Out in Chicago

Just a coincidence Takeover is same day as Royal Quest?

Feels like there could be quite a crossover of fans who would attend both if on different days

1 hour ago, MVP RULZ said:

Just a coincidence Takeover is same day as Royal Quest?

Feels like there could be quite a crossover of fans who would attend both if on different days

To me it feels like both a classic WWE move and a terrible move also. I had a great time at Takeover Blackpool and would probably have bought tickets for this as I really like Cardiff, but I’m already going to NJPW so that ruled me out before they even announced it.  Why would you intentionally limit the number of tickets you can sell? Well, we all know the answer to that – to try and affect the competition.

NJPW shifted the majority of their tickets quite early on, you still get tickets now and I reckon they’ll shift a few more once the card starts to form, but you would imagine they’ll have sold the vast majority of what they were going to draw as soon as they went  on sale. Also, Royal Quest was announced at the start of the year, so it’s not like WWE have had to scramble to find a venue and put a show on to try and affect NJPW’s ticket sales

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Amazing. WWE's direct competition to NJPW and AEW is going to be Eddie Dennis and Joseph Connors. Like Wyatt says, Meltzer thinks NJPW have sold at least 6500 tickets already for their Royal Quest show, it's hard to imagine those fans swapping the prospect of Ibushi and Tanahashi for WWE:UK. I can't really see this going well for them.

in fairness it's a good spot to pick that day. Wales are playing the republic of Ireland in the final game of Warren gatlands reign at the principality stadium. That me and at least 80'000 extra folk into the city. advertise it right and it can easily sell a 2000 seater 

10 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

in fairness it's a good spot to pick that day. Wales are playing the republic of Ireland in the final game of Warren gatlands reign at the principality stadium. That me and at least 80'000 extra folk into the city. advertise it right and it can easily sell a 2000 seater 

1. They are playing Ireland. 

2. Rugby fans tend to be in pubs getting ratted, not watching lads they don’t know doing flips. The crossover is not there at all. It’s not like Mania. 

3. There’s about 7 million different shows that day already absorbing the travelling fans. 

11 minutes ago, Great Bear Promotions said:

1. They are playing Ireland. 

2. Rugby fans tend to be in pubs getting ratted, not watching lads they don’t know doing flips. The crossover is not there at all. It’s not like Mania. 

3. There’s about 7 million different shows that day already absorbing the travelling fans. 

I'm in Cardiff anyways to watch the rugby so it makes sense for me. if your an Irish wrestling fan, you can double up on the trip. 

37 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Not sure if it's crazy belief in NXT UK putting it up against the competition, or a real sign that they hardly give a shit.

Which makes it all the more depressing for me. Blackpool felt like a special event. It felt like a proper Takeover, despite theoretically lacking the significant talent. That they are happy to just let this one go out against whatever else is available that day speaks volumes. Especially when as noted Cardiff will already be rammed that day and hotels will be at a premium.