Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Didn’t they try to bring back The Generation Game a few years back? I want to say Mel & Sue presented it. 

You are correct. I have absolutely no recollection of that whatsoever.

Wikipedia has confirmed that we dodged a bullet though:

2014–2015: Miranda Hart discussions[edit]

On 20 April 2014, it was announced that comedian Miranda Hart (who appeared on the 2011 charity special) was in "early talks" with the BBC about hosting a revived version of the show.[12] A pilot episode was filmed before Christmas that year but the controller of the channel, Charlotte Moore, revealed in August 2015 that the project was "very much on hold" due to Hart wanting to concentrate on her acting and writing career.[13]

4 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

That Irish lady did so well in the games, but was unlucky in the Eliminator. I saw somebody had posted all the times for the Eliminators, and some of the women's runners-up have better times than winners of other eliminators. That must be a sickener.

Legend doing his heel schtick, then giggling because he's having such a good time has become quite endearing. I enjoyed when Diamond was being a bit heelish last week as well. Still find Fire doing a Hadouken as her "pose" funny. Fury is my favourite lady Gladiator. Nitro is cool.

I think it's three quarter finals, with the fastest runners-up going throug to the semi final with the three winners. A third/fourth place play-off would be cool as well, but maybe that's just because of all the Only Connect I watch.

it must be annoying being better than some of the winners. Maybe it would have been better with 5 winners plus 3 best runners up to make 4 qfs.Most of them just seem excited they were on there.

I've watched a couple of the first series. There aren't many Gladiators, I think 10 in total. Warrior was absolutely fucking huge. Wolf was the smallest male and he was pretty fucking big. I quite like Saracen, not sure why. 

Some of the events were a bit shit, like Danger Zone and Atlaspheres wasn't as good as I remember. Slingshot was a bit odd too.

The eliminator was different, men and women had different ones. Women had an overhead ladder, men had overhead bike. I think overall it looks tougher. 

Some interesting things happened one contestant doesn't throw a slingshot in duel, just depends to get 5pts and the crowd boo her. She's then asked why she defended and she said she couldn't get the chance and they boo more.

Another time this guy who weighs 14st is miles ahead, but he struggled with the overhead bike due to his weight and his 11st oponent eases through that and climbs the nets quicker. 

you also only go through if you a)win b)top 4 highest scorers, if a tie then quickest eliminator time.

Edited by westlondonmist

I’ve also started listening to The Gladpod, which is an interesting accompaniment if you’re rewatching the original show. The physical test just to try out to get on the show was crazy enough and has really given me an added level of respect for the condition that both the Gladiators and the Contenders are in

Edited by WyattSheepMask

8 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I quite like Saracen, not sure why. 

Because he was simply the coolest of the male Glads, tough but super nice. Don’t think Sara had a cross word at any point, he was definitely my favourite back in the day to the point I had his action figure

8 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Because he was simply the coolest of the male Glads, tough but super nice. Don’t think Sara had a cross word at any point, he was definitely my favourite back in the day to the point I had his action figure

Same here. Rose-tinted specs fully on, but it definitely felt like they were given names and "gimmicks" that better fit their real personalities than any lot since, at least on the lads' side. Then again, maybe what coke and steroids did for wrestling in terms of bringing out inner confidence and willingness to ham it up worked then.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Nitro saying "the problem is he tried to outrun me. What you might not know is I'm ab olympic sprinter". That's what a gladiator should be, but also shows the show is MASSIVELY underplaying him in the stats.

My wife and I disagree on one thing. She wants it to feel more fair and likes the gladiator's being nice to the contestants. I want it to be as one sided as possible and the gladiators to be massive heels so it's great when the contestants do win.Pro wrestling 101.

2 hours ago, Duke said:

I really enjoyed Nitro saying "the problem is he tried to outrun me. What you might not know is I'm ab olympic sprinter". That's what a gladiator should be, but also shows the show is MASSIVELY underplaying him in the stats.

My wife and I disagree on one thing. She wants it to feel more fair and likes the gladiator's being nice to the contestants. I want it to be as one sided as possible and the gladiators to be massive heels so it's great when the contestants do win.Pro wrestling 101.

Yeah, I hate how nice and pally the gladiators are with the contestants. 

35 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Yeah, I hate how nice and pally the gladiators are with the contestants. 

They were to an extent in the original, but it is a bit more over the top in this one. In the original they would congratulate the contestants but they also seemed annoyed if they failed.

Barney Walsh's mum used to be the head cheerleader on the original 90s Gladiators. So it seems both parents had a play in helping him get that job considering he has no presenting ability and is a complete charisma vacuum.

Now to try and find out how he managed to bag himself a former Miss World girlfriend.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Barney Walsh's mum used to be the head cheerleader on the original 90s Gladiators. So it seems both parents had a play in helping him get that job considering he has no presenting ability and is a complete charisma vacuum.

Now to try and find out how he managed to bag himself a former Miss World girlfriend.

You watched/listened to the Richard Osman/Marina Hyde podcast as well Wordy Lee 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If bad AIDS was a noise, it would be this.  Jesus Christ. 

Twice a week Keet, it's a really good listen and you get to find out all sorts about how TV and films are made and entertainment in general. Osman knows more about TV than you do about driving a joke into the ground, and whilst Hyde may be scum I watch wrestling so I'm hardened against it.