WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

32 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The problem - and I say this as someone who's known Ben since he was 16 - I don't know who Nelson Frazer is, nor did I really know who Ben Carter was. He was the epitome of a "happy to be here" babyface. That's exactly who he is in real life, but it's not the most compelling wrestling gimmick. If Nelson Frazer was a step toward showing a bit more character, it would make sense, but as it is, it seems pointless.

It's something that WWE just do because they know the audience know they'll sometimes change wrestler's names (my understanding is that he's dropped "Carter" because there's already a Carter in NXT proper, and he's US-bound eventually), so they may as well just get on with it. But doing it after he's already debuted and not bothering to explain it because "eh, fans already get it" is lazy, even by NXT UK standards. 

There's already a Carter in NXT UK is as likely the reason.

It's not just an NXT UK thing, it happens in NXT (US) often.   Damian Priest had 1 match as Punishment Martinez, then comes out a few weeks later, same gimmick, different name, no explanation.   That's a recent example, but it happens there too.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The problem - and I say this as someone who's known Ben since he was 16 - I don't know who Nelson Frazer is, nor did I really know who Ben Carter was. He was the epitome of a "happy to be here" babyface. That's exactly who he is in real life, but it's not the most compelling wrestling gimmick. If Nelson Frazer was a step toward showing a bit more character, it would make sense, but as it is, it seems pointless.

What do you think would work for him? 

Based purely on his AEW stuff, I think he could make for a great wide-eyed idealist. Someone who has grown up on wrestling, possibly from a deprived background, who has given it his all and has genuine talent. His size alone is a stumbling block - lots of sympathy when he gets beaten down, bullied, etc - but he overcomes it with his enthusiasm and belief. His belief that he's destined to main event Wrestlemania one day is something others mainly find amusing, but he's genuinely going to put everything into getting there. Kind of Billy Elliott meets Shouyou from 'Haikyuu!!'. 

• Awards Moderator
51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

(my understanding is that he's dropped "Carter" because there's already a Carter in NXT proper, and he's US-bound eventually)

I was going to ask if that's still something WWE are worried about, because it's felt like there are loads of people with the same names lately... but having looked at it, it's mostly first names that are shared. Apart from Carter... which before this name change, there were three of. Kayden Carter in NXT, Oliver Carter in NXT UK and then Ben Carter as well. Not sure why they needed to change Ben to Nathan but I can understand changing the surname. The only other repetition they have right now is Keith Lee and Wes Lee and Xia Li. Better than AEW with their two Pages and their two Cages and Orange Cassidy and Isiah Kassidy.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

I've long since lost track of NXT UK, but I've just been on WWE.com and at some point in the last few months Meiko Satomura won the UK Women's Title. Never thought when I was watching her little ad videos on the Wrestling Channel that she'd hold a WWE belt in 2021. Have they done a Takeover recently or was that just something I might have seen if I'd been on the Channel 5 streaming app?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

If she did, it’s only because she thinks Bea will be helping her with a new car.

She runs a theatre group. Will acted there apparently and his promos are equally shit. It doesn’t look good for Sue Ospreay! I hope she doesn’t drive said car down to the ring.