WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

Prime Target is the absolute best thing they've done in ages. Astonishing that the company that has the same stilted, awkward backstage camera work, just long enough to be uncomfortable delays between cuts, Kevin Dunn production, and the same presentation they've been coasting on for 20 years, can produce something that feels that fresh, and that sincere.

It does such a great job of showing the contrast between the two men - Tyler Bate has always wanted to be a wrestler, whereas to WALTER it just seems like an extension of being a man. Tyler stands by his mates above all else, WALTER only cares about competition. Early on, you almost find yourself agreeing with WALTER a few times, because he's putting across his point of view, and not relying on overblown heel tropes. But the longer it goes on, the more of a villain he becomes, and the more Tyler becomes a plucky underdog, until it's full on Rocky vs. Drago. Wonderful stuff.

It’s a really good product. I’d also had very little interest in Tyler vs Walter prior to this. A WWE documentary shot in a back garden in Dudley is such a novelty as well.

I wonder whether we’ll see any of the Walter Youth make it to WWE. The Israeli guy looked very earnest and sympathetic (not to Labour Party members, of course). And the zealot guy with the eyebrows was good value.

Great show overall.
Don't watch NXT UK so had no expectations but figured I'd order a takeaway and watch this show.
Glad I did as I honestly thought it was excellent from top to bottom.
I bet Joe Coffey will be finding it difficult to get out of bed tomorrow with some of the EVIL shots he took to the back from the cricket bat and chairs. 
WALTER is the real deal. He looks legit and, were he so inclined, could have a great career in Japan or the USA [I know he's NOT inclined - just saying were he ever to change his mind].

I haven't caught much NXT UK but tuned in from the tag match tonight. Even without following every week, the storytelling in that Bate/WALTER match was incredible. Bate kicking out at 1 actually had me jump up off the couch. Absolutely superb from both guys.

• Paid Members

It beggars belief how good Tyler Bate is at such a young age. He's got to be the best babyface in the business. I lived and died with everything he did in that home stretch. The kick out at one near the end is up there for spot of the year. Great, great main event.

If I was a kid watching all this, I reckon me and my mates would be chatting about who'd win in a fight between Brock Lesnar and Walter and I'd probably pick Walter. They've got to make that match at some point, surely?

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator

Good show!

I don’t know if Dar-Banks would have been my opener (I do like Takeovers starting with a tag match) but it was a good match.

Dragunov was elevated by being in there with Cesaro, who I wouldn’t mind hanging around NXT UK a bit longer. Cesaro vs WALTER or a team up with Ohno would both be nice.

Tag Title match was lots of fun with the right winners. Don’t know if Gallus needed to be in there though.

Mastiff and Coffey had a great plunder match, really fun. Those cricket bat shots!

Right result in the women’s match as well, I think. I haven’t been into Storm as champion, I think she’s better as the chaser or challenger, so now she can be again.

Main event was excellent. That’s about all I have to say - excellent! 

I don’t know if anyone else had issues with the Network though. Buffering, crashing, image speeding up, the ‘skip 10 seconds’ button taking you backwards 40 minutes...

The third show I managed to watch, so it had a lot of good matches to follow, but pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the majority of that was. Everyone seemed motivated and determined to put on a good shift on a competitive night. Everything was decent and build perfectly to a crescendo with that main event. Bloody hell. That's what a main event should be.

The only other time I've watched NXT UK was when Pete Dunne took on Walter. Only based on people on here saying the build up shows were excellently produced, I randomly put on the Tyler Bate/Walter main event to pass some time. It was a bit longer than expected! As mentioned already in here, wow even with not knowing the full story, they kept you invested. Bate is an absolute machine and I was about to say he's gonna struggle in the WWE machine at that size but, if he happens to be Daniel Bryan-type size, who knows huh? He may not be anything special on the mic at such a young age but Bryan wasn't known for that either until he started being outlandish with Kane in WWE. Good luck to him, he's impressive as hell.