Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

This theme tune gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. I was pleased to notice them using it on the adverts for the latest revival of the show, which aired its first episode tonight and, sure enough, it's the classic song from 1992 being used again.

Gladiators is a format that seems to have significant value compared to many other 90s Saturday night formats. It's been broadcast across ITV, Sky and now the BBC, probably owing to the simple yet effective nature of the show. For me, what gives it its global appeal is that it's about as 'pro wrestling' as a game show can get - a sentiment only aided by the likes of Mason Ryan, Nick Aldis and even Hulk Hogan across the pond being involved in its various different versions. The contenders are the plucky faces, fighting from below to try and get on top, drawing you in as they get smashed to the floor with giant cotton buds, resulting in you willing them to throw coloured balls into hoops and run up escalators to reach their goal. That's before you even mention the likes of John 'FERST HWISTLE' Anderson and classic heel Wolf, a character so charismatic that the Americans stole his gimmick for their revival in 2008.

As a kid, I loved watching with my sister on the TV in the spare room, so it was a nostalgic experience sitting down to watch it with my own children this evening. Sure enough, from a brief glimpse of the general reaction, it seems this latest version has found an audience too and hopefully this can lead to more series down the line. 

Oh, and since this is the UKFF I assume I am probably obliged to mention Jet at some point. There was a significant lack of cartwheels on the updated version.

Thoughts on Gladiators? We can go brand new or classic, just don't mention John Fashanu.

• Paid Members

Matt Morgan was an American Gladiator as well. Would it be possible to transfer the Gladiators related chat into this thread somehow? I used to love watching this back in the day. One of my friends used to work with series 1 champion Eunice Huthart at Debenham's when she presumably got too old to be a stunt lady any more. 

They new BBC version gets some of it right, but other bits so wrong. 

Any opportunity.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:23 PM, SuperBacon said:

This reminds that I was at Alton Towers when something or other opened (early 90s) and Warrior and Rhino were there to open it, and they were on a ride (forget the name of it, but it was sort of like pirates galleon or magic carpet which goes back and forth etc) and we all had our hands up and were screaming at Rhino to put his hands up, and he wouldn't, and we wouldn't stop so he shouted "I don't fucking want to alright!!!" which my Dad thought was hilarious.

Then we all sort of ran after him doing that "uuuuurrrrrrrgh" thing kids did when you know someone is annoyed, until someone told us to stop.

This thread should be in the MMA section surely? ;)

Really enjoyed this, not a lot of flab, mainly action.  The phrase “death by snu snu” came to mind as well with a couple of the female Gladiators, they’ve cast some impressive looking athletes in this reboot generally both male and female.  

Legend is a rubbish heel though, he has no promo skills.

“The Ring” is basically amateur wrestling, which made for an entertaining round with a suplex and a number of MMA takedowns even.

Fun show I though although the Walshes were rubbish.

Ludvig Borga was a Finnish Gladiator too.

I'm of the age where I picked up the original series just as I was "growing out" of wrestling (that didn't last long) but was still young enough to have turned my best mate's entire house into an Eliminator assault course that culminated in running up the stairs while his brother threw things at us in lieu of a travelator.

Went to see one of the new ones filmed in Sheffield last June and it was a ton of fun. Despite taking seven hours to film one episode, I was still fascinated at the small army of people dragging the events into place, testing the smoke and flying the drone about.

Fortunately they haven't strayed too far from the old format, and it feels like it's never been away from the intro music to the camera angles.

The Walshes are an odd choice though and are the only backfire. No idea why they didn't stick with the tried and tested format of female broadcaster and useless male sportsman. I can only assume Jermaine Jenas was busy.

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think they've almost nailed the production here, yeah there are a tonne of LED screens but it's all lit right.

Did anyone ever collect these figures? They look like shit wrestling knock offs you'd find.

spacer.png

Absolutely I did! I’ll still have them somewhere along with a Gladiators annual. The backpack, soundtrack cassette and foam hand I got at an International Gladiators taping are sadly all long lost though.

I enjoyed the new episode tonight, it felt like it had the spirit of the original show, and was loads more fun than the soulless Sky One reboot.

• Paid Members

Has anyone seen Walsh Jr and F1's George Russell when he's got a floppy haircut in the same room?  The presenting wasn't so bad that it spoiled the experience, but it was a weaker aspect of the show.

Overall, I loved it.  100% sold on it.  If I'd had smiley potato faces for my tea you could have told me I'd slipped back in time to 1992.

The Glads are toned and trained, but they're not as freakish as the likes of your Shadows and Warriors, so hopefully less cocaine and roid stories popping up in the tabloids.

It feels legit with the arena setting, unlike the cheapo Sky version done in a single studio.

The Glads' rags are ok, but not feeling iconic from the outset.  However, I thought the competitor gear was a considerable step up, so still a positive overall.

The games seemed to be played more fairly with some elements of safety in mind.  Not trying to pry fingers off in hang tough, Glads not kicking out on the bridge etc.  Refs were absolutely fine, I'm assuming everyone hears John Anderson in their head anyway.

Viper as the bad boy ala Wolf was a wet fart.  Poor imitation.  Wolf had mad charisma and intensity that enabled him to ham it up as the panto villain, but still seen credible that he would absolutely fuck you up.  I imagine that the producers wanted someone to be Wolf-like, but it's not even good enough to be Wolf-lite on the first viewing.  I hope the role either improves, or the tribute act is knocked on the head in subsequent episodes.  Like the presenting, it wasn't enough to stop my overall enjoyment, but it felt too forced and didn't click for me.  In fairness to the lad, it's probably hard to match the "intensity" of some of the 90s Glads without assistance.

A few niggles, with mainly positive changes.  I shall be tuning in for the duration.

57 minutes ago, s279 said:

I can only assume Jermaine Jenas was busy.

I know Gladiators isn't pretending to be live, but he was out in Mexico presenting Formula E on TNT tonight.  A bold decision to have half your broadcast team be new to the sport and just repeating what a lovely time they're having.

-----

My bedroom wall was essentially wallpapered with posters of Jet from the Gladiators magazine (as a teenager, my wife wouldn't allow it now :( ).  In my crates of CDs the original soundtrack must still be in there (what is it good for, absolutely nothing).

I also have a signed Jet photo kicking about that I obtained far more recently when she was life coaching and doing the convention circuit (which she may well still be doing).

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

My favourite bit of the new series is the 2D freezeframe thing they do for all the gladiators. It was impressively shit looking in a way I think they nailed.

It's rare and also brilliant when I can find a TV show my 7 year old and my missus both enjoy. Was great to have a bit of family TV back on. Anyone else struggle to find things for the whole family to watch?

And also I see some criticism of the Walsh's, I thought they were an odd choice going in and that Bradley especially would be out of place. However I honestly thought they were fine, they weren't stand out brilliant or anything but in no part did I think they dragged the show down. 

Fucking hell watched that Legend for years, he's got a YouTube channel called Matt Does Fitness, weird seeing him in the new role.

Steel aswell, Zack George, an absolute machine in the Crossfit world, strong as a bull and fit with it.

Edited by NeverYield

• Paid Members

I’m going to watch it later, but from the clips I’ve seen it looks just how I remember it. The costumes look worse, though.

I assume TV execs looked at the surprise success of things like Ninja Warrior and remembered there used to be something similar but better. Fair play I guess.

As @LEGIT mentioned, family TV is lacking and I know loads of friends with children who’ll be all over this as something “new”.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, s279 said:

female broadcaster and useless male sportsman. I can only assume Jermaine Jenas was busy.

Carol Kirkwood and Micah Richards.