Gladiators

Daaaaaad!

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Well the second series has been confirmed so that's good.

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah, confirmed a few days ago and they released some other figures too. Averaged 8.3 million on the whole for the series apparently, which in this day and age is fantasticĀ 

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the whole series, but really hope they work on some bits for the second season..Ā 

- Ditch the rubbish characters and gameplayers. I think the only ones worth keeping are Legend, Giant, Nitro, Diamond, Sabre, and Fury. Maybe even Bionic.

- Ditch Bradley Walsh

- Bring back the old in game music, especially the Dual one

- Stop the Gladiators being so nice to the contenders

- Only use the fastest runner ups if they are needed as a substitute.

• Paid Members

I think Bradley Walsh is fine for it; a bit of light ent polish doesn't go amiss, but he needs a more serious cohost, he's completely unsuited to something like a serious injury update.

Barney Walsh is dreadful, though, he needs to spend some time honing his craft and paying his dues on the kids' TV circuit, brother.

I read that Barney's job is as an actor so thought that maybe he just isn't very comfortable with the presenting side of things yet. Then I caught a bit of his acting in Casualty and confirm he's more wooden than a Giant Redwood tree. Zero skills of any kind and a complete charisma vacuum.

• Paid Members

Barney is perhaps the worst TV host I've ever seen, yet it would seem unlikely they would ditch him as it would probably mean Bradley walking and there would be a load of bad feeling around the whole situation. The simplest solution is to add a female host and reduce Barney's role accordingly. I'm pretty shocked they didn't have a girl in there in the first place, not to mention that they just went with two white men, neither with any sporting background. Sam Quek or Alex Scott are the most obvious choices.

13 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I read that Barney's job is as an actor so thought that maybe he just isn't very comfortable with the presenting side of things yet. Then I caught a bit of his acting in Casualty and confirm he's more wooden than a Giant Redwood tree. Zero skills of any kind and a complete charisma vacuum.

I read some headline suggesting people wanted Barney to be the new Charlie. He'll be lucky to get that long in minutes let alone years.

Perhaps it's because I've got two kids of six and under, but this really seems to have been something of a phenomenon. My son is obsessed with Gladiators - he can do all the poses and has set up his own little events in the living room. His mates are all hooked, too.

Hopefully this gives it a bit of momentum to expand the second series - more events, new Glads, a full bracket; all that jazz.

On the final - felt sorry for Wesley but it was nice to see Finley win as at least he'd come from the heats, albeit having lost once already. Was pulling for local lass Bronte but it was a worthy end to the series.

Ultimately, the whole thing is just tremendous fun and while I'm acutely aware of how old it makes me sound, you don't get telly like that any more, do you, eh?

• Paid Members

Apparently the losing finalists picked up injuries during the final. You can see one of them twisting their ankle during The Edge. If they'd been at 100% throughout I don't think it'd been as close as it was. That short filming schedule didn't do anybody any favours. Hopefully they take a little more time to film the second series. Rumour has it there's a celebrity christmas special coming as well. Who would be good on that? Do they trot out some of the older Gladiators for a crack?

5 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Apparently the losing finalists picked up injuries during the final. You can see one of them twisting their ankle during The Edge. If they'd been at 100% throughout I don't think it'd been as close as it was. That short filming schedule didn't do anybody any favours. Hopefully they take a little more time to film the second series. Rumour has it there's a celebrity christmas special coming as well. Who would be good on that? Do they trot out some of the older Gladiators for a crack?

Make Barney do it. I wanna see him destroyed in every way possible.

Kudos to the BBC for a fantastic first series, it felt every week like the true successor to the ITV run and I eagerly await series 2

I would like to see more of a variety of games next time though, and some more of the older games return