Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

Finally got round to watching Ep2 last night.

Legend was fucking shit at that Edge game. He’s clearly looking for some panto work for the end of the year though and has overtaken Viper as top heel. He’s a shit heel as he just seems a knobhead, but he’s definitely the top heel.

Sabre is lovely though and if she sticks around could be this generation’s Jet, i.e. a lot of boys first favourite girl

If anyone's interested the new Aussie one is up on Dailymotion.

This is their third version of Gladiators but for some reason they seem to have taken most of their inspiration from the shitty Sky One version.

No crowd (apart from a handful of people awkwardly milling about in the back of some shots) but they pipe in more crowd noise than WWE. The hosts somehow have less chemistry and charisma than the Walshes, and the Gladiators themselves are all heeling it up to panto levels.

And they've gone with an 90 minute show (which is still an hour when the ads are removed) but only manage four events plus the eliminator. All four events are the same through the first round and only changed up for the quarter finals.

All that said, I'm still enjoying it for what it is. The Gladiators have better defined personalities than the new British ones, and generally seem better at the games.

And they've got Pyramid (which was deemed too dangerous to bring back for the BBC).

Most of the series is up now, despite them starting a few days after the UK, as they took the bizarre decision to strip it through the week whilst up against the cricket and Aussie Open. It never stood a chance (which means we might not get a new Ashes show over here).

• Paid Members
On 1/22/2024 at 9:20 AM, Dr. Alan Grant said:

With Hacker T Dog. 

“We’re just innocent Gladiators.”

OK, which 'Keffer is working for the BBC? 

Screenshot_20240127-125826~2.png

• Paid Members

Whilst the Gladiators are not as good as the 90s, I can't remember the candidates being this good. Pretty much all of them are gym goers and have a job requiring high athleticism. I think this double whammy is making the challenges seem like a breeze for the candidates.

Definitely missing the original music too, but all in all it's great to have something we can watch as a family on Saturday nights!

46 minutes ago, Murtz said:

Whilst the Gladiators are not as good as the 90s, I can't remember the candidates being this good. Pretty much all of them are gym goers and have a job requiring high athleticism. I think this double whammy is making the challenges seem like a breeze for the candidates.

Definitely missing the original music too, but all in all it's great to have something we can watch as a family on Saturday nights!

They are definitely in far far better shape. I watched some 90s stuff on YouTube and they are generally fit but the current ones are more on athlete level.

• Paid Members

I’m happy to admit that I think Mark Clattenburg has been excellent in this. He plays the authority role really well, a surprise highlight actually.

I was thinking in the week how underwhelming Gauntlet was and then we had an absolutely blinder tonight. I couldn’t quite work out why one Gladiator got disqualified for holding (he wasn’t) but another was seemingly fine in steamrolling the contestant back to the start. Great stuff.

I wondered if the contestant actually beat Viper at Duel and so they then decided to shoot another bit that made it look like he’d initially cheated. It’s pantomime, but I’m enjoying the hammy heeling. It’s proper Saturday teatime stuff.

Edited by Scratch