WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Awards Moderator

Imperium are just about the only thing worth watching on this show. There is a cracking closing brawl involving them this week which is the only time the show fully got my attention. Then the bastard episode finishes just as they start fighting! You’re on the Network, you’re not out of time! I’ve sat through every week of NXT UK, let me see them fight!

• 1 month later...

I dipped back into this after the announcement of Takeover. All I’ve taken from the last couple of episodes is that Toni Storm is still fucking awful and the prominent member of the crowd has been Tommy Cannon

I’m sure Takeover will be a decent show as has been the case with the two previous, but they happen too few and far between to warrant watching the TV on a regular basis 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

Managed to get caught up with the shows in preparation for Takeover (though I’ll probably not get to see it til tomorrow). As usual they’ve put a good card together and I’m sure it’ll be a good show. Can’t say I’m too fussed about who wins any of the matches but I’d quite like Imperium to come away with the tag belts.

• Paid Members

It wasn’t as good as the spectacular Tyler Bate vs. Walter one, but the Prime Target special for today’s Takeover was still really good. The amount of national television time they have to fill on a weekly basis, I’ll never understand why Jeremy Borash is being wasted making stuff this good for a brand hardly anyone is watching regularly. 

Great show overall. Bate and Devlin was phenomenal as was the Ladder match. Bate has to be top 5 best in the world in ring currently.  Dennis and Trent was better than expected. The Women’s Triple Threat was okay. I enjoyed the main event but I think it was hurt by the fact that no one really bought that Coffey was going to win. Too many near falls for my liking. Good ending with Undisputed Era setting up Worlds Collide. 

It’s difficult to see what they do next with Walter because there aren’t many legit threats on NXT UK. They could rush into doing him and Bate again I suppose. Maybe Dragunov/Walter. The Takeovers are always great it’s a pity the weekly shows are so missable. 

Just wanted to say the person who made the call to give Eddie Dennis the haunting, sinister music befitting of a Jason Vorhees esque character needs putting in the bin. He's possibly the least intimidating man in the world. I couldn't take anything in that match seriously after seeing him amble out to that.

Everything else ranged from shit to pretty decent. Nothing was particularly excellent in my eyes. Devlin/Bate was obviously the closest to reach that benchmark, but as impressive as their work was in terms of moves and athletic prowess, it was lacking big time in any sense of a story, or emotional investment, or interest. Not so much their fault as the fault of this creative team for being the shits. 

Speaking of creative, you can tell Jim Smallman's been brought in haven't you? Hope the female division gets used to that 2nd match on the card slot!

Their triple threat was pretty dull barring the last five minutes, with a standard "heel steals the win" finish. I appreciate them keeping the belt on Kay Lee Ray though, she's easily my favourite out of the three involved. Everyone worked hard in the ladder match, but it was so...boring? I genuinely can't conjure anything else to sum up that match other than boring. Overly-complicated setups which went nowhere, some spots ranging from sloppy to completely blown, nobody giving a shit about the Gallus lads winning. Thought the main event was quite shit as well. Joe Coffey, whilst being a perfectly capable wrestler is certainly not capable of delivering in these main event slots. Fundamentally, there was nothing wrong with the match, but it never ever hit a high level that you'd associate with a Takeover main event. The booking here was awful as well, from both men getting a visual three, to the over-reliance once again of "heel needs help from stable to win" despite it being fucking WALTER, even the show-closing of having the Undisputed Era lads coming in and getting the biggest pop of the night by a large margin. 

That'll show them who you think the proper stars are, lads.

21 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

It’s difficult to see what they do next with Walter because there aren’t many legit threats on NXT UK.

Maybe Dragunov/Walter. 

I was at the Hull tapings and honestly thought Dragunov would be the next challenger instead of Coffey.
He is charismatic as fuck and him v Walter will be one hell of a scrap. I reckon he'll be the next challenger.

10 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Just wanted to say the person who made the call to give Eddie Dennis the haunting, sinister music befitting of a Jason Vorhees esque character needs putting in the bin. He's possibly the least intimidating man in the world. 

I'm still going with Jimmy Havoc for that title.

One other note - Trent Seven looks like shit. Not quite Kassius Ohno shit but close.

3 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I was at the Hull tapings and honestly thought Dragunov would be the next challenger instead of Coffey.
He is charismatic as fuck and him v Walter will be one hell of a scrap. I reckon he'll be the next challenger.

I'm still going with Jimmy Havoc for that title.

One other note - Trent Seven looks like shit. Not quite Kassius Ohno shit but close.

I'll accept Jimmy Havoc.

At least he's making some sort of effort though. The whole entrance get-up, his mask and what have you. Yeah, he looks like a dickhead, but he's giving it a crack. Even his name! If you've no idea what he looks like, but hear his name, at least the idea's in your head that he's somewhat menacing. Nobody in the world is doing that when they hear Dennis' music, and hear the ring announcer go "IT'S EDDIE!".

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

I'll accept Jimmy Havoc.

At least he's making some sort of effort though. The whole entrance get-up, his mask and what have you. Yeah, he looks like a dickhead, but he's giving it a crack. Even his name! If you've no idea what he looks like, but hear his name, at least the idea's in your head that he's somewhat menacing. Nobody in the world is doing that when they hear Dennis' music, and hear the ring announcer go "IT'S EDDIE!".

Maybe it'll grow on us... I mean I remember 'Big Daddy Cool, Diesel' becoming Kevin Nash in WCW and going 'Shit, nobody's going to think anyone called Kevin is cool' but, hey, he proved us wrong...

Devlin/Bate was a good match which turned into a Big Move Kick Out fest for the last 10 minutes which turned me off completely, I’m sure if Bate was powerbombed off the earth they’d book him to kick out.

Same with Seven, that Razors Edge over the top rope should have been the finish. 

I thought it was a great show, enjoyed every match. But the feeling I had at the end was that Devlin needed the win way more that Bate did.

Tyler Bate has had a good run with the UK Title and also unsuccessfully challenged for it at the last UK Takeover.

Compare that to Jordan Devlin who is in the form of his life and seemingly ready for a big push on this brand, but he lost.