Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

38 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I’ve just noticed that if you take the letters in ‘Legend’, remove some and replace them with others, it’s an anagram of Bellend 🤔

He's easily the worst Gladiator, how he got on the show is beyond me.

Actually, the standard amongst the new Gladiators is rather poor.

Completely disagree. He's the favourite in our household. You need the arrogant one for entertainment value. 

Missed last week's episode so this was the first one I've watched in full, bit underwhelming really.

Legends lack of character on screen considering I've always found him very charismatic on his own channel (Matt Does Fitness), different role i guess but he comes across quite awkward. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Completely disagree. He's the favourite in our household. You need the arrogant one for entertainment value. 

I agree with you, but he’s both bad at the games and bad at being the arrogant one. Wolf must be howling in his den at their attempt to reinvent the baddie.

Yeah, they’re both awful which takes away their heat.  Legend was better at the heeling this week though.

In the 90s they cycled out Gladiators that didn’t work and replaced them so I expect the same here.

I've watched both episodes now and I'm really enjoying it but something felt like it was missing on the new version and I couldn't figure out what until watching Duel and it dawned on me. The new event music is ominous, sort of like a heartbeat. Compare it to the original which sounds more like final boss music, like you'd hear it as Van Damme or Schwarzenegger are about to storm the big baddie's compound. 

Watch this clip of Shadow. The music makes the whole thing seem like a massive deal, like there's no way you're going to beat this giant but you're pumped up and want the contender to do well.

Somebody has dubbed the old music over the new show and fuck me, how much better is this.

That same YouTube channel has dubbed the original music on to the new Hang Tough and Eliminator and they're both so much better for it.

Edited by cobra_gordo

14 hours ago, Loki said:

Yeah, they’re both awful which takes away their heat.  Legend was better at the heeling this week though.

In the 90s they cycled out Gladiators that didn’t work and replaced them so I expect the same here.

Oh they’ll be doing some cycles alright.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Statto said:

@Your Fight Site, some further taping inside info if you please (and thank you for the last lot - I'd always wondered if they taped games in blocks or set up/tore down endlessly).

The Gladiator entrances where they come out and do their pose on the stage - do they actually do those each time? My suspicion is they've been taped once and edited into episodes as required. 

I can’t comment as I only went to the first day’s tapings (which for some reason was broadcast as the second episode that went out last night). The filming order was a bit over the place. When we got there, the arena was set up for Power Ball. The men and women played their games, then stagehands came in, took that stuff away and brought the stuff out for the next game. The two tall side panels either side of the entrance (which also double as The Wall) slid up and all of the equipment was behind there which was then pulled out by stagehands and people in forklifts and put into position. I think they filmed Duel second, and then decided they were going to film the opening titles, so the Duel stuff was put back, the pyro things put in place and they had drones fly backwards and forwards a couple of times. Then Bradley and Barney did some pieces to camera before getting back on with games.

To answer the original point, yeah, the Gladiators did their little poses and whatnot when coming out for their games. If I had to guess, they’d probably do those each day, if only for the benefit of the live crowd, as would be a bit unfair if they just nonchalantly walked out because “sorry, day 2 onwards crowd, we’ve already filmed their high energy entrances.”

We were also instructed to the do the “Another Bites The Dust” hand actions with the foam fingers with cameras whizzing around and told since we were the first day‘s crowd, these clips would be used for the entire series but again, without being at any of the subsequent tapings, you don’t know how much is just producer bullshit and don’t know if they just tell every night’s crowd, “Oh, you were amazing! We’ll definitely be using you across the series!”

We were amazed at how quickly the Eliminator was set up. I think the whole thing was in place in less than half an hour, but there were about 40 stagehands buzzing around like worker bees with forklifts and power tools and hoists and whatnot.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I've watched both episodes now and I'm really enjoying it but something felt like it was missing on the new version and I couldn't figure out what until watching Duel and it dawned on me. The new event music is ominous, sort of like a heartbeat. Compare it to the original which sounds more like final boss music, like you'd hear it as Van Damme or Schwarzenegger are about to storm the big baddie's compound. 

Watch this clip of Shadow. The music makes the whole thing seem like a massive deal, like there's no way you're going to beat this giant but you're pumped up and want the contender to do well.

Somebody has dubbed the old music over the new show and fuck me, how much better is this.

That same YouTube channel has dubbed the original music on to the new Hang Tough and Eliminator and they're both so much better for it.

I was gutted that they didn't have the same music for the games. They definitely add to the intensity of the games. Filming Duel from ground level makes it feel more intense as well. They look higher up.

I saw something as I was buying a certain redtop rag that shall not be named that the most important thing in the world happening is that Giant had been talking about taking his vitamins, to coin a Hoganism. Hopefully it's unfounded, or he was ill once and the Doctor prescribed steroids.

I agree with ht elack of a real heel amongst the lads, but I think it also took a while for those characters to emerge in the original series. Kudos to them for trying, but it does feel a bit forced. They need heel woman Gladiators as well, that'd be good. I also wish they'd used Phantom by Justice for Phantom the gladiator's music.

Still enjoying the show. I agree that Bradley and Barney are poor presenting choices. Lauren Layfield could have been a good choice to present. Is Melanie Sykes busy?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

5 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

To answer the original point, yeah, the Gladiators did their little poses and whatnot when coming out for their games. If I had to guess, they’d probably do those each day, if only for the benefit of the live crowd, as would be a bit unfair if they just nonchalantly walked out because “sorry, day 2 onwards crowd, we’ve already filmed their high energy entrances.”

Yeah they did the entrances in the one I went to too (one of the Quarter Finals).

The intention must have been to use them in the relevant episode because they had to redo one of the entrances, but I suppose they could have reused some if they came across better on camera.

Finally watched the first episode. I wanted to watch it with my son, he said it was bummy so I just watched it by myself.  My takes:

• I felt the men gave off a better face/heel dynamic. As a wrestling fan that probably matters more to me. I thought Finlay was a great underdog, not really arrogant, injured his kneed and still did the travelator first time. The women seemed to hug each other afterwards rather than brag. I want them to be dicks. 
  • One of the gladiators basically humping the contestant for 10 seconds on hang tough was strange.  
  • The gauntlet is a bit shit, just seemed an easy 10 points. 
  • Barny Walsh is shit. 

31 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:
  • The gauntlet is a bit shit, just seemed an easy 10 points. 

This was one of my main thoughts over the first two episodes. There's some really competitive games, some really tough ones and then there's gauntlet. And I don't remember it being as easy as it looks now. It feels like the old Gladiators were bigger and therefore could smack the contestants around more and pin them down etc, while these ones are getting evaded pretty damn quick.

Or maybe it was always shit. I'm not sure.

24 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

This was one of my main thoughts over the first two episodes. There's some really competitive games, some really tough ones and then there's gauntlet. And I don't remember it being as easy as it looks now. It feels like the old Gladiators were bigger and therefore could smack the contestants around more and pin them down etc, while these ones are getting evaded pretty damn quick.

Or maybe it was always shit. I'm not sure.

I think it was always a bit shit but the older one I think had more gladiators to get past, I could be wrong.