WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Awards Moderator

Watched the WALTER-Dragunov match from this week. I’d got quite into WALTER last year thanks to his entrance and that stunner of a Bate match. But this was just silly. Not to come across all Bret Hart, but there’s no art in just smacking each other as hard as you can for half an hour. There wasn’t even the excuse of feeding off a crowd, they were doing it for an audience of precisely zero! I hope someone had a word backstage and reminded them it’s not real.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The more I see of WALTER the more I realise he's just not very good. His great look and entrances covers it and it's clear he has talent but he basically wrestles an indyriffic high spot style with stiff chops/boots in place of flips.

I’ll be honest, even when I was going to Progress regularly, I didn’t get it. I’d never mention it to others but I just saw a big guy hitting hard and any attempts at telling a story usually dependent on the guy selling for him. I only ever cared about his match when he was fighting someone I really liked like Bate or Riddle. And they never beat him. Yawn.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

The only reason today's wrestlers actually hit each other is because nobody wants to sell and look silly. It's ego combined with the fact nobody today can throw a good worked punch. Love of the biz, my arse.

I think wrestling schools need to remind trainees that it’s a work. Celebrate how real someone can make a punch look without actually making contact, not celebrate how many chops some pigeon-chested teenager can take before walking away with a chest full of welts like a badge of honour.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:23 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Watched the WALTER-Dragunov match from this week. I’d got quite into WALTER last year thanks to his entrance and that stunner of a Bate match. But this was just silly. Not to come across all Bret Hart, but there’s no art in just smacking each other as hard as you can for half an hour. There wasn’t even the excuse of feeding off a crowd, they were doing it for an audience of precisely zero! I hope someone had a word backstage and reminded them it’s not real.

Completely agree. I just watched it and winced throughout. Slap, slap, kick, German Suplex, repeat. Unnecessarily stiff and nothing like what I'd call a pro wrestling match. The commentary was terrible as well- 'oh wow' every five seconds. I haven't seen much NXT UK, but the kick/kick/high spot style seems to be rife throughout the UK scene generally. 

That's the first NXT UK match I've seen in over a year and thought it was pretty decent.

I get what others have said about the endless slaps etc. For some reason it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

Heck even Jim Cornette liked it!

• Paid Members

I caught the second half of an episode of NXT UK on BT Sport this morning while I was channel hopping. I love the idea if that heritage trophy. The format is nice. Might try and tune in for Dave Mastiff Vs Trent Seven next week. Definitely need to find that Walter match online, heck I might even sign into the network. The "suitable for daytime TV" edits were odd though. They cut a headbutt during a segment with Piper Niven and Jinny, then they edit Dar kicking A-Kid in the chest outside the ring, but leave the same move in when it's done inside the ring. 

On 11/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, Your Fight Site said:

I think wrestling schools need to remind trainees that it’s a work. Celebrate how real someone can make a punch look without actually making contact, not celebrate how many chops some pigeon-chested teenager can take before walking away with a chest full of welts like a badge of honour.

What do you make of NJPW? Those guys hammer each other w unnecessarily hard shots. 

I don't mind being a little snug w strikes as long as you aren't killing each other. Punches are notoriously hard to pull off without murdering someone or making it look shit. Which is why I always steered clear of them, using elbows instead. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
50 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

How long until McGuinnes dusts off his “used to fight in pubs” line.

The main event of this weeks show, Walter v A-Kid, is getting a lot of praise

The newly named Ed Harvey! At least for a hot minute. So please for him. I was classmates with his sister and he was in the year below. I still remember after going to my first ever show (Frontiers of Honor) that we all went back to his afterwards and he showed us some tapes of him training at the Dropkixx School. So happy he's made it to WWE.  

• Paid Members

The Ed Harvey bit was nonsense, though. Really abysmal booking with no discernible purpose. 

Good to see some more big lads on the brand, though.

In terms of good matches on NXT UK, Ben Carter's debut against Jordan Devlin last week was a great showcase for Ben.

43 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

In terms of good matches on NXT UK, Ben Carter's debut against Jordan Devlin last week was a great showcase for Ben.

I remembered to watch that last night after completely blanking on it. NXT UK's one of those things I really enjoy when I watch it but rarely remember to.

I've heard good things about Ben but not seen much at all, so I thought it was a pretty good introduction to him. Definitely has a lot of potential.

Will be interesting to see if any of the guys end up over on NXT eventually. Devlin especially. Not sure if he'll ever get to where he was before but time will tell.

I reckon they’ve got plans to send Devlin across when they’re able to, hence why he’s doing the “real cruiserweight champion” schtick.

Watching this week for the first time since Walter/Draganov, but Joe Coffey seems to have trimmed down quite a bit since I lost saw him. That Gallus theme is still fucking shit though. I’m not saying that everyone needs to come out to some generic metal, but that theme is such an ill fit