WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Sid Scala fighting on Saint’s behalf perhaps?

That's already happening. 

Ohno's schtick seems to be that he's a World of Sport hipster, trying to prove to the Brits that he knows the "British style" better than them. It does feel like a natural conclusion for someone like Saint to step up to face him, and would be delightfully odd for Johnny Saint to have his first match under the WWE umbrella in 2019, I just can't see Saint managing well with such a significant height and weight difference.

23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Ohno's schtick seems to be that he's a World of Sport hipster, trying to prove to the Brits that he knows the "British style" better than them. It does feel like a natural conclusion for someone like Saint to step up to face him, and would be delightfully odd for Johnny Saint to have his first match under the WWE umbrella in 2019, I just can't see Saint managing well with such a significant height and weight difference.

How old is Saint now? Would they allow him to work a match? 
I know he and Ohno/Hero had a match several years ago but, as has been pointed out, he was much lighter then.

Could another British vet step up instead? I know Regal's had neck surgery - reckon Brookside would be up for a match? 

4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I know he and Ohno/Hero had a match several years ago but, as has been pointed out, he was much lighter then.

Could another British vet step up instead? I know Regal's had neck surgery - reckon Brookside would be up for a match? 

Johnny Saint is 78, no way is he working a match in any capacity.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Saint's 78. I can't see him wrestling for WWE but, in terms of whether he'd get cleared, I honestly don't know if there'd be any serious concerns - he still does significant cardio work every day, and has no history of head or neck issues, because he basically never bumped for most of his career, that's the boon of his style.

His last match was in 2015, but he's not worked even a light schedule since 2011. I spoke to someone who wrestled him a few years back, and they said he needs a few weeks to prep for a match, and is very selective about his opponents - style-wise, I think he'd be happy to work a largely mat-based match with someone like Ohno, but I think the size difference would make him wary about it.

Saying that, I honestly don't expect old man Saint to wrestle for them, just that stranger things have happened, and I would love for him to be able to round off his career with a WWE match! 

I don't know what the state of play with Brookside would be, or who else they'd have available to slot into that position - or if they would want to. Dave Taylor, at a push?

• Paid Members

I finally watched WALTER vs Bate last night. Really good match that was marred by the typically annoying crowd. Not just the chants ("Fight Forever", "Are You Watching Vince McMahon?" and "Mama Mia!" can get in the bin) but there was this one arsehole in the front row who WOULD NOT SIT THE FUCK DOWN. I found him so irrationally frustrating that he took me out of the match several times. 

Three-way tag was also incredibly fun although I struggle to root for Mark Andrews these days. I can also do without seeing Wolfgang or any of the Coffies again, but that's just me. Grizzled Young Vets are fantastic and James Drake in particular looks brilliant.

7 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I finally watched WALTER vs Bate last night. Really good match that was marred by the typically annoying crowd. Not just the chants ("Fight Forever", "Are You Watching Vince McMahon?" and "Mama Mia!" can get in the bin) but there was this one arsehole in the front row who WOULD NOT SIT THE FUCK DOWN. I found him so irrationally frustrating that he took me out of the match several times.

Three-way tag was also incredibly fun although I struggle to root for Mark Andrews these days. I can also do without seeing Wolfgang or any of the Coffies again, but that's just me. Grizzled Young Vets are fantastic and James Drake in particular looks brilliant.

Front row back to camera? Don’t worry, he was like that all night.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I like Ohno's schtick in this regard, but it does annoy me that once the bell rings, he wrestles the same standard WWE-2019-style match as everyone else.

• Paid Members
Just now, HarmonicGenerator said:

I like Ohno's schtick in this regard, but it does annoy me that once the bell rings, he wrestles the same standard WWE-2019-style match as everyone else.

Well, he's the same guy who calls himself a "Knockout Artist" then proceeds to throw two dozen strikes, none of them knocking anyone out, so what do you expect?

• Paid Members

I liked this week's episode as a breezy 35-minute, 2 match affair.

With 'main' NXT going to 2 hours soon, I feel I'll be much more likely to stick with watching UK weekly if it was to retain a 30-45 minute format. Would help with the irregular taping schedule & "matches for matches' sake" feel too.

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

I'm quite enjoying the storyline of Alexander Wolfe and Ilja Dragunov at the moment, of Wolfe looking very much like he's scouting Dragunov for a spot in Imperium. I'd be happy with either outcome (he joins, or he fights them) but I'm intrigued to see where it'll go.