WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

Imagine being such a cretin that you wake up one morning and decide you’re going to have a random pop at WWE’s UK production team, based on nothing other than your own low IQ and some shite you’ve half-remembered from a Jim Cornette shoot interview you watched fifteen years ago.

20 hours ago, The Dart said:

How anyone can argue that the best wrestler of all time isn’t qualified to write/produce/train a developmental brand is insane.

All i said in my original post was that neither Smallman as a writer and Michaels as a TV producer would be my first choices. I then conceded that Smallman was not a bad choice.

I do not like Michaels or rate him as a human being. He was a brilliant wrestler though, nobody can take that away from him.

I am genuinely shocked at some of the comments on here, for what i thought was a fairly innocuous post.

• Awards Moderator

I know we’ve made fun of his physique on here before, but I thoroughly enjoyed Kassius Ohno treating teeny tiny Travis Banks like the teeny tiny twerp he is. Ohno shouldn’t be losing to the likes of him.

Downside of this week was Vic Joseph constantly mispronouncing Piper Niven’s surname. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I’m aware my last post in here was having a moan about Travis Banks, but he really is so distractingly tiny I can’t take him seriously. Especially when he does his little angry face.

Enjoyed the Xia Brookside video this week. I haven’t seen a Zoella video before but they were going with a sort of Zoella thing, right? That’s something a bit different and I like it.

Is Ilja Dragunov just another short lad in trunks who does chops and kicks or is there actually something different about him?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I’m skipping these at the moment until the tapings from Glasgow start airing. Last week had a match between Ligero and Ohno were I’m sure I heard someone in the next room cough. Id hoped they would have learn’t after they did the same at the Royal Rumble.

And these are supposedly your die-hard fans watching these. I know this week has Walter v Devlin, which I’m sure would be a good match, but I’m not watching it play out to deafening silence.

Travis Banks is shite. He’s shite here, he was shite in Progress, just fuck off and take your shitty little poncho with you

16 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Enjoyed the Xia Brookside video this week. I haven’t seen a Zoella video before but they were going with a sort of Zoella thing, right? That’s something a bit different and I like it.

I liked this too. It was a little jarring at first because I'm a decrepit old man bemused by YouTubers and what they do, but once I clicked that's what they were going for, I thought it was quite cool. Only thing about it was that it did make Xia seem so, so young; like it's weird to imagine her getting beaten up because she genuinely came across like a little girl. Still, it's intriguing.

16 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m skipping these at the moment until the tapings from Glasgow start airing. Last week had a match between Ligero and Ohno were I’m sure I heard someone in the next room cough. Id hoped they would have learn’t after they did the same at the Royal Rumble.

I agree about these tapings from PPV weekends and other events. They drive me crazy and make the whole show rough to watch for weeks. 

The crowd are dead and it also completely ruins my suspension of disbelief when it comes to timelines and story progress too. When NXT tapes a big block of episodes at Full Sail, the only real hint that these episodes aren't taped week-to-week like they pretend is that the crowd's energy occasionally seems out of step with the action, giving away that they've been there for hours. There are no real visual cues or other references: they hide it well. On NXT:UK, though, it feels so lazy. The commentators bang on about all this stuff that happened "last week" while showing you an event that was obviously taped a month ago at Wrestlemania weekend. Toni Storm even cut a promo a couple of weeks ago saying how great it was to be at Mania weekend while the commentators act as if we're weeks removed from it. 

Taping a weekly show in blocks isn't ideal, but it's understandable from a production point of view. If you're going to do it, though, at least try to maintain the illusion that it's a weekly show. At this rate, come December we'll probably be seeing Eddie Dennis beating up Santa in a Christmas themed episode taped in the summer sun at Download Festival.

Glasgow next week though, I think.

4 hours ago, textonly said:

I agree about these tapings from PPV weekends and other events. They drive me crazy and make the whole show rough to watch for weeks. The crowd are dead and it also completely ruins my suspension of disbelief when it comes to timelines and story progress too.

I was at the one which had Ligero vs. Kassius, KLR vs. Xia Li and Trent & Tyler v Andrews & Webster.  Front row for most of it.

The dark matches before the taping were dead, there was probably 75 people watching, but the size of the crowd luckily picked up and was pretty much full by the time the NXT UK taping begun and the crowd was really into it by the post show dark match, but the crowd was really quiet.  Trouble is, the main appeal of Axxess is the photos and autographs, very few people are going specifically to see the matches, so they're not really that into it.  It's just something to look at for 5 minutes before going to meet someone else.

I think if they did these Worlds Collide and NXT UK tapings as standalone events in a seperate venues, they'd probably have no problem getting good crowds as long as the price was reasonable and they'd get a crowd far more into it than you get at these ones.

• Paid Members

Surely NXT UK struggling to draw decent crowds puts paid to the idea that the WWE name itself is enough of a draw, or else highlights the downside of presenting NXT as separate from WWE?

Because it's aimed squarely at the "hardcore fan", but that fan likely knows they can see all the same wrestlers elsewhere for a fraction of the cost, so what do they have beyond the novelty of it being under a WWE umbrella?

Can’t remember if I have said it here before, but the UK scene grew as people wanted a wwe alternative. Wwe uk has come along, and the wwe Live attendee isn’t going as they want they ‘real’ tv stars, and the uk hardcore fan isn’t going as they don’t want to watch wwe. And certainly in Scotland, there are loads of companies selling out mid hundreds sized venues in advance, and the only one seeing a significant downturn in attendances, and downsizing venues it uses, is the wwe affiliated ICW. 

Theres an audience for uk wrestlers, there’s an audience for wwe in the uk, but wwe uk, na don’t see where it adds value to fans. I only hope to see it going as it’s letting some good wrestlers go full time and get access to learnings they are sharing on, which when Drew Galloway returned to the scene he brought and it improved many around him. I hope this does the same

• Awards Moderator

Going to take a break from my semi-regular moaning about Travis Banks for my semi-regular moaning about Flash Morgan Webster. He’s just so unconvincing when he’s on offence. I’ve talked before about every move he does looks like the opponent’s having to do it to themselves, but there was a moment in his match with Joe Coffey this week where he goes for a pin with a leg hooked and I swear a single sheet of A4 paper would have applied stronger force to the attempt.

Also Wild Boar’s another one who’s bloody tiny. When Tyler Bate towers over you, you’re not a wild boar, you’re a micro pig.