WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

I'd guess it'd be possible for Matt Richards to stay back then you have someone fill in for Jon Briley but yeah it's probably going to have to move (which has happened before). I do question how long it'll be before Progress shuts its doors (at least in its current guise). I mean WWE even seem to be signing up folk from the newest generation coming through - Pretty Deadly, Dani Luna, Candyfloss. You just need them to get OJMO and Cara Noir and you're pretty much at the point where you either get lent talent regularly (guaranteed) or you downgrade regular chapter venues. 

Comparatively, Rev Pro seem to have a really sweet deal with NJPW and ROH. I do prefer the storytelling style of Progress but I do think we're reaching the point where it's basically Riptide in a bigger venue. 

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members

Have Progress even done that much "storytelling" lately? I'm out of the loop, but everyone I know that still attends their shows complains that the story side of it has been atrocious to non-existent for a while now.

It's fairly common knowledge that WWE have a buy-out clause with Progress, and I think Progress' top brass have naively assumed that if and when WWE take advantage of that, they'll be kept on-board as part of the machine. It'll be a rude awakening for them when WWE does away with Progress and sacks them off too.

Honestly, I thought Progress would likely finish up at Chapter 100, and I'm surprised they're still going as a sort of NXT UK feeder group.

It's so short-sighted of WWE to be signing up really young talent like Candyfloss et al, because they generally recognise the importance of letting wrestlers find their feet elsewhere, and develop through working a variety of styles and promotions. I think it makes it clear that the majority of the very young wrestlers they're signing for the UK brand, they have no hopes of ever actually making stars, they just want them off the market. What's always very telling is when the kids of WWE's own producers, talent scouts etc. start wrestling, you don't often see them signed up to WWE while they're still inexperienced - Dave Finlay Jr isn't at the Performance Centre, Regal's kid isn't being pulled from bookings to stand around in a branded tracksuit. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, AVM said:

but I do think we're reaching the point where it's basically Riptide in a bigger venue. 

I think that is doing Riptide a disservice, some of their long term storytelling over the past few years has been superb, and Progress would be lucky to be doing such good work. 

7 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I think that is doing Riptide a disservice, some of their long term storytelling over the past few years has been superb, and Progress would be lucky to be doing such good work. 

The storytelling is alright TBF, Riptide is a solid entertaining promotion, it was more the name power of Progress' bookings now. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Why?

Long answer - because someone finishing work at 5-6pm is going to struggle to get to the venue for 7pm bell-time, even if we assume that person already lives in central London, rather than (as many people do for PROGRESS) travelling from out of town. Most people would want to fit in getting something to eat, or changing out of their work clothes, rather than rushing straight from work to the venue. Assuming the show starts on time (which is a big If), you're looking at a 10pm finish. Factor in trains/transport home, again especially for out-of-towners, it's a late one for a Monday night. 

Say maybe you live in Plymouth (to pick a UK city at random) and fancy going to London for the wrestling. Except to get the train there in time, you'd probably have to set off mid-afternoon, so you're taking a half day to a day off work. And then the last train back is probably around 9pm, so you're either missing half the show, or staying overnight - so that's either an extremely early start the next day, or taking another day off. 

Short answer - for the same reason you don't see anyone else organising events on a Monday night.

(I do admittedly obsess over travel times etc. for this kind of thing, because that's my experience of events)

Edited by BomberPat

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

7pm on a Monday is a bonkers time for a wrestling show. Curious how well that does.

You're right Wrestling on a Monday Night will never work.

Someone should of told Vince that 27 years ago, could have saved him all this effort over the years.