WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

They have sent guys from uk across already, so don’t see anything stopping Devlin going if they wanted to. Probably happy to leave the stink of his allegations on a show no one is watching that have it coming up on normal NXT discussions online 

Unfortunately for Sha he has a character and gimmick that only works with the UK audience and would just fall flat and go over the main American audiences head so I can't see him going any further than NXT-UK but good for him, He's been working extremely hard for many years.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Unfortunately for Sha he has a character and gimmick that only works with the UK audience and would just fall flat and go over the main American audiences head so I can't see him going any further than NXT-UK but good for him, He's been working extremely hard for many years.

He’s not exactly Captain Brexit. Of course a hard man gimmick can get over anywhere. 

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

He’s not exactly Captain Brexit. Of course a hard man gimmick can get over anywhere. 

haha no I'm not insinuating he is but he typically plays the cockney hard man and a lot of his "HEAT" does come from a more regional stance. Maybe it will get over and I know nothing but I just can't see that gimmick being a huge hit over on say main NXT tv

• Paid Members

as much as NXT and NXT:UK have both fallen into the pattern of "you'll always be who you always were" rather than substantially repackaging people, that doesn't mean that someone like Sha Samuels in NXT have to be the same Sha Samuels he was in RevPro or IPW or wherever - he's more than good enough to tweak the character to something more fitting if they want him to.

Jordan Devlin will definitely end up in NXT proper in some capacity, even if just to tidy up the "Interim Champion" situation. That story has probably given him more longevity than if he hadn't all but lucked into that position. Ben Carter, too, will end up in NXT proper once his visa issues are settled, as he has no ties to the UK scene and WWE have high hopes for him.

My worry with Ben, going back to the lack of meaningful character development in NXT and NXT UK, is that I don't think he really knows who he is yet. I don't think he could tell you who Ben Carter is as a character, in terms of what his USP is. I certainly couldn't. So his promos can be very generic, and some of the more performance-based aspects of his work can come across a little too much as "playing wrestler", and I'm not sure NXT UK is the best place for him to find that missing piece of the puzzle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

What's her actual role? I'm assuming it's more than just wrestler.

"Player coach", so training and wrestling. Given that she was floated as the head of NXT Japan when that was being considered, I wonder if they're effectively trialling her/coaching her on how a "Performance Center" is run ahead of launching the Japanese version.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

What degree of conman d'you have to be to sell someone on moving from the US/Japan to Milton Keynes in February 2021 ? Has to be about a 9 on the Jim Bowen-O-Meter

Meiko absolutely loves the UK, and holds British wrestling in really high esteem. I'd have thought she'd have changed her mind by now after the amount of time she's spent in Wolverhampton, but apparently not.

She's based in London at the moment, but I don't know if that's a permanent fixture. Obviously the pandemic throws things out, but given that NXT UK tends to do block tapings and week or fortnight long stints at the Performance Center rather than a regular touring schedule, they may allow Meiko to divide her time between the UK and Japan in future.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

What degree of conman d'you have to be to sell someone on moving from the US/Japan to Milton Keynes in February 2021 ? Has to be about a 9 on the Jim Bowen-O-Meter

Reminded me of when I was in Vegas on a stag do and got chatting to a stripper. She was telling me that Monday to Thursday she lived in a condo in Santa Monica before travelling to Vegas for Fri-Sunday to do 3 days work for the week. She said she was planning to move to the UK with her fiance. 

"Oh yeah, where abouts?" I enquired.

She replied "Somewhere called Staines".

Luckily I was sober so didn't tell her that Staines is somewhat less exciting than Santa Monica beach and Las Vegas. 

But yeah, I used to have to travel to Milton Keynes regularly for work and it's probably one of the more boring places I've been to.