Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Fuck Wesley. Didn't even deserve to be the stand-in in the first place.

It's madness - why not give it to one of the other best runners up? He's done nothing. 

Had everyone else just fucked off home and big Wes, being a consummate worker knew enough to hang out backstage with his gear, just in case?

Interesting to see some of the female Gladiators display some heel tendencies this week. Sabre could be a good baddie going forward.

Don't turn Fury though, she's far too wholesome!

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members

Contrary to others, I was well behind wrestler Wes from the start despite him entering the quarters as an alternate - I don't think you can worry too much about the competitive integrity of the show when hitherto uberface Sabre gets a gentle prod from a contender, responds in a sarky manner then shockingly gets herself intentionally DQ'd from the other contender's go at the game. (There's been some hints of work on occasion since the bloke they were trying to set up as top heel just so happened to go rogue & get himself thrown out of the swingy bridge game in week 1)

But I was extra behind Wes when solider boy decided to wuss out of the actual Gladiators bit of Gladiators and bet on the fact he's basically a professional obstacle course completer. Genuinely punched the air when Wes pipped him to the post. (As I imagine did family friendly promoters around the country who are already dreaming of putting "Winner of BBC's Gladiators" on posters). 

Final takeaway from this week is that Mark Clattenburg must have zero rhythm. Finds it impossible to count down from 3 in time with the beeps. 

1 hour ago, Statto said:

Finds it impossible to count down from 3 in time with the beeps. 

This is doing my fucking head in!  It's on the screen right in front of you, Clattenburg, just read the fucking 20 foot high numbers out.

Glad Soldier Boy didn't get through, he had annoyingly perfect teeth and was generally super bland.  Discount Booker T gets the program at least.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Statto said:

(As I imagine did family friendly promoters around the country who are already dreaming of putting "Winner of BBC's Gladiators" on posters). 

The flipside of that is I found myself saying, "he'll be putting up his asking price, then"

• Paid Members

Did I spot Martin Kirby in Wesley's introductory VT? That ring he was wrestling in was tiny as well. I was a bit confused that he just got parachuted into the quarter finals at random, but going by his performance in some of the games I reckon he would probably have walked it in the heats. I wonder whether he was booked to be a Gladiator but they had enough.

Diamond was a little heelish the other week after she took somebody's shoe but failed to catch the contender on The Wall. She threw it away and stormed off. I agree with Fury being a perennial babyface.

That ladies' Eliminator was a cracker. He did well to catch up in the men's, but didn't deserve it for pussing out of the Gauntlet.

• Paid Members

Add me the list of folk baffled why the next fastest runner up didn’t make it through, that just seemed really odd.

Really enjoyed this week’s show, and whilst it’s great entertainment when the Gladiators go rogue, it’s not exactly fair when they play against the rules with only one of the contestants.

I’d also picked up on the off-time 3-2-1 count, but just assumed it was something caught up in the post production sound edit. On Dual, especially, it often looks like a false start where a blow is landed before the game has officially started.

I hate to say it, but Legend is growing on me, mainly because he’s growing into his smug prick role more and more each week.

On Edge, I’d like to see the Gladiators take a bit more of a risk and just dive at the contestants. I know it’s easy for me saying that sitting watching at home, but they often just seem to slowly shuffle about whilst the contestants skip past them. A Monty Brown-style pounce would be quite the spectacle.

For series 2, I’d like to see Barney given his papers replaced with someone far more capable. Bradley’s actually quite a decent host and suits the show well, so happy to see him stay.

Assuming they refresh the line up for series 2, I think I’d bin off Apollo and Athena who have done very little of note and frankly just don’t look the part.

I’d also hope the crowds might seem a bit more into the Gladiators, given they’ll now know who they are and would have decided on their favourites. When they do focus on a sign in the crowd, they’re normally a bit shit and likely chosen as there isn’t another one to pick from.

But I’m still tuning in each Saturday, still really enjoying it and the novelty hasn’t worn off.

Edited by Scratch