WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

43 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What's this spot? Is it the cartoon-ish thing that Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens feel compelled to do whenever they square up?

I should say it’s the Frye/Takayama, bloody predictive text.

But yeah, it’s where you tie and both are punching.

GWcHAfX.mp4

That Takeover has it happen in Mastiff v Dennis, Storm v Ripley and Dunne v Coffey, which all happened one after another

• Paid Members

I never really saw Frye/Takayama as the inspiration for that spot, but that makes a lot of sense. I always saw the way Owens and Zayn did it as a hockey fight.

Cesaro at Takeover UK seems desperate. He'll be over, but he's someone with no significant history in the UK - popped up a few times in the mid-00s, but never had a significant stint or a standout match anywhere that I'm aware of, has no real history with any wrestlers on the UK brand, so it's not even really analogous to Finn Balor showing up on the first one. Except that WWE clearly see WXW, and German wrestling in general, as an extension of the UK, and he has history there.

I guess he might have an ostensibly good, but zero stakes, match with someone like Pete Dunne. Or they might reference his history with Kassius Ohno and have them either face each other or team up against whoever. But what I'm predicting is that he does an open challenge, and it's answered by Aleister Black in an attempt to recreate the "he's (sort of) one of ours!" pop from his first WWE appearance in the UK.

Also, they'd be mad not to have Tegan Nox show up for this, and I genuinely think they're so clueless about the UK market that they're not going to have her there.

Edited by BomberPat

25 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Cesaro at Takeover UK seems desperate. He'll be over, but he's someone with no significant history in the UK - popped up a few times in the mid-00s, but never had a significant stint or a standout match anywhere that I'm aware of, has no real history with any wrestlers on the UK brand, so it's not even really analogous to Finn Balor showing up on the first one. 

While I can't disagree he didn't have a significant stint anywhere, he did have a cracking 2/3 falls match against Chris Hero at GPW Hostile Takeover in 2004, or so I thought at the time anyway. It was originally supposed to be Hero against B-Boy and people (or perhaps just me and the person I was with) were looking forward to it after their semi-final match in IWA Mid-South's Ted Petty Invitational and the Stylin & Profilin show a couple of months later. Only in typical BritWres style the promoter never bought B-Boy a plane ticket so he was never going to turn up, but he carried on advertising him and we were given Claudio as a late replacement.

Claudio was over here quite a bit back when he sported the extremely dodgy Swiss Money Holding ring gear / before he got into wild physical condition. Just sticking Cesaro vs Dunne on the card seems a bit desperate though. Almost like they have gone "Shit lads...we need a ****+ workrate match on this card pronto"

Just had a little look at the card for this.

Joe Coffey vs Dave Mastiff. The absolute opposite of a dream match.

30 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Just sticking Cesaro vs Dunne on the card seems a bit desperate though. Almost like they have gone "Shit lads...we need a ****+ workrate match on this card pronto"

Not too sure what’s wrong with that. Card looks a bit naff so put a match on there that they know will deliver.

Desperate or not, if it makes it a better show then why not?

Well you've nailed it really haven't you? The card looks very dull but that's something that's on them. It's not like its a crap card due to injuries or other matters outwith their control.

It's an uninspiring card from a lame duck product. Maybe with a bit more care and effort they wouldn't have to stick someone like Cesaro on the show at the 11th hour to try and make people interested.

I mean, NXT UK has really morphed into NXT Europe with Imperium and Dragunov being the focal points of the shows, so Cesaro would fit that mold. Anyway wouldn't the more obvious match be Devlin vs. Cesaro rather than Dunne? I know Devlin hasn't got a match and has at least acknowledged that he isn't on the card on television. I read Dunne was exclusively on NXT for the foreseeable future.

Bate/WALTER has been built up well, but yeah the card looks a bit uninspired. Decent precursor to All Out mind. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I never really saw Frye/Takayama as the inspiration for that spot, but that makes a lot of sense. I always saw the way Owens and Zayn did it as a hockey fight.

Ive always thought of it as the Shawn/Marty spot when they'd run into each other in a Rumble match.

• Paid Members

Go out of your way to watch the Network special, "Prime Target: NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff." Without a doubt, it's the best thing this company has produced all year. When I saw Jeremy Borash Tweet about it I knew it was going to be good, but man. This blew me away.

Night and day with the absolute shit they put out on Smackdown and Raw, this solidifies the insanity of bringing in a goof like Eric Bischoff when they've got a man as talented as Borash pissing about with the developmental leagues.

I haven't watched NXT UK since the last Takeover and yet now, in the space of about twenty odd minutes, this Tyler Bate vs. Walter match feels like the most important WWE match in a long, long time and both Tyler and Walter feel ten times the star of anyone on Mondays or Tuesdays.

I can't praise it enough. I know Triple H has argued in the past that what they do with these leagues is not the same as what they want to do on the main roster, but fucking hell. When you watch something like this, and see how much they get out of filming some guys in their back garden and putting some violin music over one or two heavy angles, you're really left wondering what the fuck they're doing on these main shows and how they've manage to lose their way so much. This is the business. Make me care about characters and stories. Make me excited for matches. Get me to root for the hero against the villain. It's so fucking simple.

There probably won't be another episode of, "Prime Target," all year. Doesn't matter. This one episode is enough to make it the TV show of the year. Fucking incredible. Seriously, Jeremy Borash is their ace in the hole in this war against AEW. If I were The Elite guys and I thought this was what we'd be competing with, I'd be shitting my pants and looking to change to Thursdays.

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Go out of your way to watch the Network special, "Prime Target: NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff." Without a doubt, it's the best thing this company has produced all year.

It is up on WWE's youtube page now for anyone who wants to watch it:

A really good 20-minute promo video for the Walter/Bate match.