Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members

Aside from Giant bossing the Duel, the gladiators' performances have been pretty underwhelming across the board so far. So it was pretty cool to see Bionic absolutely smashing the fuck out of someone tonight. More of him, please.

• Paid Members

I thought for a second that when Legend pushed that bloke off he was going to miss the net. 

A couple of the gladiators are pretty good, but none of them seem to have that same fear factor (wrong show) that the 90s ones did. They did characters better as well. Although the ones that aren't playing characters are great sports. 

Fire doing a Hadouken as her posé is funny. 

Bionic smashing it in Gauntlet then cutting that promo afterwards was probably the best heel work so far. 

That men's event was so close, and it was a heck of an Eliminator. 

On 1/25/2024 at 1:02 PM, westlondonmist said:

One of the gladiators basically humping the contestant for 10 seconds on hang tough was strange.  

That was bizarre. It was like she couldn’t understand how the contestant was holding on, then realised she was still holding on to her own rings, so wasn’t actually putting any weight on the contestant…

I thought the gladiators gave the male contestants a pretty easy ride yesterday. Definitely feels like they are trying to give them more of a chance than the original series. No one gave that memo to the bloke in gauntlet tho…lol

As mentioned, the eliminator already looks a bit sparse and underwhelming, but the amount they keep slowing down the travelator really isn’t helping. It’ll be pulling them up the slope soon

11 minutes ago, TibBo said:

That was bizarre. It was like she couldn’t understand how the contestant was holding on, then realised she was still holding on to her own rings, so wasn’t actually putting any weight on the contestant…

I thought the gladiators gave the male contestants a pretty easy ride yesterday. Definitely feels like they are trying to give them more of a chance than the original series. No one gave that memo to the bloke in gauntlet tho…lol

As mentioned, the eliminator already looks a bit sparse and underwhelming, but the amount they keep slowing down the travelator really isn’t helping. It’ll be pulling them up the slope soon

I have no problem with them slowing the travelator if nobody is completing it or someone has lost but they want to give them some dignity. 

I watched this with some children I had stolen for the evening*, and they loved the Viper bits.  It was really interesting their reactions to the whole thing, having never seen it before - they thought that the competition was between the Gladiators and the contestants, so were often picking the Gladiators to win the events.  They thought Giant's back wings were disgusting.  Their favourite Gladiator was Fury (the deaf one).  And they totally bought Viper as evil.

The winner of the female pair-off could be an eventual winner of the series, I thought - she smoked most of the Gladiators in the events.  I do think they chose a lot of the Gladiators due to their muscled look, and have now realised that they're not much cop and climbing ropes or running after people, whereas the contestants are smaller, lighter and faster.  

*babysitting

I've watched most of the 3rd episode, a good episode so far. Gauntlet had been shit until this one, even the bloke who got through it got a bit of a beating and had to work. The second guy though, he knocks him sideways and keeps on doing it. The women still seemed to breeze past it, it's definitely an event where being small and fast to get through is ad advantage. 

Edge was better this week too, the Gladiators seemed lost on it previously but this time they were doing proper tackles on them and knocking everyone off. The only time it had been interesting before was when the Gladiator falls off and the contestant just danced thinking that got her full points. 

I don't mind Viper, he plays the heel similar to how you see at family wrestling shows and also how you would often see in 80s early 90s wrestling. He took a cheap shot, but then lost. Definitely one for the kids, but it's a family show and it's needed. He's no Wolf but Wolf was classic. Legend is funnier but it's good they have different types of bad guys. Legend is the smarmy twat, Viper is unsportsmanlike and Bionic just a bit of a nob (his head is too small for his body). I think the women's side needs more of a defined bad guy. Nitro and Fury seem like the good guys of the show and I can imagine Giant and Sabre being fairly popular with kids too. 

“Well fuck me, we’ve got a hit on our hands.  For the first time in years, millions of families are tuning into BBC1 to watch live tv together.  It’s the renaissance of Saturday night entertainment we always wanted”

” It’s week three, how do we keep the momentum up?”

”I know, let’s pre empt it in favour of Rugby, and put it on later enough that an important part of our audience will be getting put to bed by the other important part of our audience”.

” But we’ve got two HD channels, can’t we put the rugby on BBC2?”

” And not show “Wilderness with Simon Reeve?  Are you mad??”