Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

12 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Apparently the losing finalists picked up injuries during the final. You can see one of them twisting their ankle during The Edge. If they'd been at 100% throughout I don't think it'd been as close as it was. That short filming schedule didn't do anybody any favours. Hopefully they take a little more time to film the second series. Rumour has it there's a celebrity christmas special coming as well. Who would be good on that? Do they trot out some of the older Gladiators for a crack?

I'm sure Shadow would be up for some crack.

Seriously though, a celebrity one sounds a bit shit but I'll probably watch it.

They did the live shows in the 90s, wondering if they would do those again. You've obviously got to be careful which events you use to make set up quick. 

• Paid Members

As the second half of their target audience, I hope BBC can realise that Gladiators should be a legitimate sporting contest first, and entertainment/pantomime second. The original felt that way, even as a kid, especially when you could win a truck.

The other half of their target audience, the really young kids, probably don’t care about who wins and how they got there, so I suspect they’ll keep it as it is. That said, I’ll always remember the names Phil Norman and Eunice Huthart. No 10-year-old kid will give a fuck about Finlay Anderson though.

Assuming they can firm things up a bit for series 2, I’d like to see them space filming out more to give the rightful contenders time to recover and prepare for the next rounds. 

You can tell they had worked out who the best Gladiators were quite quickly, as injuries aside, they used some a lot more than others. A good time to let the weaker ones go and bring some fresh faces in I feel.

I don’t dislike Barney as much as others, but I can’t disagree in that he’s a poor presenter. I agree that a female would bring good things, but please not Sam Quek. Kate Abdo would do well though in my opinion.

I truly phenomenal effort in reviving something so loved, so well. It has built a strong platform for a much stronger series 2 and I’m all here for it.

43 minutes ago, Scratch said:

The other half of their target audience, the really young kids, probably don’t care about who wins and how they got there, so I suspect they’ll keep it as it is. That said, I’ll always remember the names Phil Norman and Eunice Huthart. No 10-year-old kid will give a fuck about Finlay Anderson though.

I definitely felt this way but my two daughters remembered all the contestants and who they beat and what they did. So clearly they made an impression somewhere.

Phil Norman was a competitor on five series of the show. Eunice Huthart did five as well including one as an actual Gladiator. It's a bit tough comparing anyone new to them as they were easily the most famous contenders. 

If this show has a good 5 year plus run then you will get a new Phil and Eunice. Contenders who are so good they can consistently make the Gladiators look stupid and make a name for themselves. Especially if we start having Series Champion all star specials or International shows again.

A friend of mine knows Barney through work, and apparently he’s the loveliest, kindest man in the world, basically a puppy mixed with an unusually helpful teenager.

I was gutted, I was hoping he’d be a right cunt and now I feel bad that he’s so shit at his job.

8 hours ago, weevil said:

Someone on reddit worked out a bunch of statistics on how each gladiator performed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gladiatorsuk/comments/1brrz9k/complete_gladiators_2024_series_1_statistics/

I thought Viper was a bit shit, that table pretty much confirms it. I think he can take being a bit shit though if the producers think he's doing his job of being over as a heel. But Legend is doing really well and doing better as a bad guy. I'm sure I've read that Gladiators faced the axe if they lost too much, except for Wolf because he was great in other ways. They should try and have some of the Gladiators have events that they are the best at. Just have Giant and Bionic do the duel, the old one had Shadow and Warrior the only men who did it. 

21 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

If this show has a good 5 year plus run then you will get a new Phil and Eunice. Contenders who are so good they can consistently make the Gladiators look stupid and make a name for themselves. Especially if we start having Series Champion all star specials or International shows again.

Let’s not get all Netflixy and see if the momentum continues into Series 2 before we go commissioning spin-offs and shit

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I thought Viper was a bit shit, that table pretty much confirms it. I think he can take being a bit shit though if the producers think he's doing his job of being over as a heel. But Legend is doing really well and doing better as a bad guy. I'm sure I've read that Gladiators faced the axe if they lost too much, except for Wolf because he was great in other ways. They should try and have some of the Gladiators have events that they are the best at. Just have Giant and Bionic do the duel, the old one had Shadow and Warrior the only men who did it. 

They need to get that extra gladiator back in Gauntlet as well. That could be all the difference. There are definitely gladiators who are good at certain games. Watching Fury smashing lasses off the top of that Edge thing, and just marmalising them in powerball and the ring immediately comes to mind. Nitro up the wall. 

The show definitely needs some refinement for the next series. I think I read somewhere that Bradley & Barney are back for the next series. Hopefully the writers can wind down the jokes a bit.