Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Yeah, I clocked that on the wikipedia when I was trying to see if anyone was an ex wrestler

Not sure any of them have a wrestling past but you can be pretty sure that some will have a wrestling future. WWE will probably be preparing developmental deals for some of them already! 

• Paid Members

I know a few British wrestlers auditioned to be Gladiators this time around, a couple I can think of that would have been fantastic, but nobody made the cut. 

Loved watching the show, though. Perfect balance of nostalgia and shiny new-ness that I can't think of anything in recent years that's nailed that - it'll have parents watching out of nostalgia, but doesn't look old and naff, so kids will be as amazed by it as they ever were. I have a bit of a pet theory about kids being inherently into some kind of simulated sport - Gladiators means they can get a lot of the appeal of "real" sports, but in a weekly TV format so they don't have to keep on top of stats and league tables, and each game is a quick burst of activity that's easy to understand and, with the contestants being ordinary members of the public, there's the added extra of wondering how you'd fare if you did it, and wanting to be on it yourself. Throw in some panto villains, and there's little wonder that the WWF's first boom period ended right when Gladiators came along! It's that and Power Rangers that killed it.

The only thing I was really dreading was the Walshes as hosts, and while I don't think they add anything, they fall just the right side of light entertainment earnestness to make it work. If they had somebody trying to be all wry and sarcastic about it instead, which is always a temptation with a revived show, it would have killed it instantly - it's a format that has to be played completely straight to work, especially for kids.

• Paid Members

Nice little piece in this morning's i about it, and they got 6 million viewers, which is pretty good numbers in today's landscape. I don't know whether that includes on demand views, and I'm sorry for the boring ratings talk, but it's certainly encouraging, and I'll be watching again. 

• Paid Members

Me and my daughter are watching Takeshi’s Castle at the moment but when that’s done we will give this a spin

I was obsessed with Gladiators when I was a kid! I do wonder if that was the building blocks for me getting into wrestling. Used to get so angry with Wolf that I’d almost be in tears, but then Jet would come out and all would be well

The other thing that kept me engaged was my PE teacher telling us all he was a contestant on it. Every Friday we’d be excited to see if Mr Cookson was going to be on TV that weekend….found out a while back it was all bollocks and he was just taking the piss

Finally got round to watching the first episode, I loved it all from having the original theme to Queen playing out for Duel and Hang Tough complete with the crowd doing the hand motions to the Glads going from acting tough to doing soft spoken interviews praising the contenders. Guy Mowbray did a decent job as commentator but was no John Sachs same with Clattenburg in the John Anderson role and the Walsh’s will take getting used to but it’s a good start

• Paid Members

Almost seemed like Clattenburg was doing a John Anderson impression out there, I had to Google whether he was Scottish or not. Thought he was a good addition on the whole, it's fun to have a recognisable ref. I'd like to see them do a VAR gimmick in future series and play it all a bit tongue-in-cheek.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:01 PM, waters44 said:

Me and my daughter are watching Takeshi’s Castle at the moment but when that’s done we will give this a spin

I was obsessed with Gladiators when I was a kid! I do wonder if that was the building blocks for me getting into wrestling. Used to get so angry with Wolf that I’d almost be in tears, but then Jet would come out and all would be well

The other thing that kept me engaged was my PE teacher telling us all he was a contestant on it. Every Friday we’d be excited to see if Mr Cookson was going to be on TV that weekend….found out a while back it was all bollocks and he was just taking the piss

I happened to fall across Takeshi's Castle on Amazon with Romesh and Tom Davis doing the voiceover.....awful awful awful.

Do think they needed a female presenter though to do the 'drool over the men' shtick that Ulrikakakakaka used to do, bin off Barney and get someone in who can so subtle drooling,.but solid presenting too.

• Paid Members

@Your Fight Site, some further taping inside info if you please (and thank you for the last lot - I'd always wondered if they taped games in blocks or set up/tore down endlessly).

The Gladiator entrances where they come out and do their pose on the stage - do they actually do those each time? My suspicion is they've been taped once and edited into episodes as required. 

For father and son, the Walshes have NO chemistry.  Fucking dire.

Sabre though.  Bonk, as the kids say.

• Paid Members

I’ve just noticed that if you take the letters in ‘Legend’, remove some and replace them with others, it’s an anagram of Bellend 🤔

He's easily the worst Gladiator, how he got on the show is beyond me.

Actually, the standard amongst the new Gladiators is rather poor.

But, I absolutely love this. It’s really nice to hear it’s been a resounding hit, too. Saturday night TV has needed a show like this for years.

3 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I’ve just noticed that if you take the letters in ‘Legend’, remove some and replace them with others, it’s an anagram of Bellend 🤔

He's easily the worst Gladiator, how he got on the show is beyond me.

But, I absolutely love this. It’s really nice to hear it’s been a resounding hit, too. Saturday night TV has needed a show like this for years.

It’s that Matt Does Fitness YouTuber. He’s done a few with Eddie Hall where he’ll have to eat Eddie’s food for the day and he’ll be gagging at eating a full English with extra black pudding the big fanny.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Yeah, they've got nothing on the 90s lot. I reckon the 90s Glads were throwing their remotes at the telly watching the feeble attempts at defence in Gauntlet tonight. 

Sabre is indeed lovely, though. As is Diamond. Both contenders tonight were very pleasant too.