Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

Bradley Walsh's gimmick of pretending he's crying laughing at things that aren't funny nearly had me turning off.

Leg end. Get it? Like Legend. Leg end. Leg end. Leg end.

Fuck off.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I went to see the first episode recording in Sheffield back in June and it took an absolute age. Was there for over 8 hours.

I applied for free tickets via Applause Store I think it was. Got tickets, said to turn up at 13:00. Turned up, queued, queue started moving, got to front, only to be handed an actual ticket and told the recording actually starts in a couple of hours.

Grabbed some lunch and when we got admitted to the arena it was set up for Power Ball. We thought they would maybe filming one game per record but we saw the same two contestants film their entire episode and play six games. The speed at which the stagehands tore down and set up each game was amazing. But there was a lot of pausing, setting up cameras, recording the Walsh’s pieces to cameras and re-recording them, we were still there at gone 10 PM and after three trips for food and drinks. We left after the men’s Eliminator as we had pushed a restaurant booking back twice, the last tram was not long due, and we didn’t want to be fighting with however many thousand people for a tram when the show did end.

So a long day and did enjoy it, but hoped they the recordings got more streamlined on subsequent days.

I remember the 90s Gladiators women's division not being that much fun. They were essentially fitness models, contestants often bigger than the gladiators. It wasn't the uneven battle the mens was. it didn't seem like a feat beating the gladiators like it did in the men's. I saw a picture of the new Gladiators, the women are quite big, and I think will be more interesting.

37 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I remember the 90s Gladiators women's division not being that much fun. They were essentially fitness models, contestants often bigger than the gladiators. It wasn't the uneven battle the mens was. it didn't seem like a feat beating the gladiators like it did in the men's. I saw a picture of the new Gladiators, the women are quite big, and I think will be more interesting.

I'll be honest, my main takeaway from episode 1 was that the women had been hard done by as they seemed to have hired gym girls rather than women with any real physicality. I don't remember the 90s one well enough, but sounds like it could be the same again?

• Paid Members

We were giggling at some of the facts they had for the Gladiators. The one that could "lift the weight of a garden shed" or "run as fast as a car travelling 24mph" were so specific and weird. Why specifically a car? Surely it's anything that can go 24mph?
Wouldn't it depend what's in the shed?

Viper trying to be the big heel but then being nearly brought to tears cos the ref told him off was funny. I think Finlay or whatever the blue contestant was called went from loveable cheeky chappy to smug little prick very quickly as well. I think some of the Gladiators genuinely set out to hurt him by the end. He was a shit promo too.

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

We were giggling at some of the facts they had for the Gladiators. The one that could "lift the weight of a garden shed" or "run as fast as a car travelling 24mph" were so specific and weird. Why specifically a car? Surely it's anything that can go 24mph?
Wouldn't it depend what's in the shed?

Was just about to post a similar comment. It was very Matt Hardy v1 and I’m sure it’s an inside joke with the production team.

Enjoyed it, mainly because it didn’t try to reinvent the original but still got some new stuff in. Those Walsh cretins are a terrible choice, but I get why they’ve used them.

Mark Clattenburg, though. He can get to fuck.

• Paid Members

Have now watched it, and both me and Mrs Scratch loved it - it took us right back to when we both used to watch it as kids. For what it’s worth, I really liked Mark Clattenburg and thought he did a good job as an authority figure.

I never mind Bradley Walsh, he feels like the last of a dying breed of old-time, all-round entertainers who generally does a decent job. His son is terrible though. Like, really really terrible. Give him a non-famous dad and he’s not getting anywhere near a TV show.

It’s not a fair criticism of the show at all, but it did make me feel old. Gladiators of old felt like I was watching superhuman grown ups who could really beat mere mortals at anything. Watching the new one makes me feel as though I’m watching a bunch of Instagram influencers who can lift weights and do little else, which I guess is what it is to some extent.

Sign me up for next week though, it’s great fun.

• Paid Members

I love that one of the new Gladiators is called Giant, and then later in the episode there's just another one that's taller than him. Didn't even bother kayfabing a couple of inches on him.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Amiright in thinking that figure for that time slot in this day & age is absolutely massive?

On the surface, I’d say so. 6 million is almost 1 in 10 of the UK population. Although I’d be interesting to find out what the BBC’s definition of “average audience” is.

A quick Google and apparently the opening episode of Love Island 2023 only had 1.3 million viewers in comparison: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65818567

I'm going to watch the new one later with my kids when they get home from school. We rewatched a lot of OG Gladiators a few years back and they got really in to it. I was 7 or 8 when the show first started and it was the greatest thing to happen to television as far as everyone in my school was concerned. 

I used to do indoor karting around that time and the place we used to race at had an open day once where a bunch of touring car drivers and pro kart drivers turned up to sign autographs but for some reason some of the Gladiators were there too, which I didn't know about until I walked in to the cafe and Warrior, Lightning and Panther were stood there. Nearly lost my fucking mind as Warrior was always my favourite as a kid. He was off telly as I think he'd done his shoulder in but he was an absolute giant in person. I remember he had one arm in a sling and had a hot chocolate on the go as it was fucking freezing in that building. Panther was moody and fucked off early but Lightning was lovely. Will have to try and dig out the signed pictures I got.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I love that one of the new Gladiators is called Giant, and then later in the episode there's just another one that's taller than him. Didn't even bother kayfabing a couple of inches on him.

Yeah, I clocked that on the wikipedia when I was trying to see if anyone was an ex wrestler. 

GLadiators.jpg

I went off Gladiators as a kid when they got rid of Shadow. Understandable, obviously, but he was far and away my favourite and I was gutted when he went.