Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

11 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I hope for the semis and the final they change up some of the games. I understand why they do it but it's going to start getting a bit boring watching the same handful of games each week.

I'm guessing they'll do that for the next series. I'd be surprised if they brought anything else in for this one.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Assuming they refresh the line up for series 2, I think I’d bin off Apollo and Athena who have done very little of note and frankly just don’t look the part.

I keep meaning to have a look to see if there is anyone out there keeping stats on appearances & in which games etc.

It's maybe not true, but it feels to me like there are some real workhorses (Diamond, Sabre & Fury on the ladies side, Nitro the main one on the men's) whilst others have maybe done 3 or 4 games all series, making up the numbers when a game requires 4 Glads (the two you mentioned, plus Bionic). 

I'm fairly sure Comet actually has only made 2 appearances, but I've seen she screwed up her leg in an unscreened accident so that explains that one. 

Another little thing - I fucking hate when they slow down the tackle that ends a game on The Edge. Overproduced shite. The whole drama is in watching the fall in real time and we never get to, the replay is in slow-mo as well, and the Gladiators fucking up and falling off is way more exciting if we're just seeing it as is because it's so sudden. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Another little thing - I fucking hate when they slow down the tackle that ends a game on The Edge. Overproduced shite. The whole drama is in watching the fall in real time and we never get to, the replay is in slow-mo as well, and the Gladiators fucking up and falling off is way more exciting if we're just seeing it as is because it's so sudden. 

Everything that doesn't work is something they've tried to introduce to freshen it up. The slow mo, the digital crash zooms when they replay an impact or a fall, the locker room cam. Its crazy how well the old format just works without faffing about. 

13 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I think they do it because the drop is actually quite small. There's a lot of flex in the net, so in the end when they go back to full speed it looks like they've fallen miles, but the actual first contact with the net is pretty instant; I think they use the slo-mo to make it seem like the fall lasts longer than it does.

15 hours ago, Scratch said:

When they do focus on a sign in the crowd, they’re normally a bit shit and likely chosen as there isn’t another one to pick from.

Most of the signs would have been done on the day in the arena. There was a table set up on the concourse that provided paper and pens.

Like you said, at the time of the recording, nobody had a clue who they were other than a two minute showing on the One Show or similar.  There will definitely be more support in the future now they're established.

15 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I hope for the semis and the final they change up some of the games. I understand why they do it but it's going to start getting a bit boring watching the same handful of games each week.

No other games this series, and the two semis will be identical because they're the only two shows they filmed concurrently. They might mix the games order up (this weekend's was out of order as it's the one I went to). But it'll be the same games for each semi.

If it's like the old series, the introduction of new games and gladiators is the hook to tune into a new series. They introduced them slowly over the original run and most people forget that the first series had the same games in every episode. It was only series two where they started mixing it up a bit.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I like that it shows the impact of the tackle, imagine if Kevin Dunn was producing it, though. 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:31 PM, Jazzy G said:

Diamond was a little heelish the other week after she took somebody's shoe but failed to catch the contender on The Wall. She threw it away and stormed off. I agree with Fury being a perennial babyface.

Can't see Dynamite going heel either, unless she goes the Julia Hart route...

• Paid Members

Finally binged this yesterday/tonight. Cracking fun, a nice bit of throwback telly. I don't mind either Walsh, Barney is just finding his feet I reckon.

I proper want to go for a beer with Nitro, he seems he would be a right laugh.

I also want to go for a drink with Athena. For other reasons. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Got lost down a Gladiators Instagram rabbit hole. Definitely wasn't perving on anyone at all. But Viper is such a player I almost like him now despite his uselessness.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3ixpNGiEzu/?igsh=MWR6MTE3NDdvczhvNQ==

He can’t climb a wall very fast though.